Discovering new musical talent

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Discovering new musical talent

Post by Flogging Jason »

I've been a woodwind player since I was an adolescent. Whistles, Sax, Oboe, and a little flute and fife. I played a little bass guitar when I was a teenager and getting into the Punk scene but, I never did much singing or ever saw myself as a singer.

A few years ago I teamed up with a guitarist to work out some songs for gigging on Patty's Day and we got into a few ballads and drinking songs. I figured we couldn't be instrumental the whole time. So we did Patty's Day and a bit of busking for practice and my singing was well recieved, even complimented! The following year it was the same...different guitarist..same result....people liked hearing me sing!

Now, I sing a fair bit at work to pass the time and some times I get a firm "shut up!" but sometimes a coworker will tell me thay love my voice(even if they hate my choice in music). But regardless...I started learning guitar to facilitate more singing for myself. I've played for total strangers a few times and always been complimented....even encouraged through my jitters....even bloody tipped! One person asked me if I did professional gigs!

I NEVER saw myself as a singer until recently. Realizing that I have a decent(a really good one according to some) voice has been rather surreal for me. It's like finding out you have a long lost sibling and taking the time to learn all about them!

Just wondering if anyone here has had personal realizations of a similar nature. The discovery of self I'm finding to be a truly fantastic voyage.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I never saw myself as a musician. I had a brief and discouraging stint with the guitar as a kid. I have told the story a couple of times, but it is worth repeating. On a trip to the Pacific Northwest, I heard some beautiful music playing over the public address system at the Oregon Aquarium.

A couple of days later I was in Seattle's Pikes Place Market. There was a vendor selling ceramic flutes. I thought to buy one and learn to play that tune I heard in the aquarium. I picked up a ceramic flute, and of course, nothing. The vendor suggested a small ocarina instead. I took that home and soon reached its limits. I saw a Clarke whistle in a book store with the Bill Och's tape (this is a while ago) and booklet.

I took to the whistle like a duck to water. I loved it. After many years with whistle, I bought a keyless flute. I write my own material, have performed any number of times. There have been occasions, when I have my audience completely spell bound. I know that my original music, is not flavor of tea favored by the ITM crowd. Still, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I have touched many people with my music and it has gotten me through some tough times.

I still don't play ITM, don't have desire for it. I don't know very many popular cover songs. My original music has its unique charms. I do sing a bit, but most of the time that is not so appreciated.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I recently discovered I have no talent. Yes, it's been a little surreal!
:really:

That's cool Jason. 'Tis a fine thing when a layer of life we never knew about reveals itself in a positive way.
Last edited by emmline on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:I recently discovered I have no talent. Yes, it's been a little surreal!

There is no such thing as Talent, only Practice.

Slan,
D, :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:
emmline wrote:I recently discovered I have no talent. Yes, it's been a little surreal!

There is no such thing as Talent, only Practice.

Slan,
D, :)
You trying to rain on my grumpfest D? (That doesn't even make sense, does it?)

As Thomas Edison said, genius (or could we substitute talent?) is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

I say: Just don't underestimate the importance of that 1%.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote: You trying to rain on my grumpfest D? (That doesn't even make sense, does it?)
Makes sense to me.
Fool that I am I forgot about the time difference so I'll head off into town for a few hours while you have a coffee or three.

You are far too pretty to be frowning anyway.. :wink:
Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

That's great that you discovered you can sing. I used to sing in high school. I really enjoyed it. I was never any good but I sang alto in the choir and had a lot of fun. I swear I can't do it anymore.

Relatively late in life I discovered I have some athletic talent. I can't play any team sports and I'm not very strong, but I can walk far. Finding out that I am strong and can walk miles and miles made me feel great. It's like I discovered that I can be athletic, too. Too bad they didn't have hiking (or other similar individual, quiet, non-competitive sports) in school or else I might have enjoyed P.E.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

sbfluter wrote:Too bad they didn't have hiking (or other similar individual, quiet, non-competitive sports) in school or else I might have enjoyed P.E.
My husband said the same thing when he fell in love with hatha yoga.

His parents and school music program turned him off with music by forcing him to take a marching band instrument. He no sooner wanted to play "fight songs" than be in a competitive team sport.

These days he finds banjo a meditation far away from the world of IT.
emmline

Post by emmline »

sbfluter wrote: Too bad they didn't have hiking (or other similar individual, quiet, non-competitive sports) in school or else I might have enjoyed P.E.
That is the truth.

2 of my girls were track and cross-country runners in HS. Now, as I knock myself out on the elliptical I wonder...and wish I had tried cross-country back before I donated my joints to childbearing. It was a small and largely unnoticed sport back in my day, and I was a lazy kid...and now I will never know!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Congratulations, Jason. It just goes to show that it's never too late to develop a new skill. Very cool.

I agree about the PE thing, too. Our district seems to be moving toward a life-long approach, teaching skills kids might actually enjoy after they graduate high school. The Outdoor Ed class is a real hit at Lander High School--fly fishing, rock climbing, backpacking...stuff that might actually encourage kids to be healthy, active adults down the road.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey, Em, what is an eliptical? Some sort of exercise machine? I don't know what the situation is with your joints, but I'll bet there is some way you could at least get outside. Machines have always been really depressing to me. Reminds me of a haiku I saw once about a girl riding an excercise bike in the living room, watching a nature video. :)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

That's great Jason. I'm glad you're enjoying your voice. I have a theory that lots of people have very good singing voices but they've never given it a go. I have another theory that everyone has some tremendous talent inside of them and sometimes people run across that talent and some times they don't. Maybe I have a talent like football coaching but that talent sure isn't going to be found. Sometimes people's best talents are being themselves.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Wyo- that class sounds really cool. I wish I'd had something like that in school. I had to resort to marching band to get all my exercise back then.

Btw- an elliptical is kinda like a stair master, but instead of stepping it's more of an oval shape your feet make as you move.