What's your ringtone?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is it OK to program your phone to play loud annoying pop music when it rings?

Yes
25%
No
38%
I never figured out how to change the ringtone of my phone, so it plays the annoying Nokia tune.
6%
My phone plays ITM, of course!
13%
My phone rings, just like a phone should!
19%

Total votes: 32

kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I wish I knew how to add my own ringtone to my cheap LG phone. I'd like to use the breaking glass sound at the beginning of Gentle Giant's "In a Glass House".
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

When I had an Ericcson, I had it play Bach's Toccata and Fuge in D Minor - or at least, the opening bars. I could also program it to play different pieces for different callers. So the irritating caller who was always phoning me with questions that he could have answered himself, got Colonel Bogey's March.

Now I have a Motorola, and cannot work out how to get a coherent piece of music onto the ring-tone without paying money. B*st*ds! So instead it is set to Vibrate first, then ring. Mostly it's clipped to my belt, and it's a point of honour to answer it before it actually rings. When it's off my belt, it's switched off.

I work in an office where Sales people and managers from other offices arrive, pick a spare desk to park their stuff, and go into a meeting.
They always leave their mobile phone on the desk, and they always leave it switched on. Mostly it goes off, maybe three or four times while the meeting goes on. It proves how important they are. These days we tend to shut the noisy things in a desk drawer. I have, before now, interrupted the meeting and thrown the phone at its owner.

I am considering now answering the things and promising everything to the caller, whoever it is.

This practice really does have to stop. One of my colleagues asked me "Why? We have ordinary phones ringing all the time."
"But they are an awful lot quieter." He had to agree.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Now I have a Motorola, and cannot work out how to get a coherent piece of music onto the ring-tone without paying money. B*st*ds!
Does it not come with software so you can move mp3s onto the phone?

I've never paid for a ringtone in my life and have no idea why anyone would when most new phones come with a USB cable and phone manager software. Rip MP3 from CD, copy to phone, choose ringtone. Easy.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not quite. It's got iTunes on it. Mp3s go into iTunes, not into ringtones.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Not quite. It's got iTunes on it. Mp3s go into iTunes, not into ringtones.
Oh, so you're the guy who bought a Rokr.
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Down Under »

Hmm, I use Welsh or Australian Country music as my prefered ring tones, but I'm all for a proper sounding bell too. I also keep the ring volume down and have the 'phone set to vibrate. My message recieved tone is the sound of birds singing...Gives a whole new meaning to 'Budgie smugglers' when that goes off in your shorts pocket in a public place...

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
dwest

Post by dwest »

My phone just rings but I understand they have pushbutton phones now too that have like three or five different ringtones, neat. Maybe that's why I never win those dial-in radio contests.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Mine's the "red alert" siren from Star Trek. Besides the obvious dork factor, it's amusing when my phone rings and everybody jumps.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

chrisoff wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: Now I have a Motorola, and cannot work out how to get a coherent piece of music onto the ring-tone without paying money. B*st*ds!

I've never paid for a ringtone in my life and have no idea why anyone would when most new phones come with a USB cable and phone manager software. Rip MP3 from CD, copy to phone, choose ringtone. Easy.
Not all phones come with the extras. Mine is a Nokia 2366i and just came with the phone and the plug in charger. I had to buy the car charger separately, and I haven't seen any USB cables that would fit. No software either. Guess that's what I deserve for picking the free phone when I changed phones.
Charlene
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I had a cell phone on which I chose a ringtone that sounded like a phone
ringing. I never answered it when I was away from home, because I thought
the sound was a landline ringing, instead of my cell.

The only ringtone I've ever bought was one that featured a man actually
saying "Riiiing, Riiiiiiiiiing, Riiiiiiing!" It was awesome.
chrisoff wrote:
Rip MP3 from CD, copy to phone, choose ringtone. Easy.
The US cell market is weird. You generally have to buy your phone from the
provider because each one has settled on a different technology. And so the
provider has ultimate control over the phone. Some US providers, especially
Verizon, like to lock down their phones so that you have to buy everything
from them. I have a RAZR from Verizon and I had to do a bit of hacking
before I could download mp3s to it to use for ringtones.

Right now, my ringtone is the "Mahna, Mahna" song from the Muppets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevYBsShxNs
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Charlene wrote:Not all phones come with the extras. Mine is a Nokia 2366i and just came with the phone and the plug in charger. I had to buy the car charger separately, and I haven't seen any USB cables that would fit. No software either. Guess that's what I deserve for picking the free phone when I changed phones.
Almost all phones are free on contract in Europe, you guys get ripped off over there (for once it's not the UK that's on the bad end!). But that's beside the point.

That phone you mentioned has bluetooth, if you really can't get a USB cable (http://www.buywirelessnow.com/smartwire ... ory/231681)
you could transfer files from a bluetooth enabled laptop or buy a bluetooth adaptor for your computer. They cost about £10-£15 here, imagine they're much the same in dollars over with you.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

fearfaoin wrote: The US cell market is weird.
I agree. One of the few tech sectors where the Europeans get the much better deal.
djm

Post by djm »

One of the funniest I heard was a recording of a man's voice with a thick Indian accent: "Brnnng. Pick up dee phone. Brnnng. Brnnnng. Pick up dee phone." etc.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

What we need is the cell phone version of those crazy 80s
answering machine tapes... No one ever got tired of those!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewsuLjJpEo
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

chrisoff wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Not quite. It's got iTunes on it. Mp3s go into iTunes, not into ringtones.
Oh, so you're the guy who bought a Rokr.
Shouldn't that be the ROKR

I have three tones- stock for work and such
First 8 bars of Spike Island Lasses for family
First 8 bars of Bucks of Oranmore for friends

Yes, its geeky, but I do have an iPhone :-)