OT too funny (to me anyway)-- another email scam

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Okay, this one is particularly funny to me because, for those of you who don't know, I work with gemstones and crystals and make gemstone elixirs. This came to my business email address this morning (note the customization of the letter to be of a mineral nature-lol):

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL & URGENT.

I am Mr., M GROTE an Executive Accountant with
the Department of finance of mineral resources and energy South Africa.

First and foremost, I apologized using this medium to reach you for a transaction/business of this magnitude, but this is due to confidentiality and prompt access reposed on this medium.

I have decided to seek a confidential
co-operation with you in the execution of the deal described Hereunder for the benefit of all parties and hope you will keep it as a top secret because of the nature of this transaction.

Within the Department of finance where I work as an Executive Accountant and with the cooperation of four other top officials, we have in our possession as overdue payment bills totaling Twenty - One Million, Five Hundred Thousand U. S. Dollars ($21,500,000.) which we want to transfer abroad with the assistance and cooperation of a foreign company/individual to receive the said fund
on our behalf or a reliable foreign non-company account to receive such funds. More so, we are handicapped in
the circumstances, as the South Africa Civil Service Code of Conduct does not allow us to operate offshore account hence your importance in the whole transaction.

This amount $21.5m represents the balance of the total revenue collections from income tax, mining lease and export duties in respect of diamond mines, expressed as a percentage of total tax revenues (net collections, National Revenue Account.

From these projects we have been able to secure this reasonable ammount. $21.5m as commission resulting from over invoice, hence all the necessary approvals has been completed.

This amount $21.5m represents the balance of the Estimated revenue
total value executed on behalf of my Department by foreign contracting firm, which we the officials over-invoiced deliberately. Though the actual Estimated revenue cost have been paid to the original contractor,
leaving the balance in the Tune of the said amountwhich we have in principles gotten approval to remit by Key tested Telegraphic Transfer (K.T.T) to any foreign bank account you will provide by filing in an application through the Justice Ministry here in
South Africa for the transfer of rights and privileges of the former contractor to you. I have the authority of my partners involved to
propose that should you be willing to assist us in the transaction, your share of the sum will be 25% of the $21.5 million, 70% for us and 5% for taxation and miscellaneous expenses. The business itself is 100%
safe, on your part provided you treat it with utmost secrecy and confidentiality.
Also your area of specialization is not a hindrance to the successful execution of this transaction. I have reposed my confidence in you and hope that you will not
disappoint me.

Endeavor to contact me immediately on my
e-mail address or phone number whether or not you are interested in this deal. If you are not, it will enable me scout for another foreign partner to carry out this deal I want
to assure you that my partners and myself are in a position to make the payment of this claim possible provided you can give us a very strong Assurance and guarantee that our share will be secured and please remember to treat this matter as very confidential matter, because we will not comprehend with any form
of exposure as we are still in active Government Service and remember once again that time is of the essence in this business.

I wait in anticipation of your fullest co-operation.

Yours faithfully,
Mr. FORTUNE M. GROTE.
Please reply only to this email account below
coopratetrust@netscape.net
http://www.dme.gov.za/

Fortune M. Grote... ROFL!!!! I wish I was good with really witty emails, I'd love to send something back. :wink:

Andrea ~*~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn on 2003-01-04 11:16 ]</font>
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I bet you're not even going to go for it after though reposed his confidence in you and this medium.

What's a gemstone elixer as long as we're off topic?- whatever that means on this board.

Steve
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

No, Steve, I think I shall restrain myself and resist this ever-so-tempting offer. :lol:

In answer to your question, gemstone elixirs are created by charging water with the energy of crystals or gemstones. The water holds the energy of the stones, allowing the user to affect healing on the physical, emotional, and spiritual levels. If you are familiar with flower essences, these work along the same lines as those. There's a bit more info on my website if you follow the www-icon below.

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Gemstone elixers?...too funny! This thread is hilarious.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

oh, so sorry Whitmores... :roll:
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

If you do a google search on "Nigerian scam" this has been around for a LOOONG time :grin:

One website I found had the chronicle of someone that purposely toyed with them, and had a bunch of emails going back and forth.

Aodhan
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Aodhan, yes I know... I probably should have tacked this on to the previous thread on the subject. I have received a couple of versions of the scam, I just got a kick out of how it was "personalized" to fit my business interests this time. :smile:

Andrea ~*~
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

This isn't about an e-mail scam, it's about a telemarketing scam.

This morning I received a telephone call from someone soliciting donations to support drug-enforcement officers.

As the telemarketer began his spiel, I inturrupted him to ask whether his organization had audited financial statements available, and I asked him what percentage of funds donated actually went to the organization in question.

He hesitated a moment and said something like this, "...well, after deducting expenses for printing, telephone service and salaries, 15% of the funds go to the actual cause."

What a ripoff!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulsdad on 2003-01-08 14:16 ]</font>