My first practice Set, problems and disappointment

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
simonknight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My first practice Set, problems and disappointment

Post by simonknight »

Peter Laban wrote:
simonknight wrote: The half set is by Vignoles, but the practice chanter looks nothing like it. I can't see Vignoles name in that ad either. Looks like the OP bought a Pakistani POS.
Sorry, I initially pasted the wrong link, fixed that. He uses the same pic MV uses on his own site.

MV:

Tradschool Ebay:
The picture that the OP posted looks like the Pakistani set you posted in error, Peter, not the MV set. It looks like he paid for the Vignoles set and received the 230 E Pakistani junk. A real rip-off.
Simon
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

The picture initially posted doesn't look like the ones Peter did get from Michael Vignoles and ebay items (no block mounts for instance, a different material look for the chanter, etc.).

That is true that Tradschool sell sets on behalf od Michael Vignoles. I am quite surprised though that such a reputable maker would let an unplayable chanter out on the market!

Now who is to blame ?....

Pascal.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I am quite surprised though that such a reputable maker would let an unplayable chanter out on the market!
Come on now will you.. such a reputable maker. Better do a search on reputation on this forum. It's hardly undisputed.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

PJ wrote:...To my eye, the bellows looks very similar to the bellows in Ugi's photo, as does the chanter top.
I agree. Also, check out the difference in the bag cover: the suspect Pakistani (Ugi's) set has it sewn only on the back opening (plus around chanter and wind stocks). The Vignoles set has it sewn the entire lenght of the bottom of the bag (plus the other places). Also, the suspect Pakistani set has rather thin fringe with tassels incorporated into it while the Vignoles set has thicker, shorter fringe with no tassels.
Ugi

Post by Ugi »

Hey people,

a huge thank to all of your kind words and your research. I'm really getting pissed since the picture of the pakistani Set that PJ posted looks quite like my set...

I have taken three pictures of the set I've got for a better comparision:

The Bag:

The end of the chanter (you can clearly see a Vignoles sign). The metal piece beside is from Tom Aebi!

And this is the chanter (thee wooden part in the middle is also added by Tom Aebi)

I also suspect that the chanter might me a pakistani one since the one on the picture PJ posted looks really more like my one than a real vignoles chanter does. I'm now even more disappointed...

I'm writing an e-mail to Michael Vignoles with pictures and I'll ask him if its his pipes or not. I don't think it would be his mistake that the middleman sells cheap pipes under his name but I will keep you all informed about his answer.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Well the advert definately says they are by MV not Pakistani knockoffs. Hmmmm..................

John

Uilleann pipes - practice set
Made by Michael Vignoles
Uilleann pipes : New practice set by Michael Vignoles, with bag, bellows and chanter.
Michael, pipemaker and musician, has been making pipes for over 20 years. His instruments are recognised the world over for the quality of their sound & fabrication.
Every set of pipes is custom made to order from top-quality materials to very exacting standards. Your satisfaction, and the workmanship of the pipes is unconditionally guaranteed.Materials Used : Blackwood Chanter, Leather bag and bellows,(internally lined with vinyl to prevent porus leaks later ) Imitation ivory mounts. Brass Chanter Top.
Tradschool is an authorised agent of Vignoles Pipes.Any questions, contact us on 04 92 22 37 29 or info@tradschool.com
Delivery time : 2 weeks
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Elmek wrote: His instruments are recognised the world over for the quality of their sound & fabrication.
But not always the right reasons.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Peter Laban wrote:
I am quite surprised though that such a reputable maker would let an unplayable chanter out on the market!
Come on now will you.. such a reputable maker. Better do a search on reputation on this forum. It's hardly undisputed.
Sorry Peter, couldn't find anything but this :

"John Allison is, but I have purchased a full set of pipes from Michael Vignoles, and they are the work of a true artisan and musician. I consider ... priveliged to be playing a set of his pipes, as he has a interntional reputation for the quality of his work."

OR

"to be paid for and no one has the money to spend on pipes. I've heard Vignoles play and he's quite good, but I've not heard much about him as a pipe maker. He has a workshop in Galway."

Or even

"My first set was a Vignoles practice set. Michael is a very helpful fellow and his chanter has a great tone and is easily played."

"Having met the man personally and seeing his work first hand, I had commisioned a set of pipes to be made for me. As I said they are of excellent quality."

"I have personally met and heard Mr. Vignoles play and I was humbled by his abilities! "

"I've heard negative comments about Michael's pipes before, but I never took them serious because I'd have to know how good that piper is before I'd believe his spin on things."

Ah! Ah! Wait a minute...

"THe only thing that's faulty in this I think is the reed."

oooh...

"Simply put, none of the sets were in tune either with themselves or any music system known to natural man. Almost all of them had been taped or altered in some way to get something close to a scale out of them. I've been told by several other ex-Vignoles owners that this is more the rule than the exception."

Hard to make up one's mind, really! But negative comments seem to be a minority.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Let's say, you didn't look very hard. No skin off my nose.
Ugi

Post by Ugi »

Okay, Michael Vignoles responded and asked me to send the chanter to him. I think its the best to do that since he's the only one who could definitely say if its his chanter or not.
tradschool

Post by tradschool »

Hello all,
Ugi wrote: I'm writing an e-mail to Michael Vignoles with pictures and I'll ask him if its his pipes or not. I don't think it would be his mistake that the middleman sells cheap pipes under his name but I will keep you all informed about his answer.
The pipes in question have the makers mark, at the bottom of the chanter. I have been dealing in Vignoles pipes a little over a year now. I get the pipes directly from Michael. I do not sell, nor have I ever sold, pipes from Pakistan.

To Ugi: Your pipes are new & still under guarantee. In response to your mail yesterday evening, I have asked you to return the pipes either to me or directly to Michael, whose address I gave you; this in order to sort out any problems you may be having with the pipes.

Finally, I have also contacted Michael Vignoles about this issue; he has confirmed that the pipes are indeed his.

Steve
Tradschool
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I think at this point, everything that needs to be said has been said. It would seem the process for resolution has been set in motion.