Does humidty effect the pitch of a Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Does humidty effect the pitch of a Flute?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

My Flute is spot on A440 for low A, but the high A is consistently sharp almost 20 to 25 cents. I've rolled the Flute embouchure, taped one of the holes, moved the cork,pulled out the tenon, but still have this issue to a large degree. When played for some time I usually need to pull out the MDT tenon about 4mm to bring the low A back into pitch, but the high A still is very sharp.
Today in North Carolina we've had a bunch of rain and the humidity level is up around 55% in the house , whereas it is normally 45%. The high A is now only about 8 cents sharp. The question then will high humidity flatten the pitch of a Flute to some degree? It sure seems to be the case considering no change in any other varibles
Ben Shaffer
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I suspect your head cork may be out of position.

As to the humidity, I've not personally found that it makes much of a difference in intonation, but it can definitely alter the response of the instrument.

Wooden flutes in particular don't seem to play their best either when the air is extremely dry or extremely wet.

I'll admit that this is very subjective on my part, and I can't prove it--and wouldn't know how to start. It's not limited to flutes, either: my old wooden recorders also don't play their best when it's either very dry or very wet.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't know whether humidity affects the tone of a flute, but, evidently, the color of the flute does. It's amazing what you can learn when you read the ebay ads. The seller mentions that "the Superb Pink finish helps to give this flute a much warmer sound, allowing for a rich tone with enough variance to be expressive with your music". I didn't know that.
ebay ad
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't know whether humidity affects the tone of a flute, but, evidently, the color of the flute does. It's amazing what you can learn when you read the ebay ads. The seller mentions that "the Superb Pink finish helps to give this flute a much warmer sound, allowing for a rich tone with enough variance to be expressive with your music". I didn't know that.
ebay ad
Translation: The metal is so thin that it needs a thick layer of varnish to make it stiff enough to play.... :o

Humidity per se has a slight sharpening effect.......the flattening might be due to a lower temperature accompanying the change in (relative) humidity............ :-?
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

my blackwood bodied Seery consistently reads sharper in hot dry weather and cold dry weather and flatter (closer to concert pitch) in what we fancifully term "irish weather" down under, namely, drizzly, cool or misty weather.

I raised this issue in Talasiga's Irish Flute topic some time ago if you're interested.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Changing the humidity from 0% to 100% increases velocity of sound by 0.37%.....ie. sharpens by 6.4 cents....

Expansion or contraction of the flute is another matter ........

Edit: Thinking about it, increased wall losses would have a flattening effect. Funny though, the viscosity and thermal conductivity of air both decrease w/ humidity so the increased loss would have to come from a change in the bore surface..humidifying the wood surface or maybe condensation....be interesting to compare to a metal flute sometime....
603/329-7322
Ben Shaffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Jack and Talis,
this is one of those topics that seem to defy a definitive answer.
Jack as you point out humidity increase ultimately sharpens a note. ie speed of sound, but with humidity increase does the bore not expand and will a narrow bore not flatten a note?. I know since I've had an increase in humidity in my town, my notes have flattened, but I also wonder if I'm playing more focused and down into the chimney which of course flattens a note. Hey, but why lose any sleep on this subject, all I know is my Flute is sounding great:D,
but I'll see how I sound at the next session:o
Ben S
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Relative to playing the flute I can't picture a change in relative humidity being very noticable to the wood of the flute. Now a goatskin is another thing altogether.

By the way, when I first saw the title of this thread for a moment I thought it said "Does humility effect the pitch of a Flute?"

Which of course it does.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Certainly a much bigger effect ! :D
603/329-7322