improbably nicknames

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

According to Chambers 20th Century Dictionary, an obsolete form of the name "John" is "Jankin", which apparently mutated into "Jack" and "Jock".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
devondancer wrote:Surnames too, at least here in the UK. "Dusty" Miller (that one's fairly self-explanatory), "Nobby" Clark - why?
In Hindi, "Nabi" means "Clerk". Hence, anybody called Clark in the British Army in India would be called "Nabi" or "Nobby". The slang made its way back but the meaning didn't.
I thought it was from nobs like me?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

dwest wrote:I thought it was from nobs like me?
Please refer back to "Richard Hedde" as listed previously.

:wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Really James is an odd translation from the same name as Jacob. Thus Jacques makes sense, and Iago (consider that J and I are the same original letter in Latin--which makes the Dutch use of J make more sense), from it add Santo and we get the Spanish Santiago.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Walden wrote:Really James is an odd translation from the same name as Jacob. Thus Jacques makes sense, and Iago (consider that J and I are the same original letter in Latin--which makes the Dutch use of J make more sense), from it add Santo and we get the Spanish Santiago.
If you think those are odd, consider the gaelic versions Seamus and Hamish.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You have to be there. "Seumas" or "Seamus" is just "James" with a Gaelic accent. The "intrusive Gaelic Vowel" prevents two consonants from being sounded together so, for instance, the name "Norma" becomes "Norruma", and "James" or "Shames" (with a very soft "J") becomes "Shamuss". There is a different regional accent which tends to pronounce "S" as "Sh" - Sean Connery slips in and out of this - and if you take the "J" as softer yet, or more in a Spanish style "J", it becomes "Hamish".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Not improbable ones but heres some from Dublin that I remember.
Anyone with the surname White, would be nicknamed "Chalky"
Anyone with the same initials for first name and surname especally DD would be called "Double"
If your first name was Raymond you could be nicknamed"Razor"
If your surname was O' something it was very common to stick the O' at the end of your first name (micko or Johno )
Big strong men would be nicknamed either "The Bull"or "The Horse"followed by their surname and of course anyone called Murphy would be nicknamed"Spud"

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

My dad's called John Shaw but just about since birth he's been Jack to everybody, and that's 85 years!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

SteveShaw wrote:My dad's called John Shaw but just about since birth he's been Jack to everybody, and that's 85 years!
And may he be for many more! :)