Blackbird arrived

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bill Hennessy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Blackbird arrived

Post by Bill Hennessy »

Just received my new Blackbird from Jerry. What a terrific whistle! A beautiful tone and wonderful between octaves. I really enjoy this whistle. Thanks, Jerry, for such a terrific instrument.

Peace.
Rhadge

Re: Blackbird arrived

Post by Rhadge »

Bill Hennessy wrote:Just received my new Blackbird from Jerry. What a terrific whistle! A beautiful tone and wonderful between octaves. I really enjoy this whistle. Thanks, Jerry, for such a terrific instrument.

Peace.
Sounds great.
I am waiting for mine to arrive soon, as long as it doesn't get stopped in customs.
chef Paul

High Hopes for this whistle

Post by chef Paul »

I used to have a Freeman Tweaked Generation D brass that was absolutely the BOMB. It was hands down my favorite whistle. I liked it better than my Sindt or or Burke or even my Overton...any of 'em. (and like most on this site from what I gather I have struggled with whoa) It was freaking awesome and I was ready to trade 'em all in and just become a champion of the tweaked Gen D.

Then one day I dropped it and the fipple extension that Jerry put in as part of the tweaking fell out. So I promptly and perhaps a bit desperately too, ordered two new ones from some one on line (that way I'd have a back up, just in case) When they arrived I ripped open the package like a 4 year old on x-mass...at last my whistle tooting world would be back to normal! To my utter and complete disapointment one of 'em was not any where near as good as the first and the other was much worse to the point of being borderline unplayable in the upper register. Very raspy and sqeaky to be specific. I've had untweaked Gens that were better. I also ordered a Tweaked Mellow Dog too, it was ...ehhh...so so. Out of desperation, I ordered another Gen D from someone else, this time nickle plated. OK, but still not the apparently elusive "great" tweaked Gen D.

I'm not trying to sound neagtive. I know Jerry contributes to this site and I am truly a fan and supporter of Jerry's work. I realize that whistle making/tweaking is far from an exact science and that getting any two let alone all of 'em to sound alike is not likely to happen. But I do wonder, has anyone else had this kind of experience with Jerry's tweaked whistles? It's been kinda frustrating (not to mention costly). And more importantly, (as I'm sure many of you know this kind of feeling who are still looking for that elusive prefect whistle) I thought I had found THE whistle. How can I get another one like the first?

I'm hoping maybe Jerry's new "Bird" will fill the VOID.

P
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: High Hopes for this whistle

Post by MTGuru »

chef Paul wrote:How can I get another one like the first?
Hmm ... I wonder why you didn't simply contact the maker (Jerry) to have the damaged whistle repaired, or have another made to your preferred voicing, instead of fishing for a comparable replacement from other sources. And/or why you can't do that now. My impression from working with Jerry is that he has remarkably good control over the exact voicing of his instruments.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Paul, give me your mailing address, and I'll send you a Blackbird. No charge, of course.

Regarding tweaked Generations, I would recommend that anyone considering a tweaked Generation who doesn't already have a Mellow Dog or Blackbird, get a Mellow Dog or Blackbird first. As Paul has reported, Generations are variable. They are the most difficult whistles I work with to get consistent results. I'd be happier if I could spend more of my time with the Mellow Dogs and Blackbirds, and less with Generations.

Best wishes,
Jerry
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I've not tried one of Jerry's Gens, but from my own experience with the Mellow Dog I know that some of his whistles can take a little perseverance and adjusting of technique to get the best out of them.

I have a Mellow Dog that I've had for a couple of years. At first I just couldn't get on with it. Breath technique that tamed a standard Feadog or Generation didn't cut it with the Dog. I posted here to say as much and was told to keep at it. I did keep at it, and the Mellow Dog is one of my favourite whistles.

It wouldn't surprise me if a period of experiment improved your experience with the replacements. As Jerry says, Gen's are sometimes inconsistent.

