Paddy Keenan

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
4.0fig
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Paddy Keenan

Post by 4.0fig »

Just saw Paddy Keenan last night for the first time. What an amazing musician and genuine nice guy. Having grown up and lived in a middle of nowhere farm town, I feel very lucky to have had a chance to see a piper of that ability. For those of you that have not seen him, if you get the chance don't miss it...
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Yeah, that's right=)
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I saw him a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver; I took my non-ITM appreciating girlfriend. She was a trouper about it, admitting only that it would have been ok with her they'd ended at the break instead of coming back for round 2.

I was impressed; a two hour concert of solo pipes or pipes+strum* is about as challenging a show for a non-initiate as I'm likely to want to go to.

*Tommy O'Sullivan (the singer/guitarist) was having a tough time adapting to wet coast humidity and heat after the cold wet summer they've been having this year; he cut a few of his bits short. I think that the vancouver short was the second date of the tour after Seattle the night before.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
4.0fig

Post by 4.0fig »

Tommy must have adapted to the climate by the time he got to Fresno as he was in fine form last night. I was so jazzed about talking to Paddy and getting his CD with Tommy that I forgot to buy one of Tommy's CDs...I am going to order it on the net.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

4.0fig wrote:Tommy must have adapted to the climate by the time he got to Fresno as he was in fine form last night. I was so jazzed about talking to Paddy and getting his CD with Tommy that I forgot to buy one of Tommy's CDs...I am going to order it on the net.
I bought the double CD that was a benefit for some hall in Martha's Vinyard, which had trax from the two of them, plus Tommy Peoples and a host of other A-listers.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

He's down here in L.A. at Boulevard Music in Culver city on Friday, 9/5. A bunch of the NFC of the SCUPC are going.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I finally got to see Paddy last year in a very small and intimate venue here in Maine after growing up listening to him. Was great and as an unexpected bonus, he had Mick and Eamonn Coyne up with him for a few sets. And yes, he is a true gentleman.
Corin
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Met him last year here in Finland, we played together with sessions and workshop.Nice person indeed.He let us play also his set too.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I saw Paddy Keenan play in Greensboro, NC, many years ago. He was great to watch and listen to, but he was rather drunk and obnoxious, especially after the concert at our local session. At least that night, he was anything but a gentleman. Great musician though. I suppose I could have caught him at a bad time, but the experience has stuck with me all these years.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

mahanpots wrote:I saw Paddy Keenan play in Greensboro, NC, many years ago. He was great to watch and listen to, but he was rather drunk and obnoxious, especially after the concert at our local session. At least that night, he was anything but a gentleman. Great musician though. I suppose I could have caught him at a bad time, but the experience has stuck with me all these years.
Tommy O'Sullivan was wandering around with a beer in his hand before the show, but Keenan had only water. I don't think he drinks any longer.

C.S. Lewis
waymer

Post by waymer »

Well he was neighther drunk nor obnoxious in Fresno. As matter of fact he was very generous with information on music, both the technical aspects of the instrument as well as historical and philisophical approaches to music.
When he is on, and he certainly was Tuesday, he can reduce me to fits of giggling giddiness. Lets all hope that he can continue to produce the kind of piping that inspires and informs us of the potential that this begiling musical instrument holds for all of us.
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

s1m0n wrote:
mahanpots wrote:I saw Paddy Keenan play in Greensboro, NC, many years ago. He was great to watch and listen to, but he was rather drunk and obnoxious, especially after the concert at our local session. At least that night, he was anything but a gentleman. Great musician though. I suppose I could have caught him at a bad time, but the experience has stuck with me all these years.
Tommy O'Sullivan was wandering around with a beer in his hand before the show, but Keenan had only water. I don't think he drinks any longer.
I feel kind of bad saying what I did, but I thought it was informative from the standpoint that your behavior as a performer during and after the performance can have a lasting effect on people's impressions. I'd go see him again if I had a chance. Perhaps, I'd be impressed with his personality as well as his musicianship this time. It was more than 10 years ago that I saw him.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
4.0fig

Post by 4.0fig »

He still drinks...he had a couple of beers the other night. Sometimes I think all of the travel and bs that musicians have to go through on the road will affect their personality from time to time and maybe you caught him on an off night. Maybe not...all I have to go from is the one night I saw and met him and he was a true gentleman...
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

The night I saw him he had one pint during the one break he took and one after the show and that was it. I think He's found a way to live in a happy medium. He frankly and freely acknowledges his past problems with drink and also his struggle with some of the vestiges of growing up as a Traveller and its effects. No big deal now I think.
Corin
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

well he was in my town last May,
We were a lucky few: there was just 4 or 5 pipers at a pre-concert workshop, a lot of one-on-one with him.
What's encouraging is he will force you to play something unlike what he would do himself,
then frustratingly, he'll go and do something you just cant resist figuring out...
So, dont go to a PK workshop looking to unlock his technique,
but expect to leave with a new outlook on how to find your own path...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishphila ... 199468572/Image

oh, & dont think of preparing a tune he's put on record, or something that's come out recently...learn something from the generations prior...Ennis, McAloon, Clancy, etc... just my observation....