Bb Flute D'Amour

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
talasiga
antispam: No

Bb Flute D'Amour

Post by talasiga »

I am meaning a tapered bore flute with
XXX XXX = the Bb lower than middle C.

I am fully aware that in certain circles "flute d'amour" could mean
a C or a B flute as well as the Bb so please don't hijack the topic with pedantic diversions.

If you have one I would like to know the span from the lowest tone hole to the highest. I am trying work something out and I don't want to be ringing flute makers until I have settled my requirements.

Much appreciated.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cork

Re: Bb Flute D'Amour

Post by Cork »

talasiga wrote:I am meaning a tapered bore flute with
XXX XXX = the Bb lower than middle C...

...If you have one I would like to know the span from the lowest tone hole to the highest. I am trying work something out and I don't want to be ringing flute makers until I have settled my requirements.

Much appreciated.
Here are approximate measurements, as taken from a Casey Burns, conical bore Bb flute, as measured from center to center of the tone holes.

From the uppermost tone hole to the lowermost tone hole, and to the nearest millimeter:

(L1)<-37mm->(L2)<-36mm->(L3)<-----93mm----->(R1)<-37mm->(R2)<-36mm->(R3)

Note: The L3 and R3 tone holes are offset.

BTW, talasiga, and just to mention it, a flute by another maker could have different measurements.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Thats a total of c.240mm. Only a few mm more than my Db bell note bansuri which I can span with either "normal" grip or the bansuri pipers' grip.

Thanks for that cork. Very helpful for my approximations.
Much appreciated.
:)
Cork

Post by Cork »

You're welcome, talasiga!

Although you didn't ask for this, the measurement from the center of the embouchure hole to the center of the L1 tone hole is approximately 297 mm, with the head joint pulled out approximately 3 mm, on the CB Bb flute.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

I have a drawing from the Bate Collection of a Stanesby Junior Flute D'Amour (c 1725). The distance from the #1 to the #6 tone hole is shown as 252 mm. The drawing notes say that it plays in B flat at A415 pitch. That would make it very close to an "A" flute at A440 pitch. So if you scaled this down to a B flat flute at A440 pitch, you would get a hole-to-hole dimension of 238 mm - very close to what Cork measured on his flute.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Hi Tal...

Finally made it home to measure the old Hy. POTTER......260mm Wow !

All the more surprising since it was probably played in high pitch ! :o

Edit: forgot they used a key on that hole...240 mm to the touch.. :oops:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Talisiga, I realize that you requested information about conical bore flutes, but just for a point of reference, my cylindrical-bore low Bb flute measures 257 mm from the center of the first hole to the center of the 6th hole, as opposed to 240 mm and 238 mm for the conical-bore flutes.

The cylindrical-bore low Bb flute is a very large flute, but with a joint between the hands and offset holes for the ring fingers, it is playable for someone with fairly large hands. My hands are relatively small for a man, so I am not able to reach the big stretch for the RH 6th hole with conventional fingering. However, if I use my pinky for that hole, I don't have any problem playing the flute, although I wouldn't attempt anything very fast.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Cork wrote:
talasiga wrote:I am meaning a tapered bore flute with
XXX XXX = the Bb lower than middle C...

...If you have one I would like to know the span from the lowest tone hole to the highest. I am trying work something out and I don't want to be ringing flute makers until I have settled my requirements.

Much appreciated.
Here are approximate measurements, as taken from a Casey Burns, conical bore Bb flute, as measured from center to center of the tone holes.

From the uppermost tone hole to the lowermost tone hole, and to the nearest millimeter:

(L1)<-37mm->(L2)<-36mm->(L3)<-----93mm----->(R1)<-37mm->(R2)<-36mm->(R3)

Note: The L3 and R3 tone holes are offset.

BTW, talasiga, and just to mention it, a flute by another maker could have different measurements.
Pssst! The total of the above measurements is 239 mm.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

talasiga wrote:... so please don't hijack the topic with pedantic diversions.

:lol:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Talisiga
The cylindrical-bore low Bb flute is a very large flute, but with a joint between the hands and offset holes for the ring fingers, it is playable for someone with fairly large hands. My hands are relatively small for a man, so I am not able to reach the big stretch for the RH 6th hole with conventional fingering. However, if I use my pinky for that hole, I don't have any problem playing the flute, although I wouldn't attempt anything very fast.
Thats why I started a topic about the TAPERED bore Bb flute.
Talasiga.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

talasiga wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Talisiga
Thats why I started a topic about the TAPERED bore Bb flute.
Talasiga.
I plead guilty to a pedantic diversion. Dimpled bore, cylindrical bore, tapered bore, speckled bore, conical bore; this is so confusing. I would also like to have total control of a topic or of a situation, but several years as a high school teacher taught me that that was a mere fantasy and not really possible.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Bb Flute D'Amour - talasiga's fantasy topic
:lol:
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

aebi Bb: 245 mm.

berti
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

oh dear! :(
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

what's wrong, talasiga? :) it is still less than all the others above...

berti