Mysterious bamboo whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mysterious bamboo whistle

Post by West »

I recently got hold of what I think is a bamboo whistle. "Think is", since I have no idea if this instrument is really called a whistle; for all I know it might be some similar but completely unrelated fipple flute from some other part of the world. But it has six holes, it's tuned in a C major scale (well, it's closer to a B, but it had a label that said C), and it plays like a whistle. Here's what it looks like:

Tuning wise, it's weird. Apart from that the intonation is generally off, without any fingers on the holes (is this what is called the 'bell note'?), it plays a C. IOW, all holes covered and no holes covered is both a C, one octave apart. Hence the electrical tape.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what the heck this is. Is it even supposed to be played like a whistle? It doesn't really sound that great. It has a very hoarse tone and I can get no feel for how to overblow the thing. I paid 5 euro for it though (and 4 of that was shipping), so it wasn't a big investment. :)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My guess it's a cheap no-name bamboo whistle. You can buy them by the dozen at some websites for what 1 cost at a retail store. Definitely worth the $1.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

This looks like what would be known as a cheap POS whistle... :)
You could always scratch your back with it...

However, it does beg the question: Does anyone make a good bamboo whistle?

Owen
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

The holes are all the same size AND evenly spaced which tells us the whistle maker made no attempt at creating a musical instrument - he made a toy as cheaply as possible. I've seen similar "whistles" at county fairs and such here in Texas for sale at US$1 or so. They are indeed horrible. Most are made in South America, probably by some poor Indian living in a cardboard box making a dollar a day cranking out wooden tubes with holes. Sad thing is, that Indian's grandfather may have made flutes with a magic tone that would sell for a year's salary at the Indian's current wages.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
TC

Post by TC »

Just curious - what does the fipple end, or "beak" look like ?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I have one of those ... probably Chinese, bought around 1960 at a junk store for probably 25 cents. Pitched in good concert C, and I carved out a few of the tone holes to fix the intonation. It's actually a very sweet whistle, so you never know. The fipple is on the underside and there's no beak, so the playing embouchure is like that of many eastern European whistles.
Last edited by MTGuru on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

walrii wrote:The holes are all the same size AND evenly spaced which tells us the whistle maker made no attempt at creating a musical instrument - he made a toy as cheaply as possible. I've seen similar "whistles" at county fairs and such here in Texas for sale at US$1 or so. They are indeed horrible. Most are made in South America, probably by some poor Indian living in a cardboard box making a dollar a day cranking out wooden tubes with holes. Sad thing is, that Indian's grandfather may have made flutes with a magic tone that would sell for a year's salary at the Indian's current wages.
I think that's a bit harsh. I have a bamboo flute made in Sri Lanka. The holes aren't in a straight line, ane are evenly spaced, but it's nicely finished and has a good airy voice, which leads me to think there's some love and care involved in the manufacture. With the limited resources available, I'd struggle to make anything better. Actually, with the resources I have, I struggle to make good whistles.

Just because an instrument doesn't conform to the usual intonation doesn't mean it's a toy. I have a CD of said flute played along with drums and the overall effect is stunning. As has been pointed out before here, other cultures have different musical scales. There's no right answer.

Of course there are poor quality whistles out there, but please don't judge a whistle on the raw material or where it's manufactured or who made it.

And if you can tweak one of these bargain whistles into the pitch/scale you want, then you'll have a unique instrument, all for a dollar. I think tone is much more important than intonation - it's easier to fix the latter.

Stay hoopy,
Mike
West

Post by West »

Terminology question: what part of the fipple is called "the beak"?

As for crap or not, I'm sure this could be turned into a decent instrument with some tweaks, but it's more or less useless in its present state. I don't know if it's worth the trouble though, but who knows. I might give it a shot some time when I'm bored.

I must echo MagicSailor's question: does anyone make good bamboo whistles? I do like the feel of the material -- hard yet very, very light -- so it would be fun to try a good one.

Thanks for the info guys. This place is really incredible, it's like whistlepedia or something :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The beak is simply the shaped / carved part of the mouthpiece that goes into your mouth. It's what gives the recorder its name "flûte à bec" in French. On my bamboo whistle the mouthpiece end is cut flat at a right angle to the length, so there's no beak at all. But I find this to be very comfortable to play, with the fipple on the underside. I have a small collection of Romanian shepherd's whistles, and they are all cut the same way.

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, there are good cane whistles made in India
and sometimes imported to the USA; also
a fair number of bad whistles. So the trick
is to find the good ones. These were popular
in IReland, by the way, when I visited.

There are some good dealers of INdian bamboo flutes
(websites, but I don't remember; search or
others will say). If you contact them they
might tell you. Otherwise you have to go
to stores where these are sold and play them.
West

Post by West »

MTGuru wrote:The beak is simply the shaped / carved part of the mouthpiece that goes into your mouth. It's what gives the recorder its name "flûte à bec" in French. On my bamboo whistle the mouthpiece end is cut flat at a right angle to the length, so there's no beak at all. But I find this to be very comfortable to play, with the fipple on the underside. I have a small collection of Romanian shepherd's whistles, and they are all cut the same way.
Hmm. So beak means the horizontal taper at the fipple end of the whistle (or recorder) looking down on it from above? My bamboo whistle only has a curved wedge shape carved out of it on the underside. Can't provide a photo right now for the Mrs and the camera went to a party a couple of hours ago :)
West

Post by West »

jim stone wrote:Yes, there are good cane whistles made in India
and sometimes imported to the USA; also
a fair number of bad whistles. So the trick
is to find the good ones. These were popular
in IReland, by the way, when I visited.

There are some good dealers of INdian bamboo flutes
(websites, but I don't remember; search or
others will say). If you contact them they
might tell you. Otherwise you have to go
to stores where these are sold and play them.
Let me tell you, there's not a whole lot of stores selling Indian bamboo flutes in Sweden. I wish there were :/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

West wrote:Hmm. So beak means the horizontal taper at the fipple end of the whistle (or recorder) looking down on it from above? My bamboo whistle only has a curved wedge shape carved out of it on the underside.
Yes, that's it. It looks like the beak of a bird. Sort of.