A variation on the Nigerian scam, or something else?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mtdtunes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mtdtunes »

We hear about these idiots all the time on the National Cartoonists Society board. Same at the ukuelele board. Don't they have anything else to do in Nigeria?
The sad part is, someone will take the bait and end up as the lead story on some television news magazine....
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-12-17 15:17, mtdtunes wrote:
We hear about these idiots all the time on the National Cartoonists Society board. Same at the ukuelele board. Don't they have anything else to do in Nigeria?
The sad part is, someone will take the bait and end up as the lead story on some television news magazine....
This wasn't meant to be a 'mock the idiots' thread although there's no harm in doing that. This just strikes me as a troubling new development. Let me explain why.

In Australia, a Christian organisation (which I think is American) advertises in a big way for people to sponser children in 3rd world countries just like the one this 'supposed' child purports to be. Now, I think there is always a very fine line—much finer than is usually realised—between scams and genuine charities. I know some people who object to the child sponsership scheme on the grounds that the only beneficiaries are children who will be given a Chrisian upbringing—something not mentioned in the ads. What bothers me is that people who would never fall for the Nigerian scam might think that this is just another charitable initiative—yeah, I know they should be able to see through it but that's not relly my point. This sort of thing will damage genuine charitable organisations—the Nigerian scam never will have that effect.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-12-18 01:05, Wombat wrote:
On 2002-12-17 15:17, mtdtunes wrote:
This wasn't meant to be a 'mock the idiots' thread although there's no harm in doing that. This just strikes me as a troubling new development. Let me explain why.

In Australia, a Christian organisation (which I think is American) advertises in a big way for people to sponser children in 3rd world countries just like the one this 'supposed' child purports to be. Now, I think there is always a very fine line—much finer than is usually realised—between scams and genuine charities. I know some people who object to the child sponsership scheme on the grounds that the only beneficiaries are children who will be given a Christian upbringing—something not mentioned in the ads. What bothers me is that people who would never fall for the Nigerian scam might think that this is just another charitable initiative—yeah, I know they should be able to see through it but that's not really my point. This sort of thing will damage genuine charitable organisations—the Nigerian scam never will have that effect.
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

If you are interested in donating to a child who really does need help, you might consider contacting Christian Children's Fund. http://www.christianchildrensfund.org/

The percentage of your donation that actually goes to the child is higher than with many other charities.

Although we are not currently sponsoring a child, my wife and I did so for several years. We received letters from our sponsored children, and when we sent extra money for a birthday gift, etc., they even told us what they bought with it.

Joy to the world!

Palsdad
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

latest junk-mail:

Hello. Excuse that I to you address and forgive to me my bad English language.
Your help is necessary for me. I the student.
I study in city of Tomsk. In army of me do not take because of illness.
The matter is that my girl was lost because of capture of hostages in Moscow the
Chechen terrorists.
We have met her of 6 years back and have grown fond each other.
And more her month with me is not present. I have no need to live more.
I more than once thought of suicide yet have not understood that I should make.
In my soul there was one fury to terrorists. The friend has advised me to
address for the help in the Internet.
I am going to go to the Chechen Republic but at me the grant of 600 roubles (20
dollars) and consequently I address to you.
Help please to me to find even money to the ticket up to Vladikavkaz and I am
farther I shall understand.
Money you can transfer on the account 674797 in payment system E-Gold
(http://webmoney.ee/en/16/ "bank transffer S.W.I.F.T." or visit
http://webmoney.ee/en/exchange.php "another metod of transfer").
Best regards Sergey Vorob’yov.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Claudine......I received the same junk
mail today also. Far reaching, huh ?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Stan & Claudine - I received the same e-mail this morning, too.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Stan, maybe he took the e-mail-addresses from the C&F memberslist.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Stan, Jayhawk, and Claudine... I received it this morning too. Wonder what's up with that? I can't even tell what address it came to-- I have several set up with my Eudora program, and for some reason I can't see my address in the headers of this email. :???:

Andrea ~*~
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Maybe so...I got the same mail.

I told him I'd send him the $20 if he sent me polaroids of his girl in various states of undress, but I didn't get a reply..imagine that. :wink:
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I got the same e-mail today as well.
Rest assured we've been spammed by someone who spidered the C&F message board... like you didn't already know that. :wink:
I have a hard time believing that anyone ever falls for such obvious scams, but then I remember that P.T. Barnum was right... there really is a sucker born every minute! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Might I suggest that folks who post their email address put some sort of "human being safety lock" on it...for example, I post my address as avanutria@yahoo.REMOVE_THIS_SPAMBLOCKER.com ...an actual person using my addy will see that and make the adjustment before sending (or at least after it bounces :wink: ) but a program won't know to make the change and so it's not a valid address for spam robots.

If you do use this method, make sure you put the blocker bit next to the three letter extension (com, org, net, et cetera) and not right next to the @ symbol, to cut down on the spam traffic your provider has to deal with.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
didymus

Post by didymus »

Count me in, I got the same email, too... Well at least I'm in good company!

Frank
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

I got the same message yesterday. I guess if everyone sent $20 it would amount to a lot of money.
Howard
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I've been getting a lot of these lately. I've been thinking of sending one of my own out......

Pardon my perfect English and impeccable punctuation but I am desperatly trying to raise cash.

I had no intention of fighting the law but the law won. Please help me pay my speeding fine of $80. It's Christmas and I'd really rather spend my money elsewhere.

Thank you,
Mary Ann Bernadette Gereszek Fetch

P.S. You do realize I'm being terribly sarcastic don't you? There was a site for some gal by the name of Karyn who got herself in trouble with credit card debt . she started asking, begging, for money to erase her debt and people actually sent it to her. The internet raises begging, legitimate or not, to new heights.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)