new whistle advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
grandelich
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

new whistle advice

Post by grandelich »

I just started whistling about a month ago but I really like it and would like to get a decent whistle. Im looking to spend no more then 100. Any suggestions, Thank you.
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

I'd get a Freeman Mellow Dog C/D set (two tubes, one mouthpiece). Runs about US$41 last I checked. Or you can wait for Jerry to bring out the Blackbird (how's that coming Jerry?). Others will mention their favorites shortly.

Oak, Feadog, Clarke and Generation all make good cheapies. I'd go with the Oak for starters, it is a good whistle right out of the box. Feadogs are a little more tempermental than Oaks but will teach you breath control. Clarkes are nice but take a lot of air unless you tweak the windway which probably isn't the easiest way to start. I'd also get a Generation Bb just because it's such a good whistle and the lower range makes it easier on the ears.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Clarke Original and Dixon Traditional.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
deisman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

either buy a tweaked whistle (Jerry) or figure out how to tweak them yourself. then save up for a high end whistle while you get better.
I'm on it...
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: new whistle advice

Post by MTGuru »

grandelich wrote:I just started whistling about a month ago but I really like it and would like to get a decent whistle.
What whistle are you playing now? Maybe you already have a decent whistle. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree with the idea of getting a couple of cheapies, possibly tweaked, while you learn to play. This will give you time to figure out what kind of whistle sound you prefer so when you decide to buy a higher end whistle you can make a more informed decision.
OTOH, you may remain perfectly happy with your cheapies.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

Interesting that no one has mentioned a Susato. They are under $100 and I thought that a lot of people thought they were very good???? :-?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

violinmyster wrote:I thought that a lot of people thought they were very good???? :-?
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

A Sindt in D runs about $90, I think, and I hear good things about them. Never tried one, but it's an option if you want to go beyond the cheapies without breaking the bank.
grandelich

Post by grandelich »

Right now im using a generation in D. Its doing pretty good i like it alot. I def want a one in the key of Bb maybe jsut a cheaper one for now after you tubing some whistles. But Im also thinking on, one really good one in maybe a D But not sure? Maybe i should just go for a nice one in a different tone?
grandelich

Post by grandelich »

Thanks for all the help btw its been helping me alot.
synergy

Post by synergy »

violinmyster wrote:Interesting that no one has mentioned a Susato. They are under $100 and I thought that a lot of people thought they were very good???? :-?
+1 on the Susato and good call Cindy. The Susato very narrow bore is an excellent choice for the price. Another to consider is the Thornton - again very nice.
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

what whistle

Post by Mr.Nate »

Humphrey whistles are also a good choice for under 100$

It says on his website that he is not taking orders right now. He normally sells his trad d for 87$

http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/

Can't go wrong with a Sindt.

Here's a comhaltas vid of a young lad playing a Sindt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAL7I6q ... re=related

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!