Mid-Summer Gardening Poll

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

So how does your garden grow?

annuals
No votes
perennials
10%
bulbs
5%
shrubs
No votes
all of the above
48%
pavement
5%
whatever my partner tells me to do
5%
whatever my gardener decides
24%
ridiculous waste of time
5%

Total votes: 21

SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Pots tubs pouches baskets wall-hangers beds pond banks hedges compost heap greenhouse begonias busy lizzies geraniums petunias roses pansies sedums fuschias chrysanths shrubs trees lawns palms daffs daisies lobelias snapdragons primulas foxgloves weeds tomatoes potatoes onions weeds garlic shallots leeks broad beans weeds runner beans french beans cucumbers weeds purple sprouting broccoli brussels sprouts winter cabbage weeds lettuces spring greens summer cabbages raspberries parsnips carrots weeds jerusalem artichokes pests diseases frogs newts toads birds butterflies ants bees wasps weeds molesthelittleb@stards foxes rabbits hares bats dragonflies damsel flies weeds apples barbecue wine bottles two cats mice shrews hedgehogs grass snakes worms worms worms weeds weeds weeds

Is it worth it?

Though rough winds do shake the darling buds of May
Though summer's lease hath all too short a date
Though oft too hot the eye of heaven shines
Though every fair from fair sometime declines:

- the answer is yes! :)

(with apologies to the Bard)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hedgerows of Elder, Box, Privet, Hawthorn. Olerea, Grissellinia, Escallonia, Fuschia and more for shelter with Alder and Ash adding a bit of height and structure, vegetables, with tomato and cougette, lettuce etc inside the poly tunnel, onions and other things out (have given up on the spuds for another while because of rampant blight), raspberry, black and red current, gooseberry, rhubarb, a few apple and pear trees and whatever manages to survive the weather (especially the salty winds from the ocean scorch the leaves off anything) and can fend for themselves. Slugs and snails come in their millions so a lot of damage from those. Not to mention the clouds of midges lurking in the bushes. Loads of daffs for spring and a collection of the most invasive grasses anywhere.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Ah, Peter, the blight - my first sighting was this morning on my crop of Santé maincrops. :( I won't use non-organic sprays and I found that Bordeaux is next to useless, so I'll wait until the spuds have bulked up just a bit more then cut off all the tops. We must have similar climates. Griselinia grows like wildfire in my garden and I have lots of a bold, red-flowered Escallonia in the hedges. The odd Pittosporum or two as well. Global warming has meant that I can keep my olive tree outdoors all year, and my pelargoniums nearly always survive the winter these days.

Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The Bordeaux mixture didn't stop any of it last year and cutting the leaves and everything didn't only saved a few tubers, most of what I dug up rotted in storage and I hate the smell of potato rotting with blight. The first wave usually hits during the Willie Clancy week, when I am out playing tunes.

It the wind is the worst threat so I try keep the hedgerows as dense as possible with the 'traditional' species that have proven hardy enough to survive here. We've a lot of the stuff you find with all the old cottages: particular types of roses, fuschia and monbretia running rampant along the road side.

Global warming is blamed here for a very notable explosion of bog cotton and ferns this year.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

The best ploy is to grow just earlies or second earlies which bulk up before the blight strikes in July (It's spared me in just one year out of the last 30 I've been growing spuds, and one year I got it before the end of May). We have a farm nearby that sells big sacks of Agria, a maincrop which is the best variety I've ever tried for mash and roasts and jackets.

I've nurtured thick hedges all round my garden too. There was nothing else for it. When we first moved here 21 years ago the house was virtually in an open field and hardly anything would stand up to the salt gales. It was like Southfork-on-Sea. We'd been here just six weeks when a force 11 blew half our roof away and demolished an 18-foot greenhouse. That was at the end of March in 1987 - there was more than one nasty blow that year! Now even an August gale won't get my runner beans.

dwest

Post by dwest »

We have a prairie in the front yard, all the neighbors have mown lawn, we keep it within defined bed lines in an attempt to appease our neighbors but it's a prairie so it's a little like a large chaotic perennial border. A number of the species, Rudbeckias, Silphiums, Vernonias, Eupatoriadelphus, coming on now are over 6ft which also looks a little wild. We have started a sequoia grove in the back to replace the trees we lost in the '93 tornado. And we just harvested our first tomatoes and I made gazpacho Saturday which we polished off last night. I'm fighting the birds for every fig, figs and anise with balsamic vinegar sauce :pint:
We have a mixed species hedge around the property inside a 6ft. wood picket fence, mostly native species with the few obligatory exotic rhodos that everyone is so crazy about around here. In the spring we have a few thousand bulbs at least in the lawn areas, we have friends in the bulb business, and I have a gas powered soil drill which made planting very easy. I have my own saffron patch which I harvest and cure every year.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

the best way to preserve figs is to freeze them on a cookie sheet then put them in a freezer bag, about as good as fresh
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I bring the geraniums into the house during Winter, and they bloom all Winter long. Some of these geraniums are five years old or more. There are also two pots of impatiens that the squirrels didn't destroy.

