Favorite Irish Flute Album (CD)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Favorite Irish Flute Album (CD)

Post by Akiba »

I'm very interested to hear what folks think of as their favorite Irish flute CD, either of all-time or your favorite at the moment.

I have only a few CD's, still growing the collection, but right now I am loving John Wynn's "With Every Breath". Phenomenal playing, tremendous variety of tunes, styles and backup instrumentalists with some high and medium-low whistle thrown in. Just great.

Jason
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My favorite is "Dark of the Moon" with Grey Larsen...

I've listened to a LOT of Irish flute players in the last year+, and I like Grey best. He has an expressiveness I don't hear in other players. Matt Molloy is great and I like listening to him, but it always sounds like he's in a hurry - either to get to the bar or the bathroom, I suppose. Most Irish flute players seem to be in the mode of "put as many notes and embellishments as possible per unit of time". I like expressiveness better, myself. Grey can put lots of "stuff" in there as well, but he never sounds rushed to me.

'Course it may be, in part, that I spent a week with him and Cindy last summer as well...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Irish flute, probably Loozin' Air by Garry Shannon. Simple-system flute, The Man with the Wooden Flute by Chris Norman. Nothing else even comes close. Once my wife was asking who was playing when Loozin' Air was on, then when I told her, she said Garry sounded a little like the Chris Norman of the Irish flute. The opening set of reels is incredible (it's no wonder Kevin chose it as the opening cut of WFO); the second cut of jigs is done sooo smoothly; Micho Russel's slides are wonderful, but the thing that really stands out for me is the set of mazurkas. That set is quite possibly my favorite Irish fluting of all.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Looking for something a little different? Try 'Shady Woods' by Desi Wilkinson. His control of tone & pitch is wonderful on these slower tunes - a genre often avoided by many other flute recordings.
Henke

Post by Henke »

"Shadows on Stone" by Matt Molloy. No contest really. I love his other albums, and I'm very fond of McGoldrick, Egan and Crawford (I do need to start trying to appreciate the older players more), but this album is a work of art, from the first few notes to the last it's magical. It's not 100% traditional like the "Black album", it feathures more progressive and interesting accompaniment, it has the odd classical tune, but there are quite a few tracks there that are 100% trad. And I don't think Molloy's playing has ever been better than on this album. Haven't heard this one? Buy it now!

Also- It goes very well together with a well matured, smooth Speyside
whisky :)
bayswater
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bayswater »

"The Gloup" by Mark Roberts. It's a killer album - they play so laid-back and cool (and fast and furious - on different tracks though :)) - I love it.
connie

Post by connie »

I have to name two recordings as there so differentand I can't pick a favourite

Matt Molloy's The Stony Steps. One of the first flute albums I ever bought and I never tire of it.

Conal O'Grada's The Top of Coom. There is classic rawness and power captured in that recording.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Connie just read my mind. Those are the two I'll always go back to and they're the two that have instilled my strongest feelings for the instrument.
drewr

Post by drewr »

Well I have to throw in Brendan Mulholland's new "Tuned Up" album. I paid $18 to download the MP3s and it's the best entertainment money I've spent in a long time. Although there are other tunes from other albums I should be learning, I'm still obsessed with figuring out several tunes from this collection. I'm also transcribing them as I go (the transcriptions on thesession.org don't seem to even be close to what he's playing). If anyone is interested in taking a look at the "dots" just drop me a PM.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

"Don't Touch the Elk" by Niall Keegan.
Kevin Crawford's "d Flute album", and "In Good Company".
All of Mike Rafferty's, especially "Speed 78".
Of course the Wooden Flute Obsessions.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
tedsoulos

Post by tedsoulos »

Matt Molloy - Heathery Breeze
Mark Roberts - The Gloup

Also right now I have an "album crush" on Paul McGratten's Keelwest.
"The secret to fast is slow."
David Cantini
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

Harry's next one...
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

I recently listened to Josie McDermott's 'Darby's Farwell' which has flute and whistle playing. Great stuff. Been trying to get my hands on one to no avail. Anyone have one that they already downloaded onto their computer and would be willing to part with?
weedie

Post by weedie »

Another great Flute CD is 'Southerly Breeze'..This is a collection of Aussie Flute players,playing Irish Trad...most with tasteful accompaniament (one day I'm going to learn how to pronounce AND spell that word !!)....
You can get it from Mr Terry McGee...Good value for money this one ..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
JS

Post by JS »

Here's another vote for Desi Wilkinson's Shady Grove, which, along with Harry Bradley's As I Carelessly Did Stray, has been among the favorites on the player this year.

It's New England rather than ITM, with its mix of contradance and fife tunes but Skip Healy's Purgatory Chasm deserves a listen from flute lovers as well.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk