Southern California Tionól 2008

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

costume

Post by wolvy »

I'm coming dressed as a "ghost D".

last year, I was a "Hard D" and almost got arrested.
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

Just a reminder, if you are planning on attending the SoCal Tionól and haven't pre-registered, please send me an e-mail or pm (larry AT socalpipers DOT com). If you're looking for a lift from an airport, let me know and we'll try to help you out.

Thanks,

Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hello all,
I will also be attending. Its going to be great!

By the way, I am in the process of starting to sell cane that I have harvested here in Southern California. Under the tuteleage of reverred reed maker Michael O'Donovan, I have began making reeds for my pipes and harvesting cane. I had inquired earlier this year of Michael where to harvest some cane since I was looking to get into reed making for my pipes. Michael informed me of a few locations he had found that produced GOOD SOFT cane. He suggested that if I harvested enough, that currently there was a market for selling cane to reed makers and pipe makers. With Michael's advice and guidance, I have harvested (dead standing) what I believe to be some very good cane. I gave Michael a few tubes to judge he quality of the cane. He said that it looked and felt the same as the good cane he had harvested before. He made a few reeds from it and told me they turned out very well. Recently, I made a few reeds from the cane, and they have turned out really well. Michael actually emailed me today to see if I would be bringing some cane with me to buy for himself and another pipemaker/reedmaker.

With all that said, I will be bringing a bunch of the cane with me to the Tionol for sale. I would love for anyone to check it out or try it out. You can pick out exactly what you want. I have soft cane or harder cane available. The price is $2 per tube. I am aware that this is more expensive that Medir cane, however with gas prices the way they are (I drive 2 hours away from my home) and with time spent hand selecting and handling the cane, this is the price I currently must charge for now.

Also, I am currently working on a website which should be up and running soon. However, I can take orders through PayPal. Simply email me. I am willing to send out free samples if the other party can pay for the shipping. I stand by and guarantee my cane. If you find the cane is to hard, brittle, to soft or not the correct size; simply send the unused portion(s) back to me for your money back or a free replacement, and I'll pay the shipping back to you. Any other questions please email me: sampsoncane@gmail.com. I've also attached what will be the front and back of my business card. Thanks everyone! All the best,

Last edited by Joseph on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph Sampson
Sampson Cane- California cane
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
http://sampsoncane.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'll be dressed as a Scottish piper...just like every other year.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Wish I could attend this year. I'm sure you all will have a lot 'o craic even without the Salt Lake pipers in attendance.

Joseph, glad to hear from you! Hope all is well. Save some of that cane for me! (I sent you an email)

Cheers all!

John
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

We'll miss all you guys from the Zion curtain!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Joseph, just by looking at your product photo I can see, without a shadow of a doubt, that you are on to the right stuff. Bring a bunch to the tionol as early x-mas presents for all and assundry. :)
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Mr. Smith (since we are both Joseph :lol: ),
thank you for kind comment. its very encouraging.
As far as the Christmas presents go, I'm not sure Santa will be at the Tionol although I hear he can play Rakkish Paddy with the best of them on his Wolfe set.
all the best,
Joseph Sampson
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Joseph wrote:Mr. Smith...
Mr Smith...I assume that is your name :-)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fel bautista wrote:
Joseph wrote:Mr. Smith...
Mr Smith...I assume that is your name :-)
For the purpose of this board, yes, yes it is. :D
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'm bringing my C/G and Bb/F anglo concertinas if anyone is on the fence about bringing similar instruments to have some tunes between classes...

I'll be there all day/night on Saturday...
Last edited by eskin on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

see you all tonight! I'll be dressed as the worlds largest leprechaun, all 6'7" of me....
Joseph Sampson
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Sleep...sleep... and a fun time by all. And thanks to Tommy for his memorable version of Old MacDonald
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I had a great time!

Didn't end up going to the piping classes as I was hanging out at the reedmakers' court the entire time!

Michael O Donovan got tantalisingly close to figuring out a staple design that works in my chanter (very short, the shortest he had ever encountered IIRC) and rather wide.

I got to try one of his fantastic spruce chanter reeds, which played like a dream.

As always the tionol was very inspirational.
wolvy

tanks

Post by wolvy »

As usual - what a great bunch of folks and what a ton of fun we all had. Great piping and great craic.

I wish to thank Ted Anderson and David Quinn for their expertise, advice and "pipe tweak suggestions". My pipes are purring nicely now, thanks to their help. ...and in tune (not that that ever stopped me before). : )

Thanks, Ted, for the great drone reed too.

- Tom Wolverton