These State Fair Zinnias (annuals, planted from seed in June) have just started to bloom. They will put out multiple blosoms on each plant, will get about 4 feet tall, and will bloom until the first frost.

We had an old tree stump in the front yard. This year I covered the stump with dirt and planted a little rock garden with some perennial ground cover and annuals. The double petunias in three different colors have been blooming like crazy. There also are lillies of many colors, purple cone flowers, holly hocks, pots of pansies, roses, tomato plants and others around the house. The peonies, poppies, irises, tulips, etc. have bloomed for the year. So far it has been a good year for flowers with lots of rain and no damaging hail or high wind.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'd rather have the woods than the garden. Both my front and back gardens are triangular, owing to the way the Abbot's Brook flows down the boundary. It's a constant battle with ivy and brambles.

We do have primroses, forsythia and japonica, but I prefer the Willow and Hazel trees.

I'd quite like to grow some herbs and edible things, but the garden really isn't suited for that. And I'm definitely not suited for that. Yet.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

late again
can't stay
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Peonies, lilacs, tulips, clematis, butterfly bush, forsythia, roses (very lightly scented, as my husband is allergic to them), snapdragons, pansies, day lilies, ivy, Virginia creeper, iris, petunias, geraniums, other annuals if they catch my eye.

We're in USDA Zone 5 so we have a short summer.
Charlene
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

I've got tomatoes coming out my ears right now, but fortunately my neighbors will help me eat them. I put in three varieties, and also have some volunteers that germinated from fruit that fell last year. No patience for canning, I'm afraid.

We have a bumper crop of basil too this year, and every week I've been making up several batches of pesto, which freezes well in 8-ounce containers. We'll have enough to last all year, which means a gallon or so, as my wife loves this stuff.

I also have cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapeños, garlic, broccoli and onions in the vegetable garden. The corn is all gone now.

Then we have Red Flame seedless grapes, two varieties of rosemary, and an assortment of other herbs. Box hedges, eugenia, bougainvillea (a glorious purple profusion at the moment), hollyhocks (mostly done for the year), juniper and India hawthorn shrubs. An oleander I've been itching to pull out for several years, but SWMBO objects, as it provides a bit of privacy from the neighbor's back door. Our Japanese irises are blooming, and we have a few old, poorly-groomed but nevertheless vigorous roses. In the front yard is a 40-foot American Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) tree, and in the back a smaller fruitless mulberry. Various ferns and succulents, some geraniums and lantana spilling over a retaining wall. Nasturtiums here and there. Sweetpeas on a trellis.

My favorite annual is the California Poppy, Eschscholzia Californica. I have encouraged them to spread, which isn't hard to do around here. They have now naturalized and come up all around the house each year.

Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
dwest

Post by dwest »

Jumper wrote:In the front yard is a 40-foot American Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) tree.
There is a fruitless Liquidambar styraciflua in the horticulture trade now. It is a periclinal chimera, really fascinating, the lobes of the leaves are rounded but occassionally there is some damage to some buds and the pointed lobed leaf genotype will pop out here and there, plus gum balls which my youngest dog thinks are the greatest treat on the planet.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

dwest wrote:There is a fruitless Liquidambar styraciflua in the horticulture trade now. It is a periclinal chimera, really fascinating, the lobes of the leaves are rounded but occassionally there is some damage to some buds and the pointed lobed leaf genotype will pop out here and there, plus gum balls which my youngest dog thinks are the greatest treat on the planet.
Those spiky seed pods (also called "anklebiters" or "bommyknockers") are a bit of a nuisance to anyone shoeless in their midst.

It's a nice coincidence that the front rooms of our 1926 house have wide baseboards, door and window casings, built-in bookcases, sidelights and doors all made from what's known in the lumber trade as Figured Red Gum, i.e. Liquidambar styraciflua. It's quite a beautiful material, and I've stripped six coats of paint and refinished about 600 linear feet of it over the years. At one time the wood was commonly used to make packing crates and shipping palettes as well, but nowadays the nice stuff has gotten a bit costly. In this area the harvested wood does not show much figure, and the pretty stuff all seems to be coming from the southeastern portion of the US.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I didn't have time to list the vegetables: Tomatoes, corn, peas (didn't do well this year), beans, 1 grape vine, lettuce, potatoes.
Jumper wrote: .. The corn is all gone now. ...
I'm jealous - ours is only about 2 feet high and no ears yet. If we're lucky we may get corn in late August or early September. It's been a strange year - we had snow on June 10 and 90 degrees about 2 weeks later.
Charlene