RE: Plastic bags

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by patsky »

After a few letters back and forth concerning the problems presented by the leather bags I decide to wrote a note supporting the use of Vinyl plastic bags sometimes called Naugahyde.

I have been playing the pipes for over 30 years and have used plastic bags for most of that time. I find that leather bags are expensive, leaky and prone to rot. The best thing to do with a leaky bag, leather or plastic, is to throw it in the trash and get a good bag.
Filling the bag with gook such as grease and wax just make a mess and will eventually destroy the leather.

Back in the early 1970’s I made a “Naugahyde” bag for Seamus Ennis. Total cost …3 pounds. Seamus loved it and joked about hunting the elusive Nauga. He used that bag until he died in the early 1980’s.

A few months later I instructed Paddy Keenan and His father, in Donahughe’s Pub” how to make a plastic bag. Paddy uses plastic bags to this day.

The point is that one can make a bag with one yard of material and a tube of “Barge” cement, for under $15.00. The bag will last up to 10 years and is completely leak proof and air tight.

Tip one…. If you insist on a leather bag, be sure and use a bag cover because the sweat from you arm will build a base of grease and salt that is a bacteria’s dream; guaranteed to rot.

Tip two…if you insist on a leather bag make sure that it does not leak at all…if it does send it back.

In the meantime give the old plastic bag a try.

All the best,
Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

Naugahyde is not without its problems too:

http://www.brokennewz.com/usnews/nauga.asp
Simon
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

A question, Pat: What strength of Naugahide do you use?
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

simonknight wrote:Naugahyde is not without its problems too:

http://www.brokennewz.com/usnews/nauga.asp
I heard that Sarah Palin vetoed a similar initiative in Alaska. As a result, the Alaskan Nauga is now extinct.
PJ
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: RE: Plastic bags

Post by tansy »

Hans-Joerg wrote:A question, Pat: What strength of Nauga hide do you use?
I found you want the one with the solid cloth bonded to the back, not the fuzzy stuff. I go to an auto fabric supply shop and bought a remnant roll for $6., enough for 4 bags. I use Marine 3M 5200 caulk, the"slow cure", it takes a week to cure but is forever. My D set has a Mcharg leather and the C set and practice bag are the elusive naugha. I like the leather but probably would not buy another. I feel it is important to have a thick cloth cover as the naugha is hot and sweaty on a bare arm. The slow cure 5200 takes 7 days to cure but it is worth the wait.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

What type of seam are y'all gluing together (i.e. a wrap-around seam like D. Daye uses or more similar to a saddle-stitched seam... but without the stitches)?
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Ive used nauga bags for several different types of pipe, glueing the seam with stuff specifically reccomended by the nauga people. (its a little more expensive than whats been metioned here, and somewhat harder to locate)
anyway, yeah, they're ok:
but one consistent problem ive had with them is that;
once the bag is leakproof & filled with air, there is a tendency for the material to rip upon inflation just above the glue line.
I have not tried, but like the idea of rubber for uilleann. I have a innertube zampogna bag, but there are signifigant moisture problems with mouthblown pipes: another thread,
but rubber for a dry blown pipe is something i'd really like to give a go at. (good luck trying to find an old truck tube, however!)
WilliamEReubens

Post by WilliamEReubens »

Over in Green (as opposed to Great) Britain they are actively discouraging the use of plastic bags as they are harmful to the environment.

Leather is much greener and if you have a large garden you can keep a goat or two and grow your own replacement bags :P

Bill
billh

Post by billh »

CHasR wrote: I have not tried, but like the idea of rubber for uilleann. ...
I've run across several of these - didn't Crowley use them at some point?

Really horrible IMO, I can't stand them. Smelly, with tie-in problems, and too stretchy - not enough control - my least favorite type of bag (well, maybe second-least, after extra-heavy-duty old-fashioned canvas impregnated with goo). YMMV though.

Bill
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Have seen both Crowley and also Alphonso Kennedy sets with original rubber bags.

Gaitas also use car / lorry innertube for bag material but the hotter and drier climate mitigates the moisture problem

The chemicals in the rubber (sulpher ?) can rapidly tarnish metal parts.

Makintosh material has also been used for the bags as is the more modern version Goretex.

The impregnated rubber bag were favoured by some of the French Pipe makers. Easy to make as you just stretch a suitable piece of close weave canvas on a frame and paint it with several layers of liquid latex. This is then cut to shape then dusted with french chalk or talc to stop it sticking to itself but leaving a 20mm strip round the edge to join it together to form the bag usually with an additional welting strip.

Chris
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Chris Bayley wrote:

Gaitas also use car / lorry innertube for bag material but the hotter and drier climate mitigates the moisture problem

Chris
nope.
this may be a teachable moment here for you pal:
There's nowhere for condensation to go in a rubber bag. It cant evaporate through the material. In fact the lower the RH, the more condensation accumulates in the innertube.
BUT:
Let's ask a real Gaitiero:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=62616
patsky

Post by patsky »

The best plastic is known as Marine grade vinyl. With the cloth lining is the best. Some of the materials have a nylon mesh lining…no good.

http://www.fabricdirect.com/acatalog/Ma ... Vinyl.html

On the negative side I have had a few bags crack , but the average life for mine has been around 5 years. Considering that many of the leather bag makers are charging upward of $170.00 the old plastic starts to look good even if you have the replace one every few years.

I agree with Billh that rubber bags suck. And that a good leather bag is still the best. The main thing is that the leather must be air tight without having to fill the bag with gunk to get it to seal.

Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How about this style of bag?

tansy

Post by tansy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:How about this style of bag?

for Cauld wind pipes I wpould just hook it up to my Cpap machine :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tansy wrote: for Cauld wind pipes I wpould just hook it up to my Cpap machine :)
:lol: