A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Emmet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the Great Highland bagpipes (McCallums with an older, flatter Naill blackwood chanter) I futz around with penny whistles, and am considering learning uilleann pipes.

Post by Emmet »

I've just acquired an old 1/2 set, Childress D chanter, Mac Harg bag, bellows & reeds, unknown drones. Currently play GHB, SSP's, and mess about with penny whistles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. No; there don't appear to be any tutors within 200 miles, but I'm still looking.
tradbanjoman

Post by tradbanjoman »

you can find tutors on dvd here at npu in dublin
http://store.pipers.ie/store/category/5 ... tor------/
good luck.
jim carroll.
http://www.carrolluilleannpipes.
have gouge will play
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I ran into an Excellent Uilleann piper at the Pipers Gathering in Vermont this august, lives in Key West,I believe, tallish chap with beard.
hey, at least its the same state! :)
Emmet
Tell us something.: I play the Great Highland bagpipes (McCallums with an older, flatter Naill blackwood chanter) I futz around with penny whistles, and am considering learning uilleann pipes.

Post by Emmet »

Thanks; I was fortunate enough to find a set of those here on this forum second-hand, and someone was kind enough to email me the name of a piper in Gainesville, which alas is 3 hours away. Still, better than no one at all, even at $4.00 a gallon. Perhaps someone will turn up closer to hand.
I've got Davy Spillane's first tutor (but no tape or CD), and have started off by stopping the drones and (A) simply attempting to blow steady tone to try and develop some bellows & bag control, and (B) learning the scales in D and G, committing an hour a day to getting to know my new friend.
I certainly appreciate the encouragement and suggestions.
Emmet
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Emmet,

Here's my advice: Turn back while you still can!! :boggle:

Seriously, good choice. You'll have to forget everything you know about GHB. It's an entirely different beast. Learning techniques, fingering, reeds, etc. all different. In fact, the only thing common between the two instruments is the bloody-mindedness of the respective pipers. It takes determination to learn to play.
Emmet wrote:... a piper in Gainesville, which alas is 3 hours away. Still, better than no one at all, even at $4.00 a gallon. Perhaps someone will turn up closer to hand.
It would be a very good investment of your time and money to visit that piper whenever you can. I'm not talking about weekly visits but if you could get to see him/her every month or two, it would be a great way to ensure that you're learning the right way. He/she will also be able to help you with the inevitable reed problems, which are like zits: it's not a question of if you'll have them, but when.

Davy Spillane's tutor is probably not the best, although it does have a few good tunes. The NPU videos you bought are excellent. If you're still looking for learning material, I would strongly recommend "The New Approach to Uilleann Piping" by Heather Clarke. It comes with a CD and costs approx. $30. You can pick it up from the NPU's shop or on eBay.
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm in the same boat, Emmet, and I'm going to try for quarterly lessons with the fellow who lives about 3 hours from me. In fact, my first (and only thus far) lesson was with the guy in Gainesville when we were down there visiting my fella's mom last spring. I aim to drag the pipes along next trip, too (consider yourself warned, maze! :lol:). Meanwhile, I've hit one Tionol so far and am aiming for another next month -- otherwise I figure I'll just scrape stuff up wherever I can. The Clarke tutor has indeed been very helpful; just keep telling yourself "this is NOT a 16-year-old-girl who's whooping my butt, it's the pipes that are whooping my butt" (that's how old Clarke was when she wrote this tutor) as you go through the exercises and you'll be able to retain a modicum of self-respect. ;-)

Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
mike spencer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike spencer »

Emmet,what BJ says,turn back while you can, but if you insist on torturing yourself, learn to make your own reeds.If you don't have a teacher you will ruin a lot of reeds and they are very expensive.I learned how to make reeds and I'm a highland piper, so if I can do it so can you.It's a fascinating hobby and occasionaly you will make a reed that works.Welcome to the club.Mike.
mike spencer
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Emmet wrote: someone was kind enough to email me the name of a piper in Gainesville, which alas is 3 hours away.
THere is someone in Tampa who does gives lessons, now that I think of it, his first name is JOhn but I cannot recall his last name. The person in Gainesville (John Maze) knows him and might be able to put you in contact with him. Worth a shot.

Also, keep your eyes on this forum for when the next SEUPC Tionol is announced, it often takes place in Florida.

Good Luck Emmet! :)
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Well, if you do find the name of the piper in Tampa, please pm me his name if possible, as i'll hopefully be picking up the pipes soon :)
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I fly into Tampa because of work at Indian Shores. Maybe we can all get together. Could see us now, in the bar at the Doubletree :-)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

For Florida pipers, actually anyone in the south east US, this site will be helpful...

http://www.southeastpipersclub.org/seupc/
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

I fly into Tampa because of work at Indian Shores.
That's just down the road a bit; let me know; perhaps you coulkd come up to Dunedin for a pint.
Fortunately I've acquired a second-hand set of Na Píobairí Uilleann's video tapes and Clarke's "New Method"; I'm diligently looking for a tutor, but they're quite thin on the ground. A fellow in Tampa has offered to meet with me some time, but we have yet to make connections.
I haven't any leaks (I can hemp a joint), and the check valves in the bellows & blowpipe stock work well, but I'm having difficulty keeping them going as I move up and down the scales; is this common for a newbie? The reed's plastic; the previous owner said he preferred O'Grady's (I think), but the last one developed a split. I've tuned D and back D to a meter to the best of my ability, considering that I'm still working on blowing steady tone. I keep the drones turned off, but one of them has a wicked motorboat which I'd like to rectify; would shortening the tongue a bit work, as other reeds?
As I'm on my own, I'd certainly appreciate any advice the more experienced can offer.
Sláinte,
Emmet
djm

Post by djm »

Emmet wrote:The reed's plastic
Oh, dear. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

The reed's plastic
Oh, dear.
Quite so. Suggestions of cane reeds that do well in Childress chanters would be greatly appreciated.
Kramden

Post by Kramden »

Emmet wrote:
The reed's plastic
Oh, dear.
Quite so. Suggestions of cane reeds that do well in Childress chanters would be greatly appreciated.
I'd send an e-mail to Pat Sky (plsky@intrex.net). You can check out his web site at: http://www.patricksky.com/ I had a few pipemakers have a go at reeding my Preshaw D chanter, and Pat was the one that was able to nail it.

Great guy to deal with, too.