What's your ringtone?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is it OK to program your phone to play loud annoying pop music when it rings?

Yes
25%
No
38%
I never figured out how to change the ringtone of my phone, so it plays the annoying Nokia tune.
6%
My phone plays ITM, of course!
13%
My phone rings, just like a phone should!
19%

Total votes: 32

izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

If you have a way to download mp3's onto your phone, here is a cool place to get them for free

http://audiko.net

You can find just about anything there, and I believe there's a way to make them yourself via the site as well.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My ringtone is...silence. I don't own a mobile phone and I hope to end my life without one. I am not a luddite - I own all kinds of neat electronic gadgets. I just do not think anything is important enough that it couldn't wait for me to listen to a voice mail.

My wife bought one a year or so ago so she might insist that I get one too. As my mother used to say, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."
Mike
djm

Post by djm »

Agreed. I have one for work as I'm on call 24/7, but for personal use I actually object to the interuption. The only valid reason I can think of for personal use for me is to contact roadside assistance in case of car trouble. Other than that, I can't justify the cost or the need of a cell phone.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Another way to get songs onto your phone, provided that you have a microSD slot on your phone and you also have the microSD card for your phone, is to get a handy dandy card reader/writer. (mine cost about $10 and works for digital camera chips too, among other slots i never use) It works wonders for me and i haven't had to purchase a ringtone, ever.

All you do is stick your card into the correct slot. (for mine, the miniSD mates with the SD adapter and then goes in the reader slot.) I have nifty software (adobe audition) that allows me to edit an mp3 file to the length that i want it to be, and any part of the song, save it onto the microSD and from there once the chip is back in my phone i transfer it to my phone storage.

This does sound like a bit of a pain, but it's really only because i have a Razr and the tiny card is located rather inconveniently. If it were anywhere else, it wouldn't be quite a hassle.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

djm wrote:Agreed. I have one for work as I'm on call 24/7, but for personal use I actually object to the interuption. The only valid reason I can think of for personal use for me is to contact roadside assistance in case of car trouble. Other than that, I can't justify the cost or the need of a cell phone.

djm
Apart from the fact that my employer expects me to have a phone when I'm out on a job, and I sometimes have to call and ask for advice, I have found it is very difficult to get a land-line connected to an anchored boat...

Another point is that more and more people decide they can not justify the cost of a land-line and use only the cell phone. Mine has a neat button to turn it off with, something most land-line phones lack... Having lived afloat for more than 16 years, I've had a cell phone for far more of my life than I've had a land-line.

But, let's not hijack the thread and start discussing justification for having a cell phone. Back, if you please to the ring tones.

Owen
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

CrazedHavoc wrote:This does sound like a bit of a pain, but it's really only because i have a Razr and the tiny card is located rather inconveniently. If it were anywhere else, it wouldn't be quite a hassle.
I don't know why Motorola decided to put it behind the battery. My old LG
had a slot in the side. Very convenient. But Verizon still didn't want you to
use those files as ringtones... I had to flip a few bits using BitPim.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

fearfaoin wrote:
CrazedHavoc wrote:This does sound like a bit of a pain, but it's really only because i have a Razr and the tiny card is located rather inconveniently. If it were anywhere else, it wouldn't be quite a hassle.
I don't know why Motorola decided to put it behind the battery. My old LG
had a slot in the side. Very convenient. But Verizon still didn't want you to
use those files as ringtones... I had to flip a few bits using BitPim.
Hmmm... was this supposed to be a thread about how annoying the ringtones are, or about passing around advice on how to get more of them....?

:swear:

Owen
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Well I have to own up to STM as my main ringtone (Deaf Shepherd). But I have ITM and blues for family members (Loretta Reid and Billie Holliday), they each have thier individual ring tone.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MagicSailor wrote:Hmmm... was this supposed to be a thread about how annoying the ringtones are, or about passing around advice on how to get more of them....?
I rather thought it was a poll about whether they're annoying or not...
Maybe I don't understand what "poll" means? :)

Anyways, what if you're cellphone doesn't have a "real phone" ringtone?
You gotta get it on there somehow!
djm

Post by djm »

Dorset poll:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
fearfaoin wrote:
MagicSailor wrote:Hmmm... was this supposed to be a thread about how annoying the ringtones are, or about passing around advice on how to get more of them....?
I rather thought it was a poll about whether they're annoying or not...
Maybe I don't understand what "poll" means? :)
no, the poll was not whether they are annoying, but whether it's OK to have annoying ringtones... :D
Anyways, what if you're cellphone doesn't have a "real phone" ringtone?
You gotta get it on there somehow!
OK, good point, it just seemed to be degenerating into a discussion on getting music onto the phone...

Owen
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

BigDavy wrote:have ITM and blues for family members (Loretta Reid and Billie Holliday), they each have thier individual ring tone.
You're related to Loretta Reid and Billie Holliday? :o

Owen
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Mine plays the Ohio State Fight Song. I much prefer if all they did was ring, but none of the 'real' rings are loud enough for me so I caved. If it's going to sit in my pocket and ring, I should atleast be able to hear it in a crowded place.

When my wife calls it plays James Taylor. When my daughter calls it plays the Von Bondies When y son calls it plays Foo Fighters.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I have no ring tone.

I got rid of my cell phone.

I can't tell you how liberating it is. I don't have to keep track of it and best of all I don't need to pay for it.

You want to call me? Call my office or my home and leave a message.

I prefer email.

Funny thing is that now everyone expects you to be available 24/7 and that its somehow wrong not to be.

To hell with that!

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

burnsbyrne wrote:My ringtone is...silence. I don't own a mobile phone and I hope to end my life without one.
You know, I was quite content without having one. I rarely talk on the phone as it is. We did have one of those pay as you go jobbies for a while, but only because I wanted a way for the kids to get a hold of me if something happened at home when I was out doing the shopping or something. But then something happened that required we get a an actual cell plan. That something was the iPhone, and Mr Izz had to have one. Now I have a pink cell phone that plays cool ringtones that I actually like, and I never use it :P I do have unlimited text messaging, in case Mr Izz needs to get a hold of me while he's in class, and can't call. Or if I need him to get a gallon of milk on the way home from school, and I don't want to bother him with a call. I actually use my texting more than I will ever use the phone the regular way. (rolling eyes) But I do like my ringtone....I suppose that makes up for me never using the darn thing. ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.