Any Suggestions for What Book to Read Next?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any Suggestions for What Book to Read Next?

Post by mutepointe »

I finished "The Road" a while back. Now I'm just aimlessly reading parts of a book until I find a new book. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here are my requirements:
1. Modern American Literature
2. Light reading for relaxation. I'm reading before I fall asleep, so nothing too complicated.
3. A good funny story is always nice.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

What constitutes modern American lit, exactly?

P.G. Wodehouse spent his later years in the US, writing on into the last half of the 20th century. He's funny, too, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. Any of the Jeeves stories are priceless. Look for an anthology of them.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

It's not American, but for light and very funny, I've gotta go with
Roddy Doyle's "Barrytown Trilogy". (I'm talkin' LOL funny here)

As for American, and I warn you it's not new, but is funny,
"Taps for Private Tussie" by Jessee Stuart
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

If you want something New and Exciting and related to Irish Music, check out Bay Area Musician Danny Carnahan's new mystery "A Jig before Dying" - just out!

see http://www.dannycarnahan.com/writing/novel_jig.html

Synopsis from his website: "Back home in San Francisco after a year in Dublin, computer engineer Niall Sweeney enjoys a pleasant routine working in a bank and fiddling at night in an Irish bar. Suddenly, he is the target of a vicious and insane bar-room assault at the hands of a near-stranger. But Sweeney’s troubles really begin when he discovers the mutilated body of his attacker outside, opened like a can of sardines.

Horrifying coincidences crash down on Sweeney. Baffled, he is fingered by the police as the link connecting the murder with a complex IRA banking scam and a deadly London bombing. With the help of his wife Rose, a brilliant college literature professor, Sweeney tries to keep one step ahead of both the police and a malevolent shadowy stranger while searching desperately for the truth.

While Sweeney hunts among the bar musicians for the murderer, discovering only smoldering fear, secret affairs and a bartender who is far from what he seems to be, Rose launches off in another, seemingly crazy direction, convinced that the secret can be found in the murdered man’s obsession with a haunting thousand-year-old Irish poem—The Legend of Mad Sweeney.

Rose learns, to her horror, that by revealing the strange solution to the mystery she would destroy the lives of half a dozen innocent people. The final decision about what to do is made for her by the sinister shadow man in a terrifying and deadly climax. But to save her husband, Rose must give the police a solution to the murder that is as believable as it is completely wrong."

Enjoy!

Casey
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

How about McCarthy's Blood Meridian?

For light bedtime reading James Rollins is pretty good. Fast paced adventure.

If you want help getting to sleep you could try the Cisco certification manual.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

My recommendation is for youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne. I read it several years ago, and remember it being really funny. It's apparently about to be a movie starring Michael Cera, too (from Juno and Superbad).
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't read much comedy; however, I thought "Tick Tock" by Dean Koontz to be a good read, if a bit unusual.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Thomaston wrote:My recommendation is for youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne. I read it several years ago, and remember it being really funny. It's apparently about to be a movie starring Michael Cera, too (from Juno and Superbad).
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. The two best movies since Napoleon Dynamite. Now to see if the public library has it.

I'll check out the other books too and any other books that are mentioned.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I hope you like it. I may have to re-read it myself, now that I'm thinking about it again. :)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Funny, eh? Anything by Christopher Moore.
Practical Demonkeeping and Coyote Blue are my favorites.

Also, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet is brilliant.

If you like puns and don't mind fantasy (see also Terry Pratchet),
Harry Turtledove's Toxic Spell Dump is chock full of punnery.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I like the Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell... It's science-y yet readable and it relates to nearly everything around us.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I can recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Running-Ro ... 0143036688

Great story, modern Americana, funny, heartwarming, sad at times. Unusually free of gangsters, fantasy, general bloodshed for a book on my shelf. But quite excellent none the less.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Weekenders wrote:I like the Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell... It's science-y yet readable and it relates to nearly everything around us.
That is a good one. How about Robert Wolke for light reading about Post-Gastronomic Stress Syndrome?