Munster piping results

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Munster piping results

Post by rorybbellows »

I was at the Munster Fleadh in Kenmare a few weeks back and heard some of the piping competition and the standard of playing was excellent.I think the future of piping is in good hands.
Heres the results. Anyone know what foinn malla means (don't hurt your neck)

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Munster piping results

Post by Jumper »

rorybbellows wrote:Anyone know what foinn malla means
Slow airs?
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One of my pupils was first in the 12-15 slow airs in the Munster. Only 18 months on the pipes. Fair play to her.
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, slow airs - foinn malla (plural), fonn mall (singular)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Do you think competitions are a good thing ,would you enter one if you had the oppertunity or are they only for younger pipers and does it do them any good ?

RORY
ps Thanks for the answers on the translation.
pps Peter,congrats to your student , she must be talented to do so good in such a short time.
I'm Spartacus .
Wannabe-Piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

rorybbellows wrote:Do you think competitions are a good thing ,would you enter one if you had the oppertunity or are they only for younger pipers and does it do them any good?
Yes and no. Its very good for gettin a few tunes(and airs) and really working on them to use as party pieces etc. Also, really working on a tune does wonders for your playing.

On the downside, many young players, and some of the older ones too, get wayyyyyyy to hung up about competitions. Its a matter of life and death to them sometimes.

On the whole though, I'd say theyre good :D
djm

Post by djm »

From the comments I've heard from young musicians who grew up through the Comhaltas process, it seems that this is where they get introduced to other kids their own age who also play ITM, so they don't feel like freaks on the fringe anymore, and learning the music becomes a fun thing to do with friends. This way, they all know each other at the competitions, and it makes for a more friendly atmosphere. This sounds like it's a good thing.

But then I hear that at the end of the Comhaltas stuff for kids there's a big vacuum, and the kids say they feel let down and drift away from the music, so maybe it's not so great. I guess whatever works to keep them interested and self-motivated to continue to develop themselves as players and to keep the tradition going is best.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Is this event for CCÉ members only?

TK
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi tommy

You do not have to be a CCE member to compete.

I was a spectator at the Senior All Ireland this year, the standard of piping, (with the honourable exception of the winner who played really well, especially in the airs competition), was mediocre. There was only 3 competitors in the main and 2 in the airs.

Here is the 2nd place player in the airs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxtELvTOIY

This is her playing in the main competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmgpqF-ikuM

The 15-18 competition was where the quality playing occurred.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Comhaltas has a branch in Montreal and organises a Fleadh every year. It's mostly step dancing but fiddle, flute and whistle competitions are also organised. A few years ago there was talk of adding piping to the competitions but nothing came of it (mainly because no pipers entered).

I wouldn't mind taking part in a competition. I've no illusions about winning but I would welcome a reason to work on my technique and the chance to get critiqued by someone who knows something about traditional music.
PJ
Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

BigDavy wrote:
Have to agree there, did you see the both slow and fast competitions?
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

...i reckon we all turned our heads to the left to see the 1st post of this thread?

;-)
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Wannabe-Piper wrote:
BigDavy wrote:
Have to agree there, did you see the both slow and fast competitions?
Only the the last player in the fast competition and the whole of the airs.

David
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

PJ wrote:Comhaltas has a branch in Montreal and organises a Fleadh every year. It's mostly step dancing but fiddle, flute and whistle competitions are also organised. A few years ago there was talk of adding piping to the competitions but nothing came of it (mainly because no pipers entered).

I wouldn't mind taking part in a competition. I've no illusions about winning but I would welcome a reason to work on my technique and the chance to get critiqued by someone who knows something about traditional music.
Hi PJ

There was a Canadian that qualified for the senior All Ireland, but he didn't come over to compete. I reckon he threw away the chance of 2 silvers in the competition.

David
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

BigDavy wrote:
PJ wrote:
I would welcome a reason to work on my technique and the chance to get critiqued by someone who knows something about traditional music.[/quote]

Hi PJ

There was a Canadian that qualified for the senior All Ireland, but he didn't come over to compete. I reckon he threw away the chance of 2 silvers in the competition.

David

PJ...
ye have to be joking there..the competitions are very subjective so it all depends on the fancy o the adjudicator.I have been adjudicated by folk who don't play the pipes,or don't play the regulators,or who like only a particular style...one mans meat is another mans poison and all that...ye will get little if feck all back on that.Competitions are not really based on the music and there is more than a little nepotism at work.I think the competition should be held wi the competitor screened frae the judges and just give a number not a name.The adjudicator then has to listen to the music only and judge.Simple really.

Davy Ye said I would have won the silvers if'n I went :boggle:
Are ye saying that we all could have won silvers if'n we went? :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
ps see ye Thursday?
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.