Ever hold a hummingbird?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rodfish
antispam: No

Ever hold a hummingbird?

Post by rodfish »

This lady lives in a Hummingbird fly zone. As they migrated, about 20 of them were in her yard. She took the little red dish, filled it with sugar water and this is the result.
The Woman is Abagail Alfano of Pine, Louisiana - she has been studying them daily and one morning put the cup from the feeder, with water in it, in her hand; as they had gotten used to her standing by the feeder they came over to her hand. She says in touching they are as light as a feather. Abagail also said, 'if she had known her husband was taking pictures she would have put on makeup.'

What a neat thing to experience! (Makeup or no.) :)
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I can see why she thought she needed makeup, but that has to be magical nonetheless. One time a cousin of mine caught a hummingbird in a little box when it accidentally flew into her house. She kept it a few minutes and then let it go. It was wonderful to see it so up-close. They are so shiny in real life, something that Internet pictures don't fully portray.
Denny

Post by Denny »

way cool! :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've held one- but it didn't have a choice. I held it while the vet splinted it's wing with a sliver of wood. The anesthesia was a bit touchy.It healed and wasl released back to the wild blue yonder.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

cowtime wrote:I've held one- but it didn't have a choice. I held it while the vet splinted it's wing with a sliver of wood. The anesthesia was a bit touchy.It healed and wasl released back to the wild blue yonder.
Now that is cool!!
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I shot one as a kid.

I was just goofing around and I didn't think I would hit it.

I felt really bad.

Helluva shot though.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Gasp.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

They are very sweet! - Must be the sugar-water. I was privileged to hold a kingfisher once.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Aanvil wrote: Helluva shot though.
:lol:

Hummingbirds are great, my brother took some pictures of them when he was on his honeymoon in costa rica earlier this year:

Not quite as cool as holding a heap of them in your hand though.
Dragonwhistler

Post by Dragonwhistler »

I have a friend who breeds them in captivity. I think for the moment he's the only one in Europa who has consistant succes breeding them. Very lovely little birds! I can watch them for hours.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I've banded/ringed a few hundred. Ramsey Canyon AZ is an incredible place to see them as is Bentsen State Park TX.
djm

Post by djm »

These images have been floating around the net for a few years, now. The thing that struck me was that everything I've read on hummers is about how bad tempered they are, quick to anger, quick to attack - other birds, cats, people - anyone they think is interfering or threatening them. These pictures show that hummers can become acclimated to our presence fairly easily, but that they still don't know the lyrics.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:These images have been floating around the net for a few years, now. The thing that struck me was that everything I've read on hummers is about how bad tempered they are, quick to anger, quick to attack - other birds, cats, people - anyone they think is interfering or threatening them. These pictures show that hummers can become acclimated to our presence fairly easily, but that