Oh source of all knowledge, I need help

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:having a clue has become a prerequisite to posting?

some of the members here are NOT going to take that well....
Ummm......yeah........I won't be posting for a while :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

little late for that innit?

where ya been?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Denny wrote:having a clue has become a prerequisite to posting?

some of the members here are NOT going to take that well....
I had a clue once. It's around here someplace.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:little late for that innit?

where ya been?
Trying to find my clue?

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd dropped mine while hiding under my desk...

found it the next time :D YMMV
Cork

Post by Cork »

A clue?

No!

I lost mine years ago, which then made life so much easier.

:-D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Bloomfield wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:The law is built to be literal. That is why it is so wordy: the words have an exact meaning.
Exact meaning my foot.
I'm with Bloom. Law codes which operate according to the "words have literal meanings" principle have been created, but while the idea makes some sense in the abstract, in the concrete they were disasters.

Napoleon's legal reforms (the Napoleonic Code) were predicated on this. He thought France to do away with judges during sentencing; that the law would be just like a mathematic equation--apply the correct formula, and the law indicates the appropriate punishment.

It worked really badly, as you might expect. Humans and conditions are too complex for that rigid approach, and words--the 'exact' meanings of words--were too fluid.

Even if a word has only one meaning the day it was written into the legal code, in remarkably short order that word can come to have a very different meaning which changes thrust of whatever law its in.

So back the judges came. It turns out that laws need judges--people who apply the essential but impossible to define degree of human understanding who are charged with interpreting the laws.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

BigDavy wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

One example was for revocation of a driver's license for DUI. While this may be required by the statute, one also has to consider if revocation will prevent the individual from earning a living.
That may work in the US Lamby, but that argument would not work here, get caught DUI - bye bye license whether you need it for your job or not. You might get a reduced ban if there are extenuating circumstances, but it will likely be a minimum of 1 year plus a fine of the equivelant of $1000 upwards (to a max of $5000). If the offence is judged serious enough it can mean prison.

David
Well, I see your point. The citation, however, was from a case in Virginia. West Virginia, to be exact. You have to make allowances for that. They still moonshine and eat possum there.
Cotelette d'Agneau