help-a-noob: question about e whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
violinmyster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

help-a-noob: question about e whistle

Post by violinmyster »

greetings!

noob here.

my wife now has the whistle bug. she comes from a background of flute and violin. I come from a background of getting glazed eyes and drooling whenever I hear musical technical terms tossed around. but Im good at turning up the sound on my audio system when playing whistle (or bagpipe) songs :)

her latest addition is a Glenn Schultz high E. what are the notes an E whistle plays? we cant find a fingering chart for it.. seems there are finger charts for everything else but the E.

we though we had it figured out, but now we have our doubts. we really need to get a tuner that costs more than $2.00.

any help appreciated :)
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Same as a D but one whole step up (using the same fingering)

E
F#
G#
A
B
C#
D#
E

Best, John
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

thanks!

we though it should be that way (one note up for the same fingering) but we couldnt quite get it to match our 2 D whistles when we played side by side. theyre all tunable so I think we were a bit off on the tuning.

much appreciated :)
MichaelR
antispam: No

Post by MichaelR »

Here's a site that should also help you out.

http://www.fullbodyburn.com/
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

found that one before, it has a chart for E flat, not E. :(

unless I missed something. Im good at that.

I found a table that (sorta kinda) had what I thought was a column for E in it (among a ton of other stuff) but I must of misread it because one of the notes didnt jive.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

violinmyster wrote:thanks!

we though it should be that way (one note up for the same fingering) but we couldnt quite get it to match our 2 D whistles when we played side by side. theyre all tunable so I think we were a bit off on the tuning.

much appreciated :)
You're welcome. You'll notice that although the notes are one whole step up, it's not one "hole" up. Some notes won't match.

It's simply a D major scale (2 sharps) on a D whistle and E major scale (4 sharps) on an E whistle.

That's oversimplification, but as I was told, "If you don't think too good, don't think too much."

Best, John
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

John McCain is right. No, wait a minute. That doesn't make any sense. I'm confused. :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

jmccain wrote: You'll notice that although the notes are one whole step up, it's not one "hole" up. Some notes won't match.

It's simply a D major scale (2 sharps) on a D whistle and E major scale (4 sharps) on an E whistle.
there you go, getting all technical on me.. now I gotta clean up the drool on the keyboard. darn sharps get me every time.
That's oversimplification, but as I was told, "f you don't think too good, don't think too much."
my new motto :D
crookedtune wrote:John McCain is right. No, wait a minute. That doesn't make any sense. I'm confused.
since Im always confused, I thought I understood it. but maybe not.

so lets see if I can get this.. with the same fingering, a E will play a whole note higher than a D, except for:

instead of E -> F, its E -> F#
instead of B -> C, its B -> C#

if so, that explains why we couldnt get the D and E whistles to "line up" note wise when we were playing with them.
kothz

Post by kothz »

[A long-winded expose on the whistle keys deleted because I found something better than what I had written. It does a good job of spilling the beans. :D ]

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whistlekeys.html
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

This is getting weird.

A D whistle will play 2 sharps or one sharp with the cross fingered Cnat (all holes open is C sharp on the D whistle). If you would play an E scale on the D whistle, with the cross fingered Cnat it would come out as an E minor scale. E, F#, G, A, B, C, D, E. Don't know why I brought that up..
Every note on the E whistle is one whole step up from every note on the D whistle with the same fingering. That means that F# becomes G#, A becomes B. However, E becomes F#, not F, and B becomes C#, not C since there's only a half step between E and F, and B and C. That was what you meant right?
Now I have a headache.
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

Henke wrote:This is getting weird.
Every note on the E whistle is one whole step up from every note on the D whistle with the same fingering. That means that F# becomes G#, A becomes B. However, E becomes F#, not F, and B becomes C#, not C since there's only a half step between E and F, and B and C. That was what you meant right?
I was wondering why E and B didnt map straight to F and C instead of F# and C# but your explaining the 1/2 step between B C and E F makes it a bit clearer to me.
Now I have a headache.
think youve got one now? lemme send you a mp3 of me playing :P
Denny

Post by Denny »

Henke wrote:This is getting weird.

~~~~~

Now I have a headache.
beginning to sound more like a dance class :D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

violinmyster wrote:
jmccain wrote: You'll notice that although the notes are one whole step up, it's not one "hole" up. Some notes won't match.

there you go, getting all technical on me.. now I gotta clean up the drool on the keyboard. darn sharps get me every time.
That's oversimplification, but as I was told, "f you don't think too good, don't think too much."
my new motto :D
crookedtune wrote:John McCain is right. No, wait a minute. That doesn't make any sense. I'm confused.
since Im always confused, I thought I understood it. but maybe not.

so lets see if I can get this.. with the same fingering, a E will play a whole note higher than a D, except for:

instead of E -> F, its E -> F#
instead of B -> C, its B -> C#

if so, that explains why we couldnt get the D and E whistles to "line up" note wise when we were playing with them.
I accuse violinmyster of not being so clueless. What noob knows what noob means or now to spell it that way? What noob knows how to multi-quote in one post? As retribution for this grievous lie, I say making him post a clip of violin would be a good beginning to re-building our trust. Either that or make him listen to a clip of a real noob make that horrible brain splitting squawk/squeal. Welcome.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

mutepointe wrote: I accuse violinmyster of not being so clueless. What noob knows what noob means or now to spell it that way? What noob knows how to multi-quote in one post? As retribution for this grievous lie, I say making him post a clip of violin would be a good beginning to re-building our trust.
Im a noob to whistles, not forums. its why Im posting this instead of my wife.

shes good at playing violin and flute and now just getting into whistels and doesnt really like forums, Im good at wasting bandwidth at forums and never even knew a whistle could be more than a kids toy. our strengths compliment each other nicely :)
Either that or make him listen to a clip of a real noob make that horrible brain splitting squawk/squeal.
heh that I can do myself. our cats run away and hide when I play as opposed to when my wife plays, then they come and sit and listen with blissful expressions on their faces. its amazing. she plays the whistle and beautiful wonderful sounds come out of it. I play the same whistle and it sounds like some awful special effect sound from a B movie about alien invaders.

I really should get earplugs for the cats for when Im playing.
Welcome.
thanks!

EDIT: bit of clarification
Last edited by violinmyster on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

buy a cheap keyboard (electric piano kinda thing)

it makes more sense if ya can just look at it and count...