session idea

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

I think it can be safely assumed that Ennis would have been more interested in the drinking in the pubs he visited than the music which could have been and indeed was played in the various kitchens on his travails :wink:
rgouette, I missed the Bloomsbury gig by a few decades :love:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Ciotog

Post by Ciotog »

There's a new development in Ireland - or at least in my bit of it.
The new minimum-waged immigrants can't afford to go to pubs and have their own drinking houses or sheebeens. My father used to refer to houses he remembered from his childhood as 'rambling houses' where musicians gathered and where whiskey was served. I presumed the name came from the expression of 'going for a ramble' or a walk. In one such house in Harold's Cross, Dublin, Seamus Ennis's father and other pipers used to gather. The other family names my father mentioned are still popular in Dublin piping today.
Pubs in Ireland now all have loud pop music and television screens in every nook. As I friend of mine who lived in Moscow for a time remarked: 'Ireland will soon be the only country without an Irish pub.' For the craic, my friend and I went into a Bord Failte office in Dublin and asked if they knew a pub without television. The young lady replied: 'In Dublin or Ireland?' We said we'd settle for Ireland. After much consultation with colleagues she said she didn't know of any.
Sorry for rambling but here's the good bit. Last Sunday night I attended a 'concert' in a local hostel (I mean a real hostel, not a hotel or pub). The audience of about 40 sat in battered armchairs, sofas, benches and listened to a concert of O'Carolan with a break where a young woman told the story of Oisin with great drama. It was 10 euro in but you got free punch and the concert lasted two hours. I think it is a formula that will be repeated.
All the best,
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Ciotog wrote: Sorry for rambling but here's the good bit. Last Sunday night I attended a 'concert' in a local hostel (I mean a real hostel, not a hotel or pub). The audience of about 40 sat in battered armchairs, sofas, benches and listened to a concert of O'Carolan with a break where a young woman told the story of Oisin with great drama. It was 10 euro in but you got free punch and the concert lasted two hours. I think it is a formula that will be repeated.
All the best,
I don't do why I find this a wonderful thing, but I do. Maybe it's because there sems to be a bit of the Shanachie aspect to it. :)
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Ciotog wrote: Sorry for rambling but here's the good bit. Last Sunday night I attended a 'concert' in a local hostel (I mean a real hostel, not a hotel or pub). The audience of about 40 sat in battered armchairs, sofas, benches and listened to a concert of O'Carolan with a break where a young woman told the story of Oisin with great drama. It was 10 euro in but you got free punch and the concert lasted two hours. I think it is a formula that will be repeated.
All the best,
I don't do why I find this a wonderful thing, but I do. Maybe it's because there sems to be a bit of the Shanachie aspect to it. :)
I didn't know O'Carolan had started touring again. Excellent!! Will he add a few North American stops on his tour? :wink:
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
All the best,
I didn't know O'Carolan had started touring again. Excellent!! Will he add a few North American stops on his tour? :wink:
Only if he can read a map.
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Not surprising about the Bord Failte lady (a friend of mine from Dublin went to work for them during the 90s - came back disappointed that all of the bords that he'd been hoping to failte hadn't turned up) - it really isn't what they deal in, more fool them. I was in Limerick last week, and in five separate pubs with no canned music - two of them with no music at all (one until we got there). :D
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I don't have the recording here but I'm pretty sure the Raineys were recorded in a pub -- of course, that was a special occasion.

I think I remember hearing the publican call time in the background, though. That was funny.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Look one or three recordings in a pub doesnae alter anything.
Fact Music was in the kitchens o cabins..Not Pubs.
Fact Dancing was in the dance halls post Dance Hall Act 1935...
Fact One Swallow a Summer doth not make.
ye can go on ad infinitum quoting snippetts of this or that but it doesnae change how it was generally speaking.I know coz I was there.
I had the benefit of being raised by me musical Grandfather in Moate and then transferring to the Irish World of London in 1954 where me Father ran a pub which happened to be right smack bang in the pre session and then the post session period of Irish traditional Music.
It was 1st hand experience not something I read in a book or heard someone mention on a radio show or whatever.:moreevil:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
pipewatcher

Post by pipewatcher »

well said.maith ort...
pipewatcher

"There's a passenger aboard that train who hasn't got on yet!"
Ciotog

Post by Ciotog »

Dear Uilliam,
Sorry to wander from the topic, and I'm sure you've dealt with this before, but if you were reared in Moate, Co Westmeath, where did you get your accent?
I stop in Moate regularly and the accent is Midlands with the young affecting American TV accents - loike totally.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I am not aware that ye have heard me?
But ne'er mind.If'n ye are really interested(which I doubt) read on....
My yoof was spent between ma Grandparents R.I.P.
Alfie agus Theresa Hackett in Newtownstewart in the County Tir Eoghin agus Willie(Pepper) Adamson in Moate.
I would say that ma accent when spoken is more Ulster, but of course heavily influenced by London where I lived and worked frae 1954 until 1991 and finally moving to Sconnie Botland where the Adamsons originally emigrated frae in 1638,kinda full circle.
But here I am and likely to stay as I want to move up North to Caithness wi a croft in mind.
This reminds me of a girl who asked me once at a festival if I was Norwegian of all things (well it was the Girvan festival !!)
I said no and said Irish. I then asked her if she had ever been to Norway to wit she replied No :boggle:
Its the same kinda thing,don't ya think.??
The Moate accent is ,akin wi most of Westmeath, less harsh sounding than Dublin, and is mistaken quite commonly for an American accent and not an affectation as ye say.I quite often mistake American visitors to Glasgow as being Irish.
Anyways enough of this old shiite.I have been polite quite long enough.,
What is the real point o this query?
Is it tae mock moi wi ma use of the vernacular? :wink: Coz if'n it be so ,for shame on ye....ye are one o many to do so...Oh the burden I have to bear just to be me,now I know what it must be like to be a saint..
Saint Uilliam doing his writing to Chiff wi a nosey cow peeking o'er his shoulder.....
I write as I think and at the moment I don't think much of yer query so I will stop writing :wink:
Slán Agat
Uilliam
Ciotog

Post by Ciotog »

No. No mocking intended. Just plain curiosity as I have not come across anyone else writing in a Scots/Ulster dialect, and I am very interested in language and the music of language.
Go n-eiri an t-adh leat
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ciotog nae offence taken..I am just killing a wee bit o time afore I go aff to ma weekly group therapy (session) for Post traumatic Stress Disorder.The fact that I still have it after almost 20years shews how effective the group is.... :boggle: So aff ye go and have a nice evening. :love: :love: :love:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam