feedback and postings?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

feedback and postings?

Post by ImNotIrish »

So, what has happened to this thread? I have noticed that there is a significant lack of input for the poster's submissions. Has this thread seen its usefulness?
I know I have not been commenting as of late, but anyone else have thoughts about this?
Arbo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

What thread are you referring to?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sorry, the 'Posting Clips' thread.
MT: I don't know if I should be reassured, or worried, about the quick response of your reply.
Arbo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Neither ... I'm just confused, as usual. Carry on. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

To me, it's not as interesting as it used to be. Now it's mostly the same group of 4 or 5 people posting and giving each other very similar feedback ("Nicely done," "Nice tone," "Rhythm seemed off a bit," "Ornaments could be more crisp," stuff like that).
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

MTGuru wrote:Neither ... I'm just confused, as usual. Carry on. :-)
Me Too! :D
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Liney Bear wrote:To me, it's not as interesting as it used to be. Now it's mostly the same group of 4 or 5 people posting and giving each other very similar feedback ("Nicely done," "Nice tone," "Rhythm seemed off a bit," "Ornaments could be more crisp," stuff like that).
Okay, so what would you like to see people saying?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think he's saying that he'd like to see more postings from other people. I feel the same way. I must admit, I'm guilty of having posted toward the beginning, but not in the last many months. I'll try to get my lips back in shape and post some in a month or so. It'll probably still be something between baroque and O'Carolan.

I do think the sticky is incredibly valuable.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Arbo-

Interesting thread; I agree with Liney. I also feel like others have posted clips that have been ignored by the same batch of players that comment to one another. I don't think this is done intentionally, as these few people have developed a relationship. But to the outsider, it's sort of like jumping into a convo where four or five people are in a circle and already in a discussion. That's my $0.02.

~Sean
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I don't consider myself a poor player per se, so much as just... unremarkable. I don't want to put my mediocrity up there for all to hear until I've worked past it sufficiently to not consider myself so... yeah, that.

I've posted some singing clips on the appropriate forums, but I don't consider my fluting up to snuff for that kind of scrutiny. And I would feel a touch of hypocrisy in my attempts to critique others' work.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Henke

Post by Henke »

Cofaidh wrote:I don't consider myself a poor player per se, so much as just... unremarkable. I don't want to put my mediocrity up there for all to hear until I've worked past it sufficiently to not consider myself so... yeah, that.

I've posted some singing clips on the appropriate forums, but I don't consider my fluting up to snuff for that kind of scrutiny. And I would feel a touch of hypocrisy in my attempts to critique others' work.
Your lingvistic skills are certainly up to snuff there! It was a joy reading your post.

Sincerely
whisky :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

FWIW, I haven't deliberately retired from the thread, but I've had so much else on since the early summer, and ongoing, that something has had to give, and attention to that particular aspect of this forum and my own online activities has been one thing I've de-prioritised. I hope to be back as an active participant at some stage, but can't see that being in the immediate future...... Sorry, guys!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

ImNotIrish wrote:
Liney Bear wrote:To me, it's not as interesting as it used to be. Now it's mostly the same group of 4 or 5 people posting and giving each other very similar feedback ("Nicely done," "Nice tone," "Rhythm seemed off a bit," "Ornaments could be more crisp," stuff like that).
Okay, so what would you like to see people saying?
I think the sticky is valuable too, but maybe for different reasons. I see it not so much as an opportunity to improve as a player based on the feedback of others, but more as a chance to see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't, or who has credibility based on the quality of the chops they lay down.

Frankly, there are plenty of critical experts who'd be better served by practicing more and less spamming the board fishing for compliments and heaping empty praise on each other.
drewr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drewr »

I tried to contribute to that thread a few months back when my playing was just starting to progress (not like it still isn't, I guess) by signing up for a box.net account and posting a couple of clips. I didn't get any feedback. As already mentioned, it appears to be the same three or four members posting clips, and posts from others seem to be basically ignored for the most part. I gave up after my initial try.

I continue to listen to a clip or two from this thread once in a while, but I agree that that number of posts there has been dwindling of late.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Liney Bear wrote:Frankly, there are plenty of critical experts who'd be better served by practicing more and less spamming the board fishing for compliments and heaping empty praise on each other.
That's why when I post, it's generally because that's the place to post clips and I feel like if I am going to offer advice on the board then a recent clip should be available for people to listen to, so they can decide if they want to accept my advice or not.

I am not generally looking for feedback because I can hear what's right or wrong with my playing. I record myself frequently to hear how I'm progressing, and I post a clip if I think I hit upon something worthwhile.
William Bajzek