Michael Vignoles Ebony flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Vikke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Vikke »

Hi you all! My name is Vikke from Hungary.
I started to learn in my Tony Dixon polymer flute in the last autumn, but now, I'd like to buy a wooden one.
What are you think about Michael Vignoles Ebony flute??
http://www.irelandwoodcrafts.com/produc ... cts_id=115
Very cheap, but if it's not so crappy it'll be enough for me. Thanks for the advice!
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Vikke, and welcome!
I haven't come across Michael Vignoles before, nor seen mention of him or his flutes that I recall. As there is a total lack of information about most of his products on his website, most especially the flute - not even a close-up picture of that - it really isn't possible to express an opinion. The website does say he makes everything himself and I'm not directly challenging that, but I do think that so far as one can tell the flute and its box look very like other generic "Irish" flutes that one sees all over the place, many of them being made in Pakistan. Some are good, others poor. I would at least contact him and ask some questions before buying! I find it strange that, as a maker, he doesn't give any information at all about what models he is copying, what timber and other materials he is using and how he sources it, nor his making methodology and background - even for his main product line, bodhrans. Have a look at some other makers' websites and you will see what I mean! There are plenty of other starter keyless flutes in that price range or a little higher which can be vouched for in terms of origin, quality and playability by forum members here and/or whose makers have much more informative websites.

If you can't get comments on the Vignoles product from people who have direct experience of them, I'd say check out Doc Jones' online catalogue and Hobgoblin etc. - if you're going to go for a generic keyless flute, at least get it from a known source. Also do some browsing of the flute makers on the Makers List - many of them make keyless starter models in the price range you are contemplating. There's plenty of choice out there - do a bit more research (you'll learn lots in the process!) and be as sure as possible that you are spending your money on what you actually want.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Darren

Post by Darren »

I would certainly be wary of buying a flute for $400 dollars unless there have been recommendations from users.

The Casey Burns Folk Flute is mentioned over and over again on these forums and is known for excellent sound and build quality and a crazy good deal. It is also under $400 but comes for a very reputable maker.

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php
space for rent
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Michael Vignoles is a known uilleann pipe maker and has a good reputation. Do search in the uilleann pipe forum here on C&F, and you will find plenty of discussions on his work.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ditto Jonathan. Mr. Vignoles is also a fine piper and whistle player. I would imagine his flutes would display a solid grade of workmanship.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

mmm..., well I don't know how this flutes sounds, but I've just came from Ireland, and I saw Vignoles instruments for sale in souvenir stores, between Leprechauns and Guinness items... :-?
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I too am interested in purchasing a flute, and was intrigued by Vignoles' prices. So far only speculation on this thread. Is anyone able to post something objective, or send me a PM if you have played one of his flutes? thanks.
"Luck is important"
Henke

Post by Henke »

Jose' Scotte' Este' wrote:I too am interested in purchasing a flute, and was intrigued by Vignoles' prices. So far only speculation on this thread. Is anyone able to post something objective, or send me a PM if you have played one of his flutes? thanks.
Here's something objective for you: Try something with a proven track record. These things do exist in the same price range. Burns Folk Flute is less than $400 and it's wooden (but lacking tuning slide and retrofit possibilities), the great polymer flutes are also in the same range, M&E R&R and Seery Pratten and they have tuning slides and possibility to retro fit keys in the future.
Why spend money on something you have no idea about what you'll get, when there are great flutes which get endorsed time after time in the exact same price range?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A Seery polymer flute is close to $700 these days. Certainly available for less in used condition. Doc Jones at the Irish Flute Store has them at about $499, and there is a recent thread on C&F ( http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=61724 ) at a price that DOES bring it into range.

Kevin Krell
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Jonathan wrote:Michael Vignoles is a known uilleann pipe maker and has a good reputation. Do search in the uilleann pipe forum here on C&F, and you will find plenty of discussions on his work.
In fact the reputation is rather mixed, I haven't seen any of his more recent work his earlier pipes were certainly, well, less recommendable. Then again, he may have come greatly since. He certainly has a market carved out for himself in the low price bracket of shops as well as on-line.

Never buy any instrument untried and unseen, that's the safe and only way to go.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Peter Laban wrote: Never buy any instrument untried and unseen, that's the safe and only way to go.
Unfortunately, that's an impossibility for the vast majority of us, which was the reason for the original question. I suggest, as does Henke, that the value of this board is that you can read a wide variety of opinions, and get a sense of a maker's reputation. I second the Burns, M&E, and Seery suggestions.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Well, the new get to the point of the value of recommendations again. I have seen instruments of makers recommended here (not on this thread but in general on the forums) that were very mediocre indeed, completely lacking in refinement. It's a tricky business going by internet recommendations and I seriously wouldn't recommend buying any instrument unseen/untried (I have followed up a few recommendations of whistles here that made me curious, ending up in each case with a whistle I would not have bought if I had tried it beforehand). And that leaves all of us with a few roads closed to us, but such is life. Each of us has to make his/her own choices based on our own requirements, nobody else can do that for us.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It is kind of a difficult situation if you are a inexperienced player. The experienced player walks into the store, plays ten instruments, picks the best three, and then the novice walks in and gets one of the less desirable ones, not knowing what to look or listen for. Constancy has some value in these situations, even if individual personality of the instrument lacks. Access to the instrument is one thing having the ability to properly evaluate it (for oneself, let alone objectively) is another.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yes but seriously, to stay with the present example: your man above recommending and quoting 'a good reputation'. Here are a few quotes from the piping forum that appeared alongside positive ones, that mainly came from starting pipers ( the positive ones):
On 2 sept 2002 John Allison wrote:Through my experience with four different sets of Vignoles pipes, a flat set would be the best thing for them. Place them directly under the wheels of your car and drive back and forth about a dozen times!

On the other hand if you have played the ones in questions, like them, and find they are a reasonable price then go for it...I believe them to be a rare find.
In 2001, MarkJ wrote:please check your private messages as I am not willing to post what I wrote, here on this open forum.
In 2003, AlanB wrote:I've reeded a few Vignoles chanters and they've all been pretty much the same. One of the top pipemakers (remaining nameless of course) remarked "Strictly for the Tourists"................

Alan
Also in 2003, Michael Eskin wrote:I think we've must have had a string of bad luck in the SoCal Uilleann pipers club, the Vignoles sets we've had come through all had one problem or another. Looked great, but either had airflow, reed, or chanter tuning issues.

Does that warrant the recommendation of 'good reputation' on this thread?

I like to give the man the benefit of the doubt and prefer to think he may have come on since his early days but from the pipes I have seen and the reactions posted on the forums here, the feedback of 'good reputation' doesn't seem, at least , undisputed.

The point of the exercise is to show you don't want to take what you read here for granted.

Check out what you buy. Always.

[edited to fix messed up quoting]
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Peter Laban wrote:Well, the new get to the point of the value of recommendations again. I have seen instruments of makers recommended here (not on this thread but in general on the forums) that were very mediocre indeed, completely lacking in refinement.

And you're not alone in that, but those recommendations seldom stand. It is precisely because I'm new that I read the opinions. It's easy enough to determine who has skills and experience, particularly when they post clips. And we learn quickly who to write off. The result is that we have a stable of makers that most of us on this board trust, and participants (such as yourself) whose opinions are always worth considering, but never to be taken as gospel.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde