Please critique my recording...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

A great job Michael. Your playing puts
me to shame. Be sure to keep us informed
on your up-coming album.
Lolly
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Michael, I always look forward to hearing your playing, and I've never been disappointed. Not really concerned about the guitar, but your whistle playing is always wonderful, and I enjoyed the bodhran, too.

Have you heard of Pat MacSwyney? He's from up Santa Barbara way, and he does a lot of multitracking -- cittern, bodhran, whistle, etc. It took me awhile to get used to it, but he's worth a listen.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My, that is a great recording! Don't change a thing.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I also think it's great and doesn't need to be changed at all. A CD would be great...make sure to let us know when you get it done.

As for tunes, how about the Blarney Pilgrim? I may be able to think of a lot more when I get rid of my splitting headache.

Thanks for sharing!

:smile:
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Superb.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Very well done, Michael! Your playing has a lovely drive to it, just what I like to hear.
Suggestions for the CD? How about The Irish Washer Woman and Danny Boy?.....ONLY JOKING!! I'll leave that one to your obviously excellent judgement.
Thanks fo a lovely track, and I really look forward to hearing your forthcoming material.
Best wishes, Adrian
Pan

Post by Pan »

Michael,

great tune. Me being a hobby guitarist with a Martin, I´m a little curious about your guitar. Which modell, strings and so?

I play a D16T myself, with Elixir 0.11 nano´s right now, will put on some Daddario PB 0.11 soon as I have somewhat grown tired of the Elixir sound.

You have some nice soft sound on your guitar on the track, I guess the DADGAD helps with that but I would guess you have relatively thin strings?

Do you play other guitars? I have a Lowden also, the big O-size 0-23 Cedar/Walnut, really nice fingerpick guitar.

Hearing your track make me really wanna get on with recording myself. I will get my sterling Copelands (high + low D) any day now and looking for a preamp for my Earthworks mic´s.

Oh.. I´m looking to buy a good bodhran, any sugestions?

Recording is FUN! :smile:

/Peter
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Wow! Talk about a rich sound. Loved it! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Pan,

My guitar is a two year old Martin OOO-28H, a small body model with scalloped braces, tuned DADGAD. I'm using light Martin strings. It has a very full and defined sound.

On stringed instruments, I'm primarily doing flat picking on tenor banjo, tuned GDAE, or backup on bouzouki or DADGAD guitar. Just for fun, I'm learing to flat pick tunes in DADGAD as well, which is a real mental exercise. Its forcing me to use some higher positions on the neck which I seldom have to do on the tenor banjo.

I do love the sound of finger picking on DADGAD, but probably won't take that on for a while.

Cheers,

Michael
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Michael -
That's really nicely done... very, very musical from start to finish.
Best,
Chris
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-12-27 17:19, eskin wrote:
As far as effects, I've got a little chorus on the guitar to spread out the image,
Michael, what chorus were you using? I usually don't care much for chorus effects but it worked really well on this piece. As I said earlier, it almost sounded like you were panning slightly in time with the beat. Usually chorus effects just sound kind of "busy" and "scattershot" to my ear. This one was good enough I didn't even realize it was a chorus!

John
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm having some trouble with my Media Player, but the first 10 seconds were delightfully played and smoothly mixed (maybe I'm drinking too much wine lately; ah yes, the arrogant aromas were surpassed by the flagrant bounty of the exploding tastebuds....help)Anyway, nice feel to it. Thanks.

Philo
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

very tastefully done. nice even playing.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Just came back from another grueling session with the dentist. Had to play your tune again. I really need to banish misfortune.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Eh that's good stuff! So good that I'd like to criticize on something, since I don't like it when something is perfect! :smile: Well, I think you don't have enough variations in Banish. That tune has lots of room for variations, and it seems that everything is repeated almost exactly twice in your version. But the rythm, phrasing, etc, is great. I'm just an average player and I'm as harsh with my own stuff...