Fancy metronome - click or bleep?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fancy metronome - click or bleep?

Post by squidgirl »

I was thinking it might be fun to upgrade my metronome to one that does different rhythms, like the Korg CA-30 or the low-end Boss Dr. Beat. But from reading the reviews I'm getting the impression that these guys go "bleep" instead of "click". The metronome I have now (an old Kwik Time) clicks with a somewhat high pitched woodblock sound, and I like that pretty well. A bleeping metronome sounds kind of annoying to me...

So who has one of my possible target metronomes (or some other multi-rhythm metronome), and does it bleep or click? If it bleeps, how annoying is the sound? I don't want to spend $30 on something that's only going to annoy me (though I suppose that's kinda what metronomes are for,,,)
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
MTGuru

Re: Fancy metronome - click or bleep?

Post by MTGuru »

You can more or less try before you buy ... with a free software metronome that's programmable with midi percussion sounds. I like Weird Metronome for its relative simplicity, but I'm sure there are others. The side stick or wood block sounds come close to a simple click or "tock".

http://www.pinkandaint.com/weirdmet.shtml

I think you'll find that many "serious" musicians still prefer the simple click of a basic metronome over having a pseudo drum-kit in the background. Part of metronome practice is training your ear and brain to fill in missing beats (sub-divisions), and to mentally re-interpret rhythms (e.g., 3 against 2). Having those details spoon-fed to you by a metronome could actually hinder progress instead of helping, IMO. Also, in ITM, it's your melody instrument that should be able to provide the drive and lift of the music, without a percussive accompaniment. Playing against a complex rhythm background can mask a lack of lift and hinder its development.

I like my Korg CA-20 (predecessor to the CA-30). But mostly I just set it to a simple click, plus sometimes a secondary click to mark the beginning of measures. Heck, I still use my 40 year old Franz electro-mechanical metronome with its flashing light and authoritative "snap". A shame it's no longer made. I'd like pendulum metronomes like the Taktell if they weren't so prone to syncopation.

I'm no Luddite, and I love gadgets. As a guitarist I play complex rhythms, and I enjoy melody playing to good rhythmic accompaniment. But with metronomes, while bells and whistles are fun, I tend to think simple is better. YMMV ... :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

for those on Mac OS X you could try http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ronfleck ... index.html I just found this and it seems to work fine.

Bill
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

[quote="MTGuru"]You can more or less try before you buy ... with a free software metronome that's programmable with midi percussion sounds. I like Weird Metronome for its relative simplicity, but I'm sure there are others. The side stick or wood block sounds come close to a simple click or "tock".

http://www.pinkandaint.com/weirdmet.shtml
quote]

Am I the only one that immediately clicked on the "play" button when that webpage loaded, only to find that it's not an actual online metronome?
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Whatever you get make sure it's loud - I don't like the modern ones cause I can't hear them very well.

Deisman
I'm on it...
lalit

Post by lalit »

The bleepers are loud, but tend to have a distinct pitch. I find the pitch annoying as it creates intervals against whatever I am singing or playing. I use an old electronic clicker.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

move past click and bleep and tick tock too:-
http://www.indianmusicinstitute.com/ele ... ic%20Tabla
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I personally HATE metronomes that have that high-pitched electronic beeping. Trying to play along with that would drive me nuts.

I have a Franz metronome that I really like. It has a natural-sounding tone, like a wood block.

What's really nice for ITM is that you can set it to play a lower "klock" on the downbeat and a higher "Klick" on the upbeat giving you a great background to practice reels against, helping you to get that backbeat lift.

What I haven't seen is an affordable, portable metronome that will do "additive rythms" such as 2+2+3+2+2 (Bulgarian kopanitsa) etc.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
West

Post by West »

pancelticpiper wrote:What I haven't seen is an affordable, portable metronome that will do "additive rythms" such as 2+2+3+2+2 (Bulgarian kopanitsa) etc.
You mean varying time signatures? That would probably require some kind of pattern programming capability, and then we'd be moving into drum machine territory.

I used to have an old (I'm guessing... early eighties maybe?) electronic metronome that I kept in my guitar gig bag. It went bob-bop-bop with no accents or anything, and it was great. Unfortunately I lost it somehow. I also dislike clicks that have a discernible pitch, it's very distracting.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson