That darn left thumb...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blayloch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blayloch »

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season :smile:

I'm finding it hard to find a comfortable non-cramping position for my left thumb. I've been experimenting with diferent placement for it, trying to find one that will work to support the flute with all holes open, but also not strain the tendons alot to enable proper fingering on an irish keyless.

Any suggestions? What works for the rest of you, is it something that is uncomfortable for the first few months of playing.

Any photos that reference proper hand/arm/thumb posture would be a help too.

Thanks for any advice,
Aaron
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Try to take a classical position = bended wrist, and then bring the thumb in opposition to the palm of the hand. This helped me a lot to avoid these nasty cramps.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

http://www.irishflutes.net/mef/hands.htm

Here are some photo's of hand position in relation to the thumb.

Here is another good one from our resident C&F'er James..

http://www.flutesite.com/flute_position_&_posture.htm
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-12-26 17:19, Blayloch wrote:
I'm finding it hard to find a comfortable non-cramping position for my left thumb. I've been experimenting with diferent placement for it, trying to find one that will work to support the flute with all holes open...
Simple, keep your left thumb OFF the flute (unless you're playing left-handed). You don't need it to hold on with all holes open. Rockstro grip is balancing the flute between 3 points: 1) right thumb pushes away from you, also helps lift that end of the flute a little; 2) base of left index finger pulls flute toward you; 3) mouth against embouchure hole resists flute's movement toward you at the head. For additional support where needed, use your right pinky. There are certainly passages where you will feel more comfortable having the left thumb on the flute (for instance a cut or roll on B), but you'll also find that you can lift the thumb and loosen your "death grip" a lot of other times, relieving any tendency to cramp.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Kevin's advice is good. I'd also add what I had to work on...RELAX. Just focus on relaxing the fingers while you play.

When I started, and to some degree today, I tend to tighten up my fingers along with my embouchure when playing in the second octave. The fingers and lips need to be seperated in the brain.

I had a lobotomy to fix this issue, but I don't recommend it to everyone. :smile:
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

Aaron,

A friend of mine has a piece of fine grit sandpaper taped to her flute where her left thumb contacts the instrument(rough side out). Apparently her thumb used to slip its way down the flute while she was playing... perhaps the same method could be used to relieve a little of the tension you may be using to keep the flute in place (i.e. more friction on flute = less pressure from thumb = less cramping).

When I get around to the hardware store I'm going to give it a go myself. My M & E gets really slippery when my hands start to sweat and consequently I grip harder and my hands (especially my left thumb) start cramping.

All the best,
Wes
eskin

Post by eskin »

You may also want to consider using a piper's grip on both hands. That's what finally eliminated the pain for me. I was originally a classical flute player, but found the classical hold excruciating on the wooden flute after a short period of time. Just about gave up the wooden flute before giving the piper's grip a try, haven't looked back since..
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-12-27 00:38, eskin wrote:
You may also want to consider using a piper's grip on both hands.
Keyless flute, or do you manage to still be able to make it to the Bb key from that position?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How do you do the piper's grip on
the left hand? What's holding
the flute?
Blayloch

Post by Blayloch »

and what is the pipers grip, as I havent piped before and would probably cramp my thumb if I tried...

:smile:
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Most people I know who play piper-style keep the left thumb on the far side of the flute, to counterbalance against the jaw and the left hand. As opposed to the classical-style position, in which the big joint at the base of the left index finger provides the counterbalance. Either way, the flute should never be gripped with either hand; this leads to tension and soreness, and inhibits the movement of the fingers besides. I go on about this at some length on my website if anyone's interested.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi kkrell,

Mine is a 4-key Mcgee, and no, you can't get to the B-flat key using a left hand piper's grip...

Fortunately, since I'm primarily a traditional irish session player, I never have need for the B-flat key, so this isn't a problem for me...

As far as a description of the piper's grip on the left hand, try holding the flute in front of you as if it were a low whistle, then bring it up to your face in a flute-playing position. Assuming you have a Rudall-style instrument, rotate the two joints as required to eliminate any tension you might hold in your hands. This is a bit more difficult with a Pratten-style one piece body, all my instruments are two-piece.

Cheers,

Michael
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

One of the mistakes I used to make was in thinking about "holding the flute up."

I don't think it matters whether you call it a fancy name like Rockstro Grip or not--I think the secret is just to realize you don't hold the flute up, you hold it <i>in balance.</i>

That concept is what has let me continue to play flute in spite of very painful joints in my hands.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I often visualize (tactilize?) someone standing off to my right and holding the footjoint of my flute. Somehow that makes me use just the minimum of effort to support the instrument.
Blayloch

Post by Blayloch »

I think its very interesting how many different postures and techniques there are.

I went down to a local shop today and talked about this with a flutist there (Damian at Dusty Strings in Seattle.)

You can get very good sound and speed out of them all. I've found a couple that I'm comfortable with, but one uses the pads of the fingers on the end joint and the other with the second joint of the fingers.

I think I'll start a thread regarding the fingerings and preferences/thoughts for a beginner.

Thanks alot for all the great feedback on this thumb/posture thing, its very helpfull.