Which Low A whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Low A whistle?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi.

I crave a low A whistle. I have my eyes on the Burke brass or composite. (I have the feeling the aluminium will be a bit on the loud side?) I also noticed there is a Waterweasel A / Bb set for sale.

I have previously tried an Alba A, but didn't like it at all. I found it very similar to a Cheftain. Way too loud in the second octave with the top couple of notes difficult to hit.

So, I'm looking for an easy blower with easy octave transitions, nice mellow tone and low air requirements.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I don't want to wait in line for six months... I'd prefer to be able to order it one of the next days so it could be shipped to me in Michigan while I'm there next week (if it is coming from the US.)

Owen
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Save your money, bide your time, and get an Abell blackwood A. There is nothing close to it that I've heard. Fits all your requirements except the patience obstacle.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

TonyHiggins wrote:Save your money, bide your time, and get an Abell blackwood A. There is nothing close to it that I've heard. Fits all your requirements except the patience obstacle.
Tony
What about the price? I'm stretching the budget with a Burke. The Abell is double that money. Is it that much better?

Owen
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

I know Mack Hoover makes low Gs. It may be worth asking if he does low As also.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I favor both the Burke and the Water Weasels A's. I own and play both of those and have had a few A's by other makers as well. The Burke, mine is aluminum, is not particularly loud. It's very pleasant throughout its range. Brass, aluminum or composite Burkes will produce the same volume. They are made to the same specs. The composite will have a mellower tone. The Burke has one of the nicest octave transitions out there (IMHO). Burkes are pretty open and free blowing too.

The Water Weasel A is a really good whistle. All of Glenn's whistles are good whistles! It has a lot of personality. Don't ask me to explain what I mean by that because I can't. It is a little louder, in my opinion, than the Burke.

I hope that adds to the confusion.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Feadoggie wrote: I hope that adds to the confusion.
Thank you Feadoggie

I'm tempted by the Water Weasel A/B set. Two for the price of one... :)

Owen
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I used to :sniffle: have a Sindt A that was fantastic. Although at that size the brass head does start to get a bit heavy.
I'd also seriously consider a Humphrey. I haven't tried an A, but I have played an older Bb, a D, and a low F, and his whistles are terrific.

I think Bb and A are the Goldilock's whistle keys--not too high, not too low...just right.
Tommy

Re: Which Low A whistle?

Post by Tommy »

MagicSailor wrote: I also noticed there is a Waterweasel A / Bb set for sale.
Owen
That is a good choice. Where is it? :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

MagicSailor wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Save your money, bide your time, and get an Abell blackwood A. There is nothing close to it that I've heard. Fits all your requirements except the patience obstacle.
Tony
What about the price? I'm stretching the budget with a Burke. The Abell is double that money. Is it that much better?

Owen
I have Abell A/Bb and just aquired a lovely set of Sindt, which ive been playing around with. I was surprised a how much I want to keep playing the sindt, even though I had an abell sitting on my mantlepiece. So I took out the Abell and played it for comparison. The Abell tone, feel, response , everything blew me away again. So I was surprised when I put it away again and got back to playing my high D Sindt. "Interesting" I thought to myself.

I am not sure if thats because the Sindt are new to me, but think that I like mucking about with the sindt. Nice back pressure, nicely responsive, not too "sweet". But when I want to play a nice tune that ive already learned I'd definitely reach for the Abell.

Note though, I found the back pressure on the larger 'A' Sindt head less satisfying than the back pressure on the smaller, so for the first time I actually enjoy playing a D more than the lower Bb or A.
MagicSailor

Re: Which Low A whistle?

Post by MagicSailor »

Tommy wrote:
MagicSailor wrote: I also noticed there is a Waterweasel A / Bb set for sale.
Owen
That is a good choice. Where is it? :)
Not telling.

Owen
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

I just bought a Hoover Low A, tunable cpvc that's very very good. The tone is wonderful, as is the tuning. The volume is on the high side of average with a bit of 'push' required for the upper part of the range. Mack had the whistle to me in about a week after confirming my "desires" about the characteristics by e-mail. Mack is great to work with and could probably work with you easily regarding shipping your whistle so as to arrive in a certain place at a certain time. That is one of the nice things about buying whistles from one man operations like Mack Hoover's.

Also Gary Humphrey makes very nice whistles also and is quite responsive to your needs when it comes to shipping times. I am sure there are other whistle makers which would "fit the bill" as well, but these are two whom I have bought from before who both make great whistles and have great customer service.

Robert :)
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

I make low A whistles too... ;-)
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Guidus wrote:I make low A whistles too... ;-)

Hey I know you! I've just finished reading your LTW web page. Very nice of you to do something like that. When I get motivated to get to the hardware store for some supplies, I'll be giving it a go for myself. I'll send you one, if it is something I get into. I'm sure my friends will want me to make them one, so one extra wouldn't kill me.
Thanks again.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My Water Weasel A, chosen for me by Glenn's daughter Bree, after his death, is one the most satisfying whistles I own. If you have a chance to purchase an A/Bb set, please do yourself a favor and do so. You will acquire a fine instrument set, and a piece of history.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Byll wrote:My Water Weasel A, chosen for me by Glenn's daughter Bree, after his death, is one the most satisfying whistles I own. If you have a chance to purchase an A/Bb set, please do yourself a favor and do so. You will acquire a fine instrument set, and a piece of history.

Best.
Byll
Thanks Byll

I went ahead and ordered the Water Weasel set from Doc Jones' site. Now I just have to wait....

Owen