POLL - If your arm was being twisted...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

If someone insisted on giving you a Low Whistle of your choice, would you choose?

Burke Composite
15%
Burke Brass
15%
MK
19%
Overton
30%
Other -please specify-
21%

Total votes: 91

anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: POLL - If your arm was being twisted...

Post by anniemcu »

Infernaltootler wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
So... if I get the Overton, I can lose 28lbs?! Sold! :lol:
I suppose you would if you put it in your mouth instead of fudge. :lol:

Now you mention it I think whistling has helped me loose weight because it gives me something to do instead of eating. It's an oral fixation thing.
It could be that I'll lose the pounds chasing our flautist about trying to retrieve my whistle! Once he gets a taste of the Overton, I'll probably be reaching for air! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I got the Overton tunable Tenor D. It arrived the day after Christmas. Absolutely fantastic!! I hope someday to be able to do it justice.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Have fun, annie!
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Infernaltootler wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
So... if I get the Overton, I can lose 28lbs?! Sold! :lol:
I suppose you would if you put it in your mouth instead of fudge. :lol:

Now you mention it I think whistling has helped me loose weight because it gives me something to do instead of eating. It's an oral fixation thing.
Wow! If we spread this information around, whistles will become the hottest thing since Blackberrys, and then I might actually find a friend who plays one!!

...and...and...maybe the local music shops would stock SOMETHING besides electric guitars!!

[breathing into a paper bag now]
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

anniemcu wrote:I got the Overton tunable Tenor D. It arrived the day after Christmas. Absolutely fantastic!! I hope someday to be able to do it justice.
"You have chosen wisely." :D

My friend Alec has an Overton low D which is one of the loveliest low whistles I've ever encountered--also one of the few actually loud enough to be heard in our sessions.

I think you'll enjoy that whistle!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I just voted for an Overton. Since I recently voted with my wallet for a Colin Goldie Low D tunable it seemed the sensible thing to do. Of course if I was asked I would probably choose something else at random to increase my collection and experience......

Not that I have much experience to back up the choice - I have a cheiftan low-D (used-to-be) tunable that I acquired second hand. So why buy a new expensive whistle when I am no expert? Could be the first signs of WOAD, I guess, but I rationalised it like this. I kept wondering if the difficulties I was having were due to me or the whistle..... so I got a quality whistle that was made and tested by somebody who is held in high regard on this forum (and I can now see why he is). Now I know I have absolutely no excuse for blaming the whistle. So its practice, practice, practice.

I am enjoying myself immensely - not sure my partner is, but at least the plastic susato high D stays in the drawer so the dogs are happier.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Congrats on your new Overton low D!

I myself play, and prefer, the Burke Viper, but I recently tried an MK which was simply fantastic so that's what I voted for on the poll.

It's of course a matter of taste (with some whistles, literally) but I've never been an Overton fan, not back in the late 70's when I first owned one, not now. I've played many over the years, some mediocre, some very good, but I've never been a fan of they way they play. Partly it's just that I don't like a hunk of metal stuck in my mouth, and I much prefer the Burke's delrin mouthpiece. To me the Burke performs the most like a flute of any low D I've tried (but that one MK was magic).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

anniemcu wrote:I got the Overton tunable Tenor D. It arrived the day after Christmas. Absolutely fantastic!! I hope someday to be able to do it justice.
So, speaking of tunable... Do you think the tunable overtons are worth the extra coin? I've seen a few people playing non-tunable overtons with groups (piano and guitar) and everything sounded just fine. There is probably a thread on this too... I'll go search. But let me know what you think.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

We'll let the zombie necromancy pass for now. :o

Tunable whistles are worth it if you need to tune them. :wink: If you play in a range or temperature conditions, or with fixed-pitch instruments, or in sessions or groups that tune high, or to adjust for underblowing / overblowing as a technique, etc. Otherwise, a non-tunable pegged to A=440 may do the trick.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Finikey O'Reeley

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

I enjoy my Dixon 3-piece polymer low D. I have no other low D to compare it to, but I like the sound & "playability". Looks nice too! :)
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

MTGuru wrote:We'll let the zombie necromancy pass for now. :o

Tunable whistles are worth it if you need to tune them. :wink: If you play in a range or temperature conditions, or with fixed-pitch instruments, or in sessions or groups that tune high, or to adjust for underblowing / overblowing as a technique, etc. Otherwise, a non-tunable pegged to A=440 may do the trick.
yeah I'm new to the forum thing. :tomato:

thanks for the comment though, it was helpful. I'll be going for an MK low D first, so that will be tunable, and less money than a fixed Overton I think. We'll see how much money have when its time to get an overton. :party:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

usfenderfsdlx wrote:yeah I'm new to the forum thing.
Welcome to the Chiff! :)
usfenderfsdlx wrote:thanks for the comment though, it was helpful. I'll be going for an MK low D first, so that will be tunable, and less money than a fixed Overton I think. We'll see how much money have when its time to get an overton. :party:
Yes, slightly less, US $248 vs $287 at today's exchange. Just be aware that if you're ordering new, I understand that Misha (MK) has a substantial wait time for orders, 6 months to a year.

It's pretty common to have to adjust tuning at sessions, especially if there are other whistles (or flutes) present. Two whistles out of tune with each other can be pretty painful.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll second the Sweetheart. I have one in Dymondwood and LOVE it. A bonus is that it's pretty easy to finger.
If weight is an issue, the Burke composites are VERY light and he makes an EZ fingering model.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PeteyWhistle

Post by PeteyWhistle »

Overton.

I've never played a low whistle, but the name Overton seems reputable

Pt
usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

MTGuru wrote: Yes, slightly less, US $248 vs $287 at today's exchange. Just be aware that if you're ordering new, I understand that Misha (MK) has a substantial wait time for orders, 6 months to a year.

It's pretty common to have to adjust tuning at sessions, especially if there are other whistles (or flutes) present. Two whistles out of tune with each other can be pretty painful.
Ok, thanks! I'll keep this in mind.