I know some people consider the variability between Generation whistles as apocryphal or unproven, but it is fact. Witness the difference in quality between the "ridged" and smooth Gen Eb heads. One is sweet as a bird, the other is completely unremarkable. Jerry may correct me, but I think that difference is down to molding quality rather than a really different head design, such as the differences between mk I, II and III of the Feadog heads.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

Just got my Blackbird yesterday and absolutely love it :D
I did not find any problem with the breathing, in fact I found it just the opposite. I found I could go a lot farther with less breath. Maybe that is from playing flute so many years. Anyways, I found the notes clean and easy to obtain. For me it was great for my fingers. I was able to move quickly and with little effort. Can't say enough good about this whistle.
Great job, Jerry!!!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sorry if this has been covered in one of the Blackbird threads...

What is the volume like?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Hmmm....I am thinking about getting one of these for my next whistle. Couple of questions though (since I got burned kinda bad with my Susato):

1. Is this a whistle that a beginner can play without much effort?

2. What does the whistle look like....any pics?

3. Is there any sound clips?

4. How does it compare to a Traditional Dixon (was thinking about getting a Dixon as my next whistle)?

Rob
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

rap4th wrote:Hmmm....I am thinking about getting one of these for my next whistle. Couple of questions though (since I got burned kinda bad with my Susato):

1. Is this a whistle that a beginner can play without much effort?

2. What does the whistle look like....any pics?

3. Is there any sound clips?

4. How does it compare to a Traditional Dixon (was thinking about getting a Dixon as my next whistle)?

Rob
perhaps DocJones' site will have sound clips up soon but he has a nice description (as well as a comparison to the Mellow Dog) on there.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite ... 1=58&c2=84
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Blackbird description:

The Jerry Freeman tweaked Blackbird is a standard body penny whistle noted for its pure, birdlike voicing, especially in the high register. It plays clean and pure throughout its range and records beautifully.

Hardcore traditionalists love the Blackbird because it has playing characteristics similar to the traditional mass produced whistles, but with a sweeter, cleaner voicing and smoother playability. It requires a gentle breath control, especially in the lowest notes. The Blackbird is medium in loudness, quieter than some whistles, but with a bright, clear timbre that carries well.

Blackbird vs. Mellow Dog comparison:

The Freeman tweaked Blackbird is a quieter whistle than the Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog. The Blackbird has a purer (you could say "less complex") voicing, especially in the upper register, which is very birdlike, hence the name. The Blackbird requires more subtle, gentle breath control, whereas the Mellow Dog will accept a more forceful breath. The Blackbird is a standard body whistle; the Mellow Dog is a wide body whistle.

In addition to being a lovely sounding whistle that advanced players enthusiastically endorse, the Blackbird is recommended for beginning players as they develop breath control. Although it requires a gentle breath in the lowest notes, the whistle is very clean playing and consistent throughout its range, so it will reward very quickly, the practice needed for a beginner to master its playing characteristics.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Black whistlehead, nickel plated body.

The Blackbird starts as a key of D Feadog. I don't call it a tweaked or modified Feadog because it's an entirely different whistle when I'm finished with it. If I used the name Feadog in describing the Blackbird, it would confuse people.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

So then, it's a nickel Feadóg body with your Blackbird head, correct?

Also, will it fit OK on other standard-sized D brass bodies? Or will it be loose because it's made to fit a nickel-plated body?

I'm wondering if the Blackbird may play similarly to a Mellow Dog with the C body.

Thanks,
Jason
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I think there may be some confusion that may need clearing up. My
blackbird (received yesterday) head has a new ramp glued on, like
the MellowDog head. So, this, as I understand, is not yet using the
head mass-produced by Freeman Whistles, correct?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jason Paul wrote:So then, it's a nickel Feadóg body with your Blackbird head, correct?
Yes, that's right.
Jason Paul wrote:Also, will it fit OK on other standard-sized D brass bodies? Or will it be loose because it's made to fit a nickel-plated body?
Sure, it will fit. In fact, in the course of development, we tested the Blackbird head on different 1/2 inch tubes - Feadóg, Generation, LBW, Waltons - brass, nickel, and aluminum. The Blackbird sound comes through, with some coloration from the tube. If it's loose, a bit of Teflon/PTFE tape will snug it right up. If you prefer brass, just substitute your favorite brass tube.
Jason Paul wrote:I'm wondering if the Blackbird may play similarly to a Mellow Dog with the C body.
I'll let Jerry answer that, but the Blackbird is a quite different whistle from the Mellow Dog.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.