loose hedjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
billcoulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

loose hedjoint

Post by billcoulter »

Hello fluters,

I have a 3 key Sam Murray. Lately it seems that the headjoint is quite loose when I put the flute together. Almost seems that it might move when I play it. Is there an easy way to make it tighter? Have I heard of using dental floss over the thread?

Thanks so much.
Bill Coulter
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

first try to figure out if it's caused by the flute drying out
billcoulter

Post by billcoulter »

thanks for the post

hmmm, it is true that I have not oiled the flute in a long while - and have been traveling to some dry places. . .

Are you suggesting that some oil on the inside of the part where the tenon goes into the headjoint will swell the wood a bit and it may fit more tightly?
Bill Coulter
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

You should definitely make sure the flute is properly oiled and humidified. If the head joint is still loose, a few windings of waxed dental floss should give you a snug fit. This is a very common fix.
Denny

Post by Denny »

if the rings get loose you've gotten to the point where it is almost too late to panic :D

if a joint gets loose over a short period of time it is most likely due to the flute getting too dry
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

That happened to my flute, and Mike Rafferty took and put pluming tape around where the thread was, and I haven't had a problem yet with it.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

billcoulter wrote:thanks for the post

hmmm, it is true that I have not oiled the flute in a long while - and have been traveling to some dry places. . .

Are you suggesting that some oil on the inside of the part where the tenon goes into the headjoint will swell the wood a bit and it may fit more tightly?
Oiling's secondary; if it's made of blackwood, oiling's negligible, IMO. If your flute's drying out, what it needs is to be humidified.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
billcoulter

Post by billcoulter »

thanks to all for the help with this

so how can I tell if it is drying out?
Bill Coulter
Denny

Post by Denny »

the joints get loose..... :wink:
there's the buy a hydrometer technique...works pretty well

Santa Cruz is at 82% right now, if you have windows open then it isn't likely that the flute is drying out.
If you have the heat on then the humidity inside should be below the 82%.

Is it cork lapped? Do you grease often? (like a wee bit almost every time you put it together)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Denny wrote:the joints get loose..... :wink:
there's the buy a hydrometer technique...works pretty well

Santa Cruz is at 82% right now, if you have windows open then it isn't likely that the flute is drying out.
If you have the heat on then the humidity inside should be below the 82%.

Is it cork lapped? Do you grease often? (like a wee bit almost every time you put it together)
The humidity is about 8% in Los Angeles at the moment, Santa Cruz is 33% humidity, a little better, but not enough to hydrate the flute. Is the Murray boxwood?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah ha......so much for weather.com, eh :o
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Bill,

I'll echo the others--get thee to a humidifier! That flute was made in Ireland, a land I've heard of very high humidity, i.e. dampness. It seems to me, and this is a bit of conjecture, that Irish flutes made in Ireland tend to crack more easily.

Get a cake container or something that has a lid and will fit your flute as well as keep in the moisture, put a sponge and a hygrometer, something that will tell you the humity within the container, and keep it between 55 and 65%. I try to keep my mopane Burns, as Dave Copley suggests, between 60 and 65%.

Please do it ASAP--I'm a bit scared and worried about your Murray. :boggle:

Jason
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use a guitar humidifier (called a Dampit) and a digital hygrometer I got (cheap) on eBay - total outlay is less than $20... I hope you're not too late!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

1. Humidify at 60% or more.
2. Or play daily.
3. If still shrunk, one or two turns of teflon tape or dental floss or polyester thread at joints but NOT TOO MUCH, and NOT TOO TIGHTLY. (You can always add more, but the joints will swell as you play and you don't want to crack the sockets with too-thick tenons. Also, if the flute still has some swelling to do you don't want to bind the tenons.)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Cathy Wilde wrote:1. Humidify at 60% or more.
This is good advice up to a limit. I recently found one of my stored flutes covered in specs. As I recall, the presence of mold is a function of humidity, temperature, hygiene, and air circulation.