Help with crans?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Help with crans?

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Can anyone please tell me how to do one of these? I'm really having trouble with them. Thanks!
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
MichaelR

Re: Help with crans?

Post by MichaelR »

Check this site:
http://www.whistletutor.com/advanced.htm#lesson12
CrazedHavoc wrote:Can anyone please tell me how to do one of these? I'm really having trouble with them. Thanks!
CrazedHavoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Thank you.... Dang they're kinda difficult.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

You need this:

That lesson is OK as far as it goes. Just be aware that topic of crans is way more complicated than that. And many fine whistlers and fluters never use them.

FWIW, I usually cran with B1 - B2 - T3, and not as the video suggests.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Hm, Listen to Willie Clancy.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I do B2-B1-B2
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

There was a long-ish thread about whistle crans last year:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=52118
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The old-time flute and whistle players didn't play crans the way they're played on the pipes.

They played what I'll call the "fluteplayer's cran".

It's very easy to play and though it doesn't sound much like the piper's cran when played slow, when played up-to-speed in the context of a tune it sounds cranlike. It's actually more like how cranlike ornaments are done on the accordion etc.

It's just another example of how each instrument finds its own path to produce the music.

Anyhow you just play bottom D - F# - E - bottom D.

That's it. Not rocket science.

The trick is getting the timing right.

Matt Molloy is often credited with introducing the piper's cran onto the flute. Don't know if he really was the first. But certainly it was his recordings which popularised the piper's cran on the flute (and by extension the whistle).

The piper's cran is four bottom D's in the space where only three notes would ordinarily go.

These bottom D's can be enunciated by any of the digits:

bottom-hand middle finger (F# cut)

bottom-hand index finger (G cut)

upper-hand ring finger (A cut)

The sequence doesn't matter and varies from piper to piper. I know because I've been to dozens of uilleann workshops over the last 30 years and every piper seems to do them differently.

I go F#-G-A. Some reverse that. Patsy Touhey went G-F#-A. Some pipers just go G-F#-G, reserving the A cut for seperating melody notes before and/or after the cran. Whatever.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

FJohnSharp wrote:I do B2-B1-B2
Me too... :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

I assume by "piper's cran" you mean the double cran correct? As I understand it, both crans came from the pipes, so that would leave me to believe both crans are in fact piper's crans... :really:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

For low D cran i use...

xxx xxx
xxo xxx
xxx xxx
xxx oxx
xxx xxx
xxx xox
xxx xxx

For high D

xxx xxx
tongue
xxx xxx
xxx oxx
xxx xxx
xxx xox
xxx xxx

To put it in perspective, i've been playing for 3.5 years and i still struggle on speed with crans. For me, tunes with crans usually have their whole speed dictated by the speed i can play the crans in them.

Just another ten or so more years and i'm sure i'll get there!!!!" :lol:
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

I just started on them yesterday, and they seemed really hard at first, but they're not bad once you get going. Just practice them in slow motion over and over again. I'm learning the first kind described above by free-feet. It sounds really nice when you get the timing right. It's like a bubbly triplet.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I use cuts to L3, R1, R2 usually, in both octaves, though of course in the second 8ve they all produce a "cut" to an out-of-tune C# below the D they are punctuating - which doesn't matter at all - it's the (correctly timed) rhythmic burble effect that counts; pitch of the cuts is not important in most contexts even for low D.

Following Pancelticpiper's suggestions above, I'm also trying to familiarise myself with the Patsy Touhy sequence.

Like most things in tootling, getting them off is just a matter of practice, working from getting the sequence you choose clean at a slow speed up to where you can fire it off in context at full rattle. I would recommend going for the full 4D/3 cut versions over the 2 cuts only methods. Regardless of its history in application to the flute and whistle, it is to my ear far more effective where musically feasible. There are musical contexts where the double cut methods fit in better, but you'll probably find those by realising that is what you are doing in those contexts, that the triple cut method just doesn't quite fit, without particularly intending them consciously.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

pancelticpiper wrote:The old-time flute and whistle players didn't play crans the way they're played on the pipes.

They played what I'll call the "fluteplayer's cran".

It's very easy to play and though it doesn't sound much like the piper's cran when played slow, when played up-to-speed in the context of a tune it sounds cranlike. It's actually more like how cranlike ornaments are done on the accordion etc.

It's just another example of how each instrument finds its own path to produce the music.

Anyhow you just play bottom D - F# - E - bottom D.

That's it. Not rocket science.

The trick is getting the timing right.

Matt Molloy is often credited with introducing the piper's cran onto the flute. Don't know if he really was the first. But certainly it was his recordings which popularised the piper's cran on the flute (and by extension the whistle).

The piper's cran is four bottom D's in the space where only three notes would ordinarily go.

These bottom D's can be enunciated by any of the digits:

bottom-hand middle finger (F# cut)

bottom-hand index finger (G cut)

upper-hand ring finger (A cut)

The sequence doesn't matter and varies from piper to piper. I know because I've been to dozens of uilleann workshops over the last 30 years and every piper seems to do them differently.

I go F#-G-A. Some reverse that. Patsy Touhey went G-F#-A. Some pipers just go G-F#-G, reserving the A cut for seperating melody notes before and/or after the cran. Whatever.
thanks for that.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit