Clarkes Original......Lovers..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

"like wind in the rigging" ...what an absolutely lovely description of too much breathiness or chiff or whatever-you-want-to-call-it. :smile:
Susan
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-12-18 16:27, Blackbeer wrote:
like wind in the rigging
Maybe your Clarke needs tweaking if it makes it unplayable. Now what you so beautifully coined is to me :

1) a quality
2) a proof one doesn't need proper spelling to write beautifully (he, he...)

I'll guess this is why I like Clarke originals (maybe also because it was my first whistle) and why I bought my second Low D, an early Alba ("ribbed" decoration).

Wind in the rigging
Woosh on the moors.
Ian Anderson on the flute...

My first low was a Kerry (plastic fipple). If you like back pressure, you got it ; if you like the bell note sounding like a Kawasaki triple 2-stroke exhaust, go for it.

This notwithstanding, I don't dislike this Kerry. It has a sound of its own.
I heard "perfect" whistles played by some of the best musicians. And I prefer them unperfect, chiffy and/or breathy. Without them, I would have never started to learn music, and an instrument, when already aged humpty-seven... Close competition was U-pipe, but this was a bit expensive and just unavailable around here Far Ouest.
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

I also like the Clarke original best, but then I've only bought cheap end whistles so far! I found that the wooden fipple tends to get wet too fast, and you can't shake the moisture off and it affects playing,so I did the 'soak it in oil for 5 minutes' treatment, and then about every other time I play it, I put some chap stick on the outside part and rub it in well. Helps a lot, and of the cheap whistles, its the only one I've found so far that is accurate in hitting all the notes; my other whistles seem slightly flat or sharp on some notes. It's now my favorite whistle!! And it's purty, too!
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. - Hippolyte Taine (1829-1893)
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ah Zubivka; you make it so hard to be opionyanated.(hows that for spelling) Alright I will try to discover the charicture of this whistle. I will give my lifes breath to this whistle untill it sings for me. Thank you for the lesson.:roll:

Tom
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

It's "opiated" Image
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

lol :lol:

Tom
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Tony and list:
I've got a drawer full of Clarke D's ands C's.
The C's require massive lungs to blow enough wind thru them . I think I've almost passed out playing one.
The D's can be good or bad, it depends on the individual whistle.
I have one natural metal D whistle I painted a barn red color and take around with me to RevWar Events. Its about 6 years, dented all over, Ive left it outside, set on it, spilled numerous liquids on it and in it, generally abused it, but it sounds great!
My vote the less you do to protect these Clarke Whistles the better they sound....
Mr F
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

You bet. For certain tunes a good Clarke is just the ticket. I had one die on me once--even Thom Larson couldn't bring it back to life, but I recall favorable terms on the replacement, which is still a pleasure to turn to. The Chapstick approach always comes up in the semi-annual Clarke fipple-treatment inquiry. Hat's off to Argus-Eyed Jim Mc. for getting to it first.

I'm just glad to back up and running, hence this feeble contribution to an otherwise fine thread. I (mostly watched) went through an entire system-rebuild tonight--5 hours with a pro and Mr. Norton.

Hitting C&F was the SECOND thing I did upon returning to virtual life. My first stop was Seventh String Software. I admit it, I've become 'slow-down dependent' and their fine TRANSCRIBE product was a victim of decision to re-format and re-install.

Now, if I can just find yet another whistle I don't need, life will be more or less complete.....

Best wishes to all,

Tom D.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Following on from the comments about the high wind requirements of Clarke original C whistles,made me wonder what a Clarke Eb would sound like? If you compare,for example,Generation whistles in these two keys,then the Eb whistle sounds so much brighter and is much more responsive than the D,considering that there's only a semitone difference between them.Obviously it probably wouldn't be financially viable for Clarke to produce such an 'esoteric' instrument, but i bet that it would play and sound great!
Gary

Post by Gary »

I have an original in D but like others have mention, the air requirements are high. The feel, fingering, volume, intonation and tone are very nice. Still, there have been times when I run out of steam on a whole note.

Does The Whistle Shop modified Clarkes posess all the above features sans high breath requirements? Or, are there some sacrifices to tone, volume, etc.?

G
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

The Thom Larson tweaked D whistle is a much tighter (and better) instrument than the ones straight from the manufacturer. The breathiness goes away and the sound remains round and full. I think one of these is always a good investment. Thom also offers a cut mouthpiece, which I do not happen to favor, but that is just my personal taste.

Be well,

Tom D.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I love the Clarke Orig, but my lungs won't take all that puffing. Here's how to reduce the breath requirement without affecting any other features, and I think it makes the whistle a bit louder.
Take a pointed object like a small phillips head screwdriver and make a series of pointed indents on the top of the airway. The little dents will push the top of the airway down just a tad. They will run lengthwise from where you put your mouth, to 3/16th of an inch (about 5mm) from the window. Don't go all the way to the window. We don't want to change that spot. In other words, the dents will cover about 3/4 of the distance from the mouth end to the window. They will push down the top of the air way until a slight "gull wing" effect is seen when you look at the whistle from the mouth end. Don't overdo it. I put in about 6 dents. Let me know how it works for you.

Tom.

(PS: I use Rainex to stop clogging. It works. I hope it's not bad for me)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: E = Fb on 2002-12-20 23:24 ]</font>