Vibrato, how to do it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rhadge

Vibrato, how to do it?

Post by Rhadge »

I was very impressed by The Fureys - The Lonesome Boatman, and the smooth whistle playing in that tune.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rULrp_J ... re=related

I'm curious how to do vibrato with the whistle, like that which is used in this tune. Of course, I can vary the tone by blowing harder or softer, but he does it in such a fast pace. What's the technique behind it?
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Often what is used is finger vibrato.

Basically, you wave a finger over a hole. Try skipping a hole and/or just shading the side of the hole.

Jason
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Jason Paul wrote:Often what is used is finger vibrato.

Basically, you wave a finger over a hole. Try skipping a hole and/or just shading the side of the hole.

Jason
I tried half-holing repeatedly and got the desired effect. Thanks!
By skipping, do you mean drawing the finger horizontally over the hole?
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

By skipping a hole, I mean leave the next hole down open, and wave your finger over the next hole.

Example; if you want finger vibrato on G, leave the F# hole open and use the E hole for vibrato. Just experiment. Often though, using finger vibrato over the hole immediately below the note you're playing will be too strong of an effect.

Hope that helps!
Jason
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Jason Paul wrote:By skipping a hole, I mean leave the next hole down open, and wave your finger over the next hole.

Example; if you want finger vibrato on G, leave the F# hole open and use the E hole for vibrato. Just experiment. Often though, using finger vibrato over the hole immediately below the note you're playing will be too strong of an effect.

Hope that helps!
Jason
Yes, that helps very much.

But if you half-cover the hole immediately below, I think it gives a vibrato that's not too strong.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I think that will depend on the note, the whistle, and your technique.

Jason
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I also prefer using the "two holes down" method as Jason Paul mentions. To my ear it gives a strong enough change that the vibrato is distinguishable but it does not change the pitch of the note so much that the intonation suffers.
Most of the skilled players I've seen either wave their finger above the next tonehole down, never coming into contact with the body (takes extreme finesse and muscle control), use the two-hole-down method, or a combination thereof.
Additionally, when playing a lower keyed whistle such as Bb I've found myself wavering my bottom two or three fingers on just about any note above G for a different sound.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's simple really, without over-analyzing it. Just use some combination of fingers on the holes below the note you're playing. Half-holing, cross-fingering (skipping holes), whatever. Different combinations produce different depths of vibrato. Experiment, don't be rigid. Every whistle is different. I tend to half-hole G, and E (of course); my finger touches the tube.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cprescigno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cprescigno »

I think if you watch this video closely of Vinnie Kilduff he uses the finger technique in this very melodic piece.
One of the benefits of these You Tube Videos is you can often see how they are getting a particular effect.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxu0cclU9M

Charles Rescigno
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I (and by extension others) use five different ways of making vibrato:

1) fully closing and opening a hole one or more holes further down the tube.
Example: low F#: xxx xov

2) partially closing one or more holes by tapping the sides of the holes with flat fingers. (This is the way a lot of trad players I saw did it when I started playing back in the 1970's).
Examples:
A: xxo vvo or xxo vvx
B: xoo vvo or xoo vvx
The advantage of this is that the intensity of the vibrato can be altered by changing the angle of the flat fingers.

3) partially closing the hole the note is emitting from by tapping one finger on the edge of the hole. I only use this on E:
xxx xxv

4) using a rapid, shallow throat vibrato. I use this only in the upper octave.

5) using a slower "diaphragm" vibrato. I use this on bottom D and occasionally on other low notes.

When I use what depends on the context.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Pan sums up the available techniques admirably. I'd only add that, in good taste, any form of vibrato should only be applied sparingly and judiciously in specific, chosen places as an ornament/special effect, not used constantly. Heaven forbid that one should end up sounding like that style of singer who NEVER sings the actual written/intended note but fluctuates around it by a minor third either side! (And just sounds out of tune and wobbly!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

There also middle D vibrato, opening and closing T1, which works on some whistles and flutes.

Vibrato can also be applied as an "ornament" to long notes in faster tunes. It's a nice effect.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Guinness wrote:There also middle D vibrato, opening and closing T1, which works on some whistles and flutes.

Vibrato can also be applied as an "ornament" to long notes in faster tunes. It's a nice effect.
Good one, I forgot about that completely though I do it all the time.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

pancelticpiper wrote:5) using a slower "diaphragm" vibrato. I use this on bottom D and occasionally on other low notes.

When I use what depends on the context.
How does one make a diaphragm vibrato? Anything specific to have in mind?
I can after reading your post make the vibratos you mentioned, of course not perfect but at least you notice it's a vibrato, but can't figure it out with the diaphragm.

Thanks
Guinness wrote:There also middle D vibrato, opening and closing T1, which works on some whistles and flutes.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is T1? I presume it's the first hole on the flute? Then I guess I'm out of luck with my Clarke Original...
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Rhadge wrote:what is T1? I presume it's the first hole on the flute?
Yes. I don't know if Grey Larsen was the first to come up with this convention but the top three holes are T1, T2, T3 and the bottom B1, B2, and B3 as described in his book. It's meant to replace L1, L2 and L3, and R1, R2, and R3, which is ambiguous for "left-handed" players.