Old Movies: The Hat Factor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Old Movies: The Hat Factor

Post by mutepointe »

My family mocks my "Old Movies: The Hat Factor Theory." Can you believe it? Comments please.

I am a baby boomer from the middle of the pack. I do not like many old movies. My parents, older brothers and my wife and older people seem to like old movies that are set in the 1900's-1940's. I used to say that most of these movies have no relevance to me. What my family and I gradually noticed was a strong correlation between how many hats were worn in a movie and how much I liked a movie. The more hats, the less that I like the movie. Ladies in fine millinary hats, ladies in hats that are an exact match to a dress or coat, men in cowboy hats, dress hats, army combat helmets and gas station attendent hats, are all great indicators of my dislike of a movie. I've seen mob scenes where everyone wore a hat and their sunday best. What kind of people cause mayhem in suits and ties? (I know, Republicans)

My family has quizzed me with clips of movies. I am quite accurate in telling the difference between an old movie and a new movie by how the hats are worn. People in the old movies could put a hat squarely on their head perfectly, including hat pin, without a mirror, and leave the hat alone. Modern day actors fuss with the hat, need a mirror to check their appearance, and can't leave the hat alone. They're always changing the slant. There is one exception to this theory, modern men can wear a baseball cap without a second thought.

Three hats and it's out. That's my rule of thumb. Grapes of Wrath is one exception. They wore a lot of hats in that movie but those wear dusty, dirty hats, not fancy hats.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

A movie where womens' hats match their dress or coat is probably a musical--I loathe musicals (West Side Story included). I love old movies. The hats worn in old westerns are usually silly and, you're right, far too clean, but even in modern westerns they show men wearing the standard "cowboy hat." Any study of old photos of the late 1800s will show you that all men wore hats but very few wore anything that resembled the standard western movie cowboy hat. I've never let that stand in the way of my love of old movies--particularly westerns!

Fedoras are great, too...actually men in the 40s probably starting wearing those because of the movies rather than the movies reflecting real life. Nevertheless, they look great. My grandfather wore them. I still remember visiting a home in Carmel, California, in the early 70s and seeing an older gentleman arrive home from work in raincoat and fedora, take them both off, hand them to his wife and give her kiss on the cheek. Took me right back to my grandfather--and Ozzie and Harriet.

Men might want to reconsider the hat thing (baseball caps are so laid back). I went to a pro tennis match in southern California once in the mid-70s. A man in his late 20s-early 30s walked into the stands in a light brown suit and matching fedora. I couldn't take my eyes off him--and neither could every other woman in the place. He looked GOOD and I couldn't even see his face.

Susan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

susnfx wrote:He looked GOOD and I couldn't even see his face.
That's kinda creepy, Susan. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Nanohedron wrote:
susnfx wrote:He looked GOOD and I couldn't even see his face.
That's kinda creepy, Susan. :wink:
:P
djm

Post by djm »

My dad used to wear a grey fedora and a brown leather pea jacket with suede front to work. It was a very handsome combination. I remember we all loved to try his hat on.

It's too bad they are so out of fashion, now. I look very good in a fedora.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

My dad absolutely, positively, NEVER wore a hat. Except when he was in the Navy. Didn't matter how cold, or how much sun he was working in, he NEVER wore a hat.

My older son has worn some type of baseball hat (correctly, not these huge things sideways that seem to be the rage today) since he was about 2 years old. Still does to this day (except when he's in his Navy uniform).

There are some men that look really GOOD in "cowboy" hats. There are some that look good in hats, period. There are others that shouldn't wear them at all.

For women - totally different. I usually wear a hood or wrap a scarf around my head, because otherwise I'll have a bad case of "hat hair" for the whole day. I did have a decent cowboy hat - the oldest kid stole it in high school and never gave it back. I will wear a baseball hat, and pull my hair up and through the hole in the back of it.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Hats and motorcycles don't mix well, but when I take the car I like wearing my flatcap. I also have a black Aussie-style hat that I like a lot.
I don't give a rat's tail about what's in fashion; I wear what I want.

*Edit* I'll take Ubuntu over Fedora any day. *edit*
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Two words: Indiana Jones.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

The more hats in the movies the better for me.

Big fan of Classics from the 30s and 40s.

I wear vintage hats nearly every day... with at least a sports coat often more.

I favor Fedoras and Trilby.

My current favorites are a chocolate brushed beaver fur Trilby with a stingy brim and a tobacco smooth felt fedora with a wide grosgrain band, trolly and a mid size brim.

The latter does look a bit like a "indy" hat but think more Bogart than Ford.

I'm off to go shopping. I'll be grabbing my hat off the hat rack on the way out.

:)

I'm on board with Cofaidh!

Wear what you want!

You make the fashion!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
dwest

Post by dwest »

I have worn an Akubra Bushman in Nullarbor tan during the winter with a flat braided kangaroo leather band for over 34 years, it's holding up very well.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Certain hats are absolutely crucial to movies. Indiana Jones would be one of them. And then there is this lovely hat (and dress)

I want that hat. I really do. And that dress. I will find them one day too. Just you wait :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Izz, but I just can't see Indiana Jones wearing that hat.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote:Sorry, Izz, but I just can't see Indiana Jones wearing that hat.

djm
I don't know, Deej...he could look quite fetching. I think we should find someone to Photoshop it onto him, just to be sure ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I want that hat. I really do. And that dress. I will find them one day too. Just you wait
Here ya go Miss Izzy-

http://www.bonnets.com/hats.html

for the dress, you'll just have to find the pattern and start pumpin' that ol' treadle Singer machine.

Oh, and back to the subject at hand- My granddaddy always wore a fedora, even working out in the field on the farm. My dad usually wore a flat hat.

I love hats, on men or women(although I'm not a fan of cowboy hats-I think it's the attitude that often goes along with them that throws me off-you know, the big belt buckle, the cowboy boots, the swagger....)

Hats are fun.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

susnfx wrote: I went to a pro tennis match in southern California once in the mid-70s. A man in his late 20s-early 30s walked into the stands in a light brown suit and matching fedora. I couldn't take my eyes off him--and neither could every other woman in the place. He looked GOOD and I couldn't even see his face.

Susan
I bet nobody could take their eyes off him! Something riveting about a pimp . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau