Watermelon, a budgie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Watermelon, a budgie

Post by Caroluna »

There's so many things in the world that are sad or worrysome. It seems silly, even wasteful, to spend sadness or worry on something so trivial as a budgie.

But then again, the texture of life is made up of tiny joys and sadnesses along with the momentous ones.

Yesterday marked the death of a budgie named Watermelon....

We have a small aviary, about 40 birds, and for the last few years there has been a disease creeping through it. We tried several vets, and I even bought a microscope to try to figure out what the problem was. I found various possibilities (mites? worms? protozoal parasites?) and treated for those, but it didn't stop the deaths that happened every month or so. Always the same process-- a previously healthy bird would become progressively thinner and weaker, even though it seemed to be eating normally.

This past month we lost two to the mystery disease, and had two more who had become very thin. I found a nationally-known avian vet, and we drove an hour to take the birds there. He was very busy and didn't have an appointment free, but he offered that we could drop the birds off and he would look at them when he had spare time between appointments.

The vet looked at the birds and ran several tests on their droppings, and seemed to be as mystified as we were. He said that we could leave the budgies there for several days (and didn't charge us for boarding them). By Friday we agreed that the birds would have one more poop test and if there were still no parasites or pathogens found, he would euthanize a bird and do an autopsy.

Saturday I got the news that he had done an autopsy on Watermelon, and she had clear evidence of an organism called Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY). This information explains the many deaths in our aviary, and will allow us to help the rest of the flock.

But still, it's sad to lose an animal before its time is up.

So-- here is a little thank you to Watermelon, the budgie.

She was a handraised chick, and whenever my son went into the aviary she was always one of the first to land on his head. She loved to climb as far forward on his head as possible, cling to his hair and rappel down his forehead. "Who's that on my head?" he'd say, and as the bird dangled into his field of vision, "Oh! it's Watermelon."

She didn't exactly talk but she came up with this two-syllable whistle that sounded as if she were saying "Be real!" My son and Watermelon would have conversations that consisted entirely of them whistling "be real!" back and forth to each other. Afterwards I'd say to him "I see Watermelon is still encouraging you in your pursuit of personal authenticity" and Kevin would roll his eyes.

This morning I woke up with my heart much lighter than it has been for quite a while. Now I know what we're dealing with in the aviary and we have a plan on how to fight it.

But we will miss the little voice telling us to "be real".

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

So sorry for your family's loss. Will you be able to get rid of the yeast?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

It damages the digestive tract so I'm guessing that some birds will never get back to full health. But chances are good for the rest of them. :)

I spent a long time reading yesterday, and there's all sorts of little things you can do that help to avoid the problem in the future. Ex. slightly acidifying their drinking water, and sprinkling lactobacillus powder on their food.

The AGY medication is one of those ones where the effective dose is pretty close to a toxic dose, so it's not the sort of thing I could have treated on my own. I'm really glad we found this vet. He's very compassionate in addition to being technically good.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

My condolences as well. This morning I buried the umpteenth bird that has flown head-on into our kitchen window. We have a birdfeeder there, and it's a real hot spot. Sometimes they get so excited they don't watch where they're going. Usually they see stars, then fly away. This little guy didn't get back up, though.

My wife tells me there are window decals you can buy that help them detect the glass. I'm going to have to research that.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

crookedtune wrote:My condolences as well. This morning I buried the umpteenth bird that has flown head-on into our kitchen window. We have a birdfeeder there, and it's a real hot spot. Sometimes they get so excited they don't watch where they're going. Usually they see stars, then fly away. This little guy didn't get back up, though.

My wife tells me there are window decals you can buy that help them detect the glass. I'm going to have to research that.
Here you go! http://www.birdsforever.com/windowcollisions.html

These seem fairly invisible to humans, but visible to birds from the outside. They reflect light in a spectrum visible to birds, but not to you.

Meanwhile, you can cut hawk-shaped outlines -- or pretty much any outlines -- from black paper and tape them to your window. Anything that breaks up the reflection of the outdoors on the glass.

Hanging long strips of foil from the eaves was a suggestion. Another was to use old CDs dangling on string in front of the windows.

One suggestion on the website is to move the feeder closer to the window so that panicked birds don't have the momentum to smack into the window.

You can also move the birdfeeder farther away. That way, you won't be luring them to their deaths in order to enjoy the pretty sight of them feeding.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Do you still have your budgies, Lambie? How are they doing?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Yes, I still have my budgies! They're fine.

At the moment, they are investigating a slice of sweet red bell pepper, cleverly disguised in a wrap of delicious romaine. They're suspicious, but the romaine lured them in close enough for a tentative nibble.

The windows are open today, so they can hear the seabirds outside and enjoy the sunshine. Every so often, one of the hawks from the roof swoops by. "AAAACK! Oh, would you look at that!" "Someone needs to do something about that thing!" "Well, I'll tell you, I'm glad we're not out there with it!"

I became teary-eyed upon hearing of Watermelon, Caroluna. Budgies are such darling little guys.

How are you acidifying the birdies' water?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Thanks for that Window-Collision link, Lambchop. We get all kinds of birds flying into our back door, which is a big double-pane french-window. We had a young duck stun itself last week, and on one occasion I found a kingfisher with two cats prowling around it. I thought it was a goner, but when I lifted it up it fluttered its wings and darted off. How many people have held a wild kingfisher? It was a magical moment.

Never actually known a bird to kill itself, but then the cats would have taken care of that...

Caroluna, I'm sorry to hear about your birds, but glad you've discovered the problem.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Caroluna, so sorry about Watermelon. It is so sad to lose a friend like that. At least his death may have saved many more lives.

We have had a sparrowhawk chase tits or finches into our window several times. They are stunned, and easily gobbled up! Also a crow grabbed a tit that knocked itself out, took it onto a nearby roof, plucked it and ate it, under Ro's horrified gaze. It seems to be mainly young birds who fly into the window without being chased, rarely an adult. Most survive, but we do have bodies to bury. We have tried the hawk cutouts on the window but it made little difference.
djm

Post by djm »

Oh, how I dream of tits pressed up against my windows .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

You would!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It seems silly, even wasteful, to spend sadness or worry on something so trivial as a budgie.
No living creature is "trivial." When we get to the point where we start rating whether the "worth" of sadness or worry is based on the size, or species, of the individual, we've reached the ultimate in depravity.

When someone who is loved dies, mourning is the only reasonable, human, response.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Redwolf:

Your post is one of the most intelligent, well-stated, and moving messages I have read in quite a long time. Thank you.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

My son and I have appreciated this thread very much! :love: We miss Watermelon and it was helpful to be able to talk about her.

I just heard from the vet today-- Watermelon's partner Doozie is responding well to the Amphoteracin and has gained back some weight. This means that this is probably the right medication for the whole flock. Encouraging news :D

Meanwhile, this is for Deej--
Wiki wrote: The tits, chickadees, and titmice comprise Paridae, a large family of small passerine birds which occur in the northern hemisphere and Africa....These birds are called "chickadees" (onomatopoeic, derived from their distinctive "chick-a dee dee dee" communication or alarm call) or "titmice" in North America, and just "tits" in the rest of the English speaking world.
So here in the US and Canada, the most common tits are chickadees.
This is what you need if you want to have them pressed close to your window:

djm

Post by djm »

Caroluna wrote:This is what you need if you want to have them pressed close to your window:
Well, I don't know. I just can't see Heidi Klum wearing one of these ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.