A self locked post.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A self locked post.

Post by Uilliam »

Thanks folks ...its outa my system now.So I will close the post and let sleeping dogs lie.Its what I needed to hear and I appreciate the feedback
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam :wink:
ps.
I have deleted ma post and will increase ma medication :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
pps I co host the session wi the mandolin/whistle player and have done so for the past 7 years :boggle: time to move on.
Last edited by Uilliam on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
djm

Post by djm »

Who is the session owner/leader? If it is not you, I would tell you where to put your regulators. If this is not your session to command, perhaps you should seek out an accommodaing pub and start your own session elsewhere; somewhere that you can set the rules. If you can control it, you can make it your own. If no-one comes to join you, take a hint.

djm
Last edited by djm on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Uilliam - it's time you started staying in on Sundays. Rent a video, dye your hair, polish your pipes, whatever, but writing stuff like that is proof that you are not suited to the company of those other musicians in the Sunday session.

Better yet, start a house session. Invitation only. No muppets, violinists or goat-beaters would be my suggestion, but invite Davy anyway - he good for moral.
PJ
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I have only played in a few different sessions, but it seems to me that there are at least two different kinds of sessions:

Some sessions folks go to have fun and don't seem to care too much about much of anything (like tuning, tempo, tradition, etiquette, etc.) except having fun.

Some sessions seem to be almost by invite only; it seems that folks are not really welcome until they have proved themselves competent, and there are definite rules of etiquette/tradition that are adhered to...

Seems to me that you are going to a session of the former type. I am guessing your written tips and feedback would be more social suicide than public slaughter.

I agree with others that you might consider starting your own session with the expectations clear on the front end. Then see if there is any interest. I prefer these sessions myself, but sometimes you have to take what you can get, unless you are a real leader.
"Luck is important"
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW ... A few past attempts here in San Diego to address session problems by handing out written rules have been spectacularly unsuccessful.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Singer at uisge session
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zITtJuHB0

Banjo player at uisge session.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJjWEzRNjk

If I go to the Sunday session at uisge, it is between 7 and 9, then I go to the Auldhouse Arms for the rest of the night, as the uisge gets too hot and noisy and full of singer songwriters singing songs they should be singing to thier analysts.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BigDavy wrote:singer songwriters singing songs they should be singing to thier analysts.
:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.