I found a horse ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I found a horse ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Yesterday, I had to do something to one of my house trailers, so I walked back to where I keep them.

As I arrived, I couldn't help but notice, there was a very pretty Belgian mare standing in front of the trailer I wanted to work on, placidly nibbling the grass.

I thought to myself, "I don't remember that being there."

She was so nonchalant in the way she went about dining on the greenery, I had to ponder the question of whether she was supposed to be there or not.

She allowed me to approach and take hold of her halter, so I led her towards my neighbor's pasture where she belongs. As I topped the rise and came in view of the pasture, I observed that the electric fence appeared intact. Not knowing anything about electric fences, I decided to take another route.

So I led this enormous horse down the main street of Orwell, past several houses. At one house, there was a group of people sitting on the front step, so I called to them, "Which house is the Carters'?"

"It's the house after next," I was told.

"They seem to have lost their horse," I said.

Best wishes,
Jerry
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"Hennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnry!"

"Wacha want, Ethel?"

"Looky yonder, whut the horse dragged home ... "

"Not agin! Well... She cain't keep thissern!"

"Ayep... You tell her. I ain't up fer the argument this time."
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

And a good thing you didn't find THAT one living in your walls.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

kkrell wrote:And a good thing you didn't find THAT one living in your walls.
It would explain the thumping noises.

Best wishes,
Jerry
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Perhaps the horse found you.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

wearin' a halter!
That's handy, I usually have to throw my belt around their neck :lol:
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Denny wrote:wearin' a halter!
That's handy, I usually have to throw my belt around their neck :lol:
That's it!

When I got her home, I noticed that neither of their other two horses was wearing a halter. I was thinking, what could I have done if the horse hadn't had the halter?

Now I'm wondering if my belt would even fit around that horse's neck. This is a large animal.

At various places when she wasn't sure she wanted to go where I was directing her, trying to get her to move was like pulling on a brick house.

Best wishes,
Jerry
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Tips just in case she decides to visit again....

You can lead a well behaved horse, and most heavy horses fall in that catagory, just by forming a u with your fingers and thumb and grasping the lower jaw just behind the "chin bump" , kinda in the gap where a bit would fit- I've had to do that a few times back in the day...

And if you turn the horse's head sharply to the left or right while tugging on the halter, it will move then just head it in the direction you want to go, puts them off balance and they have to take a step. Had to do that more than once too, sometimes we'd look like two drunks zig-zagging along on our way.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Now I'm wondering if my belt would even fit around that horse's neck. This is a large animal.
I've known a few Belgians... :lol:
right behind the head, you want to get it to stay on the poll.

you can always hold the ends in different hands

knowing Cowtime's trick is good even if your belt does reach!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

cowtime wrote:And if you turn the horse's head sharply to the left or right while tugging on the halter, it will move then just head it in the direction you want to go, puts them off balance and they have to take a step.
That makes sense, but I'm not sure it would work for that particular horse. It was actually more the other way around.

At one point as I was leading her along, she swung her head a little to the right. I was on the left, and my entire strength had no effect on the motion of her head. The effect on me was to cause me to stagger to the right, whereupon she stepped solidly on my right foot with her massive hoof. (Nothing broken, and not nearly as sore today as I would have expected, thankfully.)

I was around horses a bit when I was in my teens and twenties, but I've never handled quite such a large animal. Amazingly solid, but extremely sweet natured and gentle too, and a very pretty horse. I can see why a lot of people like Belgians.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D yes, they're boring! :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jerry Freeman wrote:...whereupon she stepped solidly on my right foot with her massive hoof. (Nothing broken, and not nearly as sore today as I would have expected, thankfully.)
Saw this happen with a Belgian at the state fair. The fellow tending the horse in the stall was effectively pinned to the spot and understandably not in the best of spirits. No help for it so he started punching hard on her flank. Took a while, but she finally turned her head back with a "Huh? Oh. Um...sorry about that" look and stepped off of his foot.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Those large horses are magnificent animals, but the first time I got even a little bit close to one, my thought was "Thank god these things don't eat meat."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

kkrell wrote:And a good thing you didn't find THAT one living in your walls.
You know what they say ...

If you see one, there's a hundred more you don't see.

Best wishes,
Jerry
dwest

Post by dwest »

I have two friends who work with horses. She's an equine dentist and he's a farrier. She's 5 feet in shoes and he's about 6'2". She of course has to use a ladder a fair amount in her work. They got called out to a new client years ago who had miniature horses that needed both hoof work and dental work done. When they got back home I have never seen so many bruises in my life. I don't think they have worked on animals smaller than her since.