Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Roland,

I've been out of the loop for a few days. Sorry to hear about the pot hole on the road to recovery. Glad Lesley is on the mend again.

Give her a smooch for us and tell her my whole herd* is praying, thinking happy thoughts and playing tunes for her. :)

(*See herd below)

Best,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Thanks, Doc. That is just amazing!
She is out of the pothole now, we hope and staggering down the road again!
Ro
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

devondancer wrote:Thanks, Doc. That is just amazing!
She is out of the pothole now, we hope and staggering down the road again!
Ro
Yeah, we're a bit of a spectacle. You should see them unloading from the van. It's like Barnum and Bailey Circus...they just keep coming. :lol:

We actually lost 3 this year. Two got married and one grew up (sort of) and flew the coop, so we're getting two more from Haiti. After all, the house is kind of quiet these days with only 10 of them about. :wink:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Cork

Post by Cork »

Doc Jones wrote:...so we're getting two more from Haiti...
You and your wife are to be commended, Doc Jones!

I heard about the recent, hurricane related deaths in Haiti, more than 500, yet that fact barely made the news.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

It has not been Lesley's day! I arrived at lunchtime to find her sporting two beautiful black eyes! Yesterday's fall had broken her nose! NO ONE IS TO MENTION THE PANDA THREAD! Her usual sense of humour is still present, luckily. She says not only is her hair still spiky (not fully regrown after surgery), she can't walk properly, can't write properly, can't breathe properly, now she looks like a panda. And her nose is swollen!

Apart from that, she has been pressing the physiotherapist to get her walking safely again. She had been managing quite well with a stick, but seems to have lost the knack again, which is infuriating her. Of course, she doesn't have any spare strength yet, so they are not letting her do much, but she has demonstrated standing up without falling over. She is convinced that she would not have fallen in the first place if she hadn't forgotten that she couldn't walk properly! Now that she has been painfully reminded she will go back to hanging onto things.

Annoyingly for her, she is also not allowed to whistle yet. I think the surgeon feels that, Lesley being the wholesale person she is, she will overdo it too quickly. I actually don't think she will. She has a lot of sense and has always been aware of her limits, but - no whistle today. So she is bored, and a bit cross. All those tunes waiting to be played! Normally she would read, but the black eyes have given her a headache, so both reading and puzzles are out for today. She is happy listening to music, but not music that makes her want to play! Dilemma!

I have been reading to her! All your replies, most of the other posts (not pandas, which I had taken in!), her book, poetry. At least she rests while I read. I took the atlas but she can't see it properly today, so we will save that for a few days. With any luck by tomorrow the headache will have gone and she will be able to read, and will then be OK again.

Thank you all for your support and messages. I hope to be able to tell you she is happier tomorrow - today she is frustrated on all fronts! Lucky she is sweet-natured! She doesn't blame me!

Ro
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Maybe she'd like some books on tape? It'd give her something to listen to without being too musical. Martin seems to have a substantial collection, I'm sure we could send round a CD of MP3s or something if you think it would help.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you so much, Beth. I am hoping that by tomorrow she will be able to read again, but if not that is such a good idea, and I will be in touch. Many thanks.
Ro
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Roland, My wife says that when she went thru chemo and radiation she couldn't read but enjoyed the audio books. She says that she culdn't always follow the story but found that the readers voices were soothing to listen to in the background.
Its good to hear that you and Lesley are on the upswing again! Take care of yourself Roland, form what you've written you are taking great care of Lesley.
YOu are both still in my prayers.
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
Cork

Post by Cork »

After all of what she has been through, to hear that she could have fallen, and have been so injured, simply is painful.

Ouch!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

She is just cross that she forgot she couldn't walk! Very cross!! And cross that she can't walk. Basically just cross! Luckily only with herself. The hospital staff all love her, so she must still be being polite!
Ro
Denny

Post by Denny »

cross is a sign of recovery :lol:

the staff should be heartened by it
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

devondancer wrote: I took the atlas but she can't see it properly today, so we will save that for a few days.
Be sure to point out Alaska. It's nice and big, and up near the "top" of the globe, so it's hard to miss. :D I'm pretty close to the middle of the state.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Remains of triple post.

NOT MY FAULT!!

My apologies.

Ro
Last edited by devondancer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Oops- triple post. "Gateway time out!!"
Last edited by devondancer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Part 2 of triple post! My apologies.
C&F was not functioning well and blanked out each time!
Last edited by devondancer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.