Irish Myth Request- Update: Thanks to everybody!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tweety
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish Myth Request- Update: Thanks to everybody!

Post by Tweety »

Update

November 9, 2008

Thanks to everyone for their help with these myths. I just got the grade back from my teacher, and he gave me an A and said that he liked my report. Thank you all again, I am very grateful.

~Tweety~

Hello everyone! I was wondering if you could help me with an English project I am doing. For this project, I need 3 myths from the country where my ancestors are from. I, being very Irish, chose Celtic mythology for my topic. For our presentation, we have to have a love myth, a hero myth, and a myth describing a natural phenomenon. I have already found the first two, but I have been researching for days and haven't been able to find anything suitable for a natural phenomenon legend. I was wondering if any of you knew of any or knew where I could find any. Any help at all would be appreciated, I'm really stuck. :boggle:
Thank you all! :)

~Tweety~

November 9, 2008

Thanks to everyone for their help with these myths. I just got the grade back from my teacher, and he gave me an A and said that he liked my report. Thank you all again, I am very grateful.

~Tweety~

Last edited by Tweety on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You must be yourself; look after yourself and yours, in small things as well as great. If luck goes against you, at least there's the comfort that you lived according to the instructions.
-Henrik Ibsen
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

What kind of natural phenomenon? Would something like a selkie tale be of use (selkies being creatures that feature heavily in Irish and Scottish lore...they are seals in the sea, but humans on land).

This is also a good place to ask such things:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/

While it's mainly a translation site, quite a few folks there are into Irish history and lore, and they could probably give you guidance. Tell 'em Redwolf sent you so they won't say something like "uh...this is a translation site."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dwest

Re: Irish Myth Request

Post by dwest »

Tweety wrote: myth describing a natural phenomenon.~Tweety~
Would that include animals like the Dobharchú, my family's own myth?
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

For this project, "natural phenomenon" means something along the lines of "why does the sun shine?" or "why are there plants?" Also, does anyone know where I could find good gaelic pronunciations? I am having trouble pronouncing the names that I find in the stories.

Redwolf- I was considering doing something about the selkies somewhere else in the project. I loved "The Secret of Roan Inish" when I was younger. For that matter, I still do.

Thanks for your help!

~Tweety~
Last edited by Tweety on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must be yourself; look after yourself and yours, in small things as well as great. If luck goes against you, at least there's the comfort that you lived according to the instructions.
-Henrik Ibsen
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

You might want to have a look into Finn McCool, The Isle of Man and the Giants Causeway.

http://www.geographia.com/northern-ireland/ukiant01.htm

I'll try and thing of a few more as the night goes on...and the beer starts to flow.

Later,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Thank you so much dubhlinn! I think this will be perfect! Thanks to everyone for helping me out! :D

~Tweety~
-Henrik Ibsen
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Then of course there's Cattle Raid at Cooley for heroic fair.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:You might want to have a look into Finn McCool, The Isle of Man and the Giants Causeway.
Doh..beat me to it :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dwest

Post by dwest »

dubhlinn wrote:You might want to have a look into Finn McCool, The Isle of Man and the Giants Causeway.

http://www.geographia.com/northern-ireland/ukiant01.htm

I'll try and thing of a few more as the night goes on...and the beer starts to flow.

Later,
D. :wink:
I thought this was suppose to be myths? :boggle: :lol:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Finn MacCumhail, even.

I was going to suggest the Lia Fail - the stone that shreiks when the true King of Ireland stands (or possibly sits) on it. Some maintain that this stone was brought to Scotland when the Scots invaded it (from Ireland) and is now known as the Stone of Scone. Its whereabouts are in dispute since the object in Westminster is suspected not to be the real Stone of Scone.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Finn MacCumhail, even.

I was going to suggest the Lia Fail - the stone that shreiks when the true King of Ireland stands (or possibly sits) on it. Some maintain that this stone was brought to Scotland when the Scots invaded it (from Ireland) and is now known as the Stone of Scone. Its whereabouts are in dispute since the object in Westminster is suspected not to be the real Stone of Scone.
I heard that back in the fifties it was discovered the stone was emitting radon, unfortunately the genetic damage had been done.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the leprechaun's pot of gold.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We're pretty good at doing math and science homework too, so keep the homework assignments coming. I think we made an "A" on our homeschool science project this past year.

We're even good at providing kids questions to stump the teacher.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Tweety wrote:For this project, "natural phenomenon" means something along the lines of "why does the sun shine?" or "why are there plants?" Also, does anyone know where I could find good gaelic pronunciations? I am having trouble pronouncing the names that I find in the stories.

Redwolf- I was considering doing something about the selkies somewhere else in the project. I loved "The Secret of Roan Inish" when I was younger. For that matter, I still do.

Thanks for your help!

~Tweety~
I can help you with pronunciation if you like. I've been studying Irish for almost five years now (btw, it's "Irish" if you're speaking of the language spoken in Ireland. "Gaelic" is usually reserved for the related, but different language spoken in Scotland), agus tá mo chuid Gaeilge go maith. :wink: . The folks at IGTF would be happy to help as well...that's a good place to ask if you have names that are in Old or Middle Irish (sometimes when you find these old tales, the names have been updated to modern Irish, but sometimes they haven't).

Given your "natural phenomenon" criteria, I'd go for Finn McCool and the Giant's Causeway...that's the closest I know of to that kind of thing in Irish mythology.

And if you ever do do the selkie thing...I'll be happy to sing "An Mhaighdean Mhara" for you (that's the song upon which "The Secret of Roan Inish" was based, and happens to be my party piece)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Tweety wrote:Thank you so much dubhlinn! I think this will be perfect! Thanks to everyone for helping me out! :D

~Tweety~
My pleasure .

Now here's the crack.

The vast majority of Irish People know the legend through a song by the Wolfe Tones..an horrendous band if ever there was one.

They can be, I suppose, be called the "Musical wing of the I.R.A.".......indeed.

Once upon a time, and probably still is, there was this huge lump of rock out in the middle of the North Sea and none of the neighbouring countries, with territorial rights were bothered.

One day, some body figured out that there might , possibly, ye never know, be about a bazillion or two gallons of oil underneath the rock.

Thanks be to God that it is not anywhere near Iraq..or Iran.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1maOiysZe-4

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats