Coprus Clock at Cambridge

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Coprus Clock at Cambridge

Post by fel bautista »

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/comm ... /1522.html

I followed a Google trail to this site. Anyone on the other side of the Atlantic seen it in person?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ok...I see what a chronophage is. Very cool.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The Corpus clock is a large mechanical clock with an ancient movement and a modern LED display. I like mechanical movements because I can visualize how they operate, whereas modern digital clocks with a silcon chip leave me with a large question mark. Perhaps I am a slow learner, but I fail to see how the Corpus clock is all that innovative.

Here is another unusual clock on this side of the Atlanic which I have seen, and with a grandparent's season ticket to the museum, I seem to be seeing it more than I would choose.
water clock
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

You know it helps if I could type...grr
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Doug_Tipple wrote:The Corpus clock is a large mechanical clock with an ancient movement and a modern LED display. I like mechanical movements because I can visualize how they operate, whereas modern digital clocks with a silcon chip leave me with a large question mark. Perhaps I am a slow learner, but I fail to see how the Corpus clock is all that innovative.
I have seen clocks with the escapement on the outside, but the "chronophage" is an amusing conceit. I've never before seen a clock with vernier windows over LED displays.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:The Corpus clock is a large mechanical clock with an ancient movement and a modern LED display. I like mechanical movements because I can visualize how they operate, whereas modern digital clocks with a silcon chip leave me with a large question mark. Perhaps I am a slow learner, but I fail to see how the Corpus clock is all that innovative.
I have seen clocks with the escapement on the outside, but the "chronophage" is an amusing conceit. I've never before seen a clock with vernier windows over LED displays.
OK, after reading the articles in the "Guardian" and the "Telegraph", I will have to revise my quick assessment and concur that, indeed, the corpus clock is innovative, however, I wouldn't want to have to look at it every day. It's hard enough to accept being older without having to be reminded of my mortality in such a graphic way.
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I love it! Wish it was available as a desktop item!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Doug_Tipple wrote: It's hard enough to accept being older without having to be reminded of my mortality in such a graphic way.
I hear that! 8)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'm fond of the hideous clock "Le Défenseur du Temps", located in a small passage (alley) behind the Pompidou Center in Paris. Twice a day the mechanical figures act out a bizarre drama in which a sword-bearing warrior resembling an Oscar statuette on crack defends the integrity of time from attacks by several equally hideous animal creatures.

It's one of those "insolite" attractions that only a Paris geek could stomach. The few times I showed up to watch the show, there were at most one or two others there. But it's a good excuse to visit this area of the 4th Arrondissement, near Les Halles and the Place des Innocents - once the site of Paris' stinkiest rotting cemetery, and a main source for the Paris catacombs when finally cleared and closed in 1786. Today home to several cafés and clubs and a Pizza Hut.

Update: I read on the net that the clock has now been out of commission for several years, and is now notable mostly for collecting huge quantities of bird doo. Making it the real "coprus" clock, as fel said. :-)

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Grasshopper with teeth and eyelids? Wow. Looks like something out of a fever dream.
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

WyoBadger wrote:Grasshopper with teeth and eyelids? Wow. Looks like something out of a fever dream.
T
It's a very fish-like grasshopper.
Reasonable person
Walden