P.T. Barnum Was Right

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
goesto11
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goesto11 »

There's a sucker born every minute. Here are two people bidding on a Walton's Guiness whistle. They are currently up to $27.03. Of course, they could always just buy it from Thom at the Whistle Stop for $9.50. Caveat Emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =929604078

John Mac
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

And Barnum himself couldn't have penned a more eloquent description! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I saw this and thought of posting it, too. I used to laygh at the Clarkes that regularly went for 20 bucks, but outdoes any whistle bidding I've seen on ebay. I just love in the description, "VERY HARD TO FIND."

There's another pretty hilarious one, the "vintage," "unusual item from the past" Aulos plastic recorder.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

But this one is different! See, it says it's "specifically designed to <b>effortlessly</b> create a sweet melodic tone"!

:lol:
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Go gcreime na gráinneoga cealgrúnacha do chuid calóga arbhair.
May the malevolent hedgehogs gnaw at your cornflakes.
Do I win a prize Beth? :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

ROTFLOL!

Sure, why not! Give me your addy and I'll mail you something!
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

How about those Acorns - starting bid $10.00 plus shipping? buy now for like 14.99?
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

:lol:

he he he! I makes you just wonder how naive and (yes I'm going to say it) stupid some can be! :roll:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Some people make a virtue of stupidity. I mean, a rational person wouldn't even believe it possible to know how to access and bid on eBay but not use the same Internet to verify little things like what a given object actually retails for.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Back when I was out of work and hurtin a little for cash, I tried to sell off my old clarke original. I'd mimicked some of the ad-copy I'd seen (taking close-up shots of the 1843, etc) hoping to get an inflated price.

Nobody bid, and in retrospect, I'm awfully glad they didn't. At least I started the bidding at a reasonal price. :wink:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I wonder if they'd be interested in some great Florida real estate...
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Here's what the seller, a Mr. Mark Felton, had to say about his E-Bay sale item:

My photos are original and exact. They were taken on my living room Duncan Phyfe drum table.

My description is exact and precise. It is taken verbatim from the box itself.

If you do not wish to buy the item, then please don't bid. If you have a better supplier for the item then please buy from them.

But you have some gall to suggest my photo and description are misleading. They absolutely are not.

If you think my shipping price is high then do not bid, and then try to have one of these shipped from a Mailboxes etc or some such. They will charge considerably more than I charge. My S/H is clearly stated in the auction listing.

Previous buyers who purchased this item were very HAPPY with it, and the transaction.

Mark
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

"On Dec-16-02 at 15:55:49 PST, seller added the following information:

The S/H is $3.75 (as stated in the text), it is NOT $4.75 as shown in the payment instructions window."

When did you contact them? :lol:
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I sent him a message on 12/16/02 at 5:18 PM. Here's what I said:

>Your description and photo of the item are misleading. These things are available at music stores (including e-commerce sites) for about the price you are charging for shipping. They are not "very hard to find" at all.

(That's Central time, 2 hour difference)

My message to seller was not primarily about shipping costs. My main point is that calling these "hard to find" is misleading....IMHO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: E = FB on 2002-12-18 22:13 ]</font>
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

On 2002-12-18 22:09, E = Fb wrote:
I sent him a message on 12/16/02 at 5:18 PM. Here's what I said:

>Your description and photo of the item are misleading. These things are available at music stores (including e-commerce sites) for about the price you are charging for shipping. They are not "very hard to find" at all.

(That's Central time, 2 hour difference)

My message to seller was not primarily about shipping costs. My main point is that calling these "hard to find" is misleading....IMHO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: E = FB on 2002-12-18 22:13 ]</font>
Good for you. I'd have just rolled my eyes. Mighty sensitive, wasn't he?
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."