Candy Corn

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you feel about Candy Corn?

It's deeee-lish-ous. I would eat it every day.
24%
A nice seasonal treat.
32%
Strictly for decorative purposes only.
5%
I eat once piece just to make sure it's still inedible.
21%
Spawn of Satan.
18%

Total votes: 38

peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Lambchop wrote:
Dale wrote:Not only do I not eat the individual colors, I'm not sure I've ever had less than five or six pieces in my mouth at one time.
You said that just to upset us.
Lambchop, let's talk about this. Why would it upset you?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Lambchop wrote:
Dale wrote:Not only do I not eat the individual colors, I'm not sure I've ever had less than five or six pieces in my mouth at one time.
No. Some people are really like this.
My husband, for example, will take a handful of Jelly Belly™jelly beans out of a bag and shove them all in his mouth at once. He has always done this.
Yes, and any given handful may contain...oh...peanut butter, jalapeño, peach, buttered popcorn, and licorice. All together.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

peeplj wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Lambchop, let's talk about this. Why would it upset you?

--James
Because the subtle differences betwee the tip, center and bottom of the candy corn is lost if you put more than one in your mouth.

Another odd eating habit of mine involves peanuts. I take each nut apart and eat that little hard nugget like thing in the middle before eating the rest of the nut. Sometimes I eat the whole thing, shell and all.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

peeplj wrote:I've seen folks eat candy corn in amounts that would have make me bazooka barf.

--James
On that note ...
About 10 years ago, when my daughter was 2, we were at my in-laws home over Thanksgiving. The Friday after Thanksgiving is always "Turkey soup for lunch" day (for obvious reasons). So, we all have have our turkey soup, then most settle in for a beer/nap/football game ...
My daughter, apparently, had discovered one of those 'ornamental' bowls of candy corn on a coffee table somewhere in the house, and proceeded to consume probaby a fist-sized amount. We only know the amount she actually consumed because sometime around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, she complained of a tummy ache, so we brought her into the bathroom to -- er -- eliminate what needed to be eliminated. After first purging her lunch of turkey soup into the bowl, she then proceeded to extricate what looked like a stretched-out quarter-pound of white corstarch, the size and shape of a small banana.

I will NEVER again consume the Spawn of Satan that is candy corn (nor will my daughter).
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

emmline wrote:I'm fairly certain that you and Slude are cousins on my dad's side, and Nano is closely related on my mom's side.
In that case, there must be some ancestor on your dad's side that didn't like candy corn, 'cause I can't stand the wretched things. Bleh.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Candy corn! Mmmmm! Loved it as a kid!

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

fyffer wrote:
peeplj wrote:I've seen folks eat candy corn in amounts that would have make me bazooka barf.

--James
On that note ...
About 10 years ago, when my daughter was 2, we were at my in-laws home over Thanksgiving. The Friday after Thanksgiving is always "Turkey soup for lunch" day (for obvious reasons). So, we all have have our turkey soup, then most settle in for a beer/nap/football game ...
My daughter, apparently, had discovered one of those 'ornamental' bowls of candy corn on a coffee table somewhere in the house, and proceeded to consume probaby a fist-sized amount. We only know the amount she actually consumed because sometime around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, she complained of a tummy ache, so we brought her into the bathroom to -- er -- eliminate what needed to be eliminated. After first purging her lunch of turkey soup into the bowl, she then proceeded to extricate what looked like a stretched-out quarter-pound of white corstarch, the size and shape of a small banana.

I will NEVER again consume the Spawn of Satan that is candy corn (nor will my daughter).

I did a similar thing with Pistacho nuts when I was about 10, ate about a pound of the things, then puked the lot. Put me off pistachios for about a quarter century.

Candy Corn. It's not the worst American candy, but it's not the best.

The most disappointing candy yet was those communion wafer things you get in a tube. Necco wafers.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Martin Milner wrote:
The most disappointing candy yet was those communion wafer things you get in a tube. Necco wafers.
I like those too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

I note with dismay that there is no poll option for "I don't know what the h*ll you're talking about.

Owen
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

MagicSailor wrote:Hi

I note with dismay that there is no poll option for "I don't know what the h*ll you're talking about.

Owen
This is what Candy Corn looks like:

and these are the ingredients (according to this site):
Regular Candy Corn Ingredients
Sugar,
Corn Syrup,
Confectioner’s Glaze,
Natural and Artificial Flavors,
Salt,
Artificial Colors, (FDC Yellow 6 Lake, Red #40, Red 40 Lake, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue #1, Yellow 5 Lake),
Egg Whites,
Honey Glycerin,
Mineral Oil,
Carnauba Wax
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

and then there was the cute little dancing Candy Corn:

That's about the only Candy Corn I think I like :D
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

emmline wrote:I used to like it, seasonally, but I think it was more that I liked nipping off the sections color by color. One of those neat convergences of sugar-eating and obsessive-compulsive behavior.
Wow... so I'm not the only person in the world who does this?? :boggle: I don't eat it any more, but that was always my favorite thing about candy corn.

/joining Emm in the OCB corner

Edited to add: I should have read further to find that Izz did the same thing. I know, I shouldn't be surprised. :-D
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Candy corn is one of my favorite treats! I seem to be the only person in the candy corn eating population who has always recognized the standard variety as being honey flavored, tip to stern. The only reason the white is stiffer is because it is smaller and therefore has a higher carnuba wax percentage due to surface area to volume ratio.

I am also a fiend for Necco wafers which are simply flavored confectioner's sugar pressed into convenient tongue sized disks. Necco stands for New England Candy Company, who also makes those lovely candy hearts for Valentines day.

I'm a sweets freak....rarely met a candy or dessert I didn't whole=heartedly endorse. Some of my cravings are seasonal (pumpkin pie, toasted coconut marshmallows, ribbon candy) and others are decidedly not with the season. I get a little frantic trying to find decent peppermint ice cream in July.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

aderyn_du wrote:Edited to add: I should have read further to find that Izz did the same thing. I know, I shouldn't be surprised. :-D
LOL! That's what I said as I read your response. It's those Wonder Twin powers :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I adore candy corn. It's one of my favorite things! I have to watch myself this time of year, or I'd easily make myself sick on it (and I'm glad it's not as widely available at other times of the year, or I'd be as big as a house!)

Martin, I can relate to the pistascio nut story. I did the same thing once with a 3 pound coffee can full of home-cured olives, sent by our thoughtful relatives in the San Joaquin Valley when I was about 10.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!