Bellows and bag question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bellows and bag question

Post by pipersgrip »

I finally got my bellows, and now I can start piping after almost a year. My problem is that the bellow tube is as thick as the bag's tube, so I really can't connect them since they are the same sizes. Is there something I can get so the will fit into each other properly? Thanks.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
valium
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by valium »

what type of blowpipe does your bag have?I think a photo may help to explain the issue
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I often have this problem with sets I buy for the store. Pipers often want to keep their bellows and send me another that doesn't jive with the blow pipe.

I've solved the problem two different ways.

Cheap and quick way:

Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of clear rubber hose that'll slide over both bits. This has the added advantage of keeping you from taking yourself too seriously while your playing your pipes. You can get your wife to make a nice fabric sleeve fro it if you like.

Less cheap and less quick way: There is a machinist shop a few blocks from my house. I take my pipes down and have them make a connector/adaptor that will work out of plastic. The machinists get a big kick out of me lugging my pipes in and rarely charge me. :)

I'm interested to hear how smarter guys may be solving this.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Also in the local hardware you'll find a section full of plastic, brass and copper connectors used in plumbing. Take the measurements of the bellows outlet and the connector hose and have a look at what the hardware store offers.
PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Go to your local aquarium/pond store and buy some flexible, black pond pump hose of an internal diameter that just fits over the metal connector pipe on your bellows. This needs to be a tight enough fit to be air-tight. The connector pipe on the bag is usually cone-shaped, so it will adapt more readily to various sizes of hose. Usually a 0.5" ID hose works.

The hose between the bellows and bag does not have to be any specific length. Some people like it very short, so that the hose connection helps push the bag up under their arm. Others (like me) prefer a very long hose, so that movement of the bellows arm does not affect the position of the rest of the set. YMMV

Some people like to use quick disconnects between a short hose on the bellows and a short hose on the bag. This requires that you work out the length of hose connection between bellows and bag that is comfortable for you first before installing the quick disconnects in the middle, but is easily done.

Try it several ways to find what works best for you. Hose is cheap.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks guys, I will try this stuff. I will let you know how it goes. :D
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Here's a nice solution from Davy. Made one up and it works fine.

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtop ... 2a6ca353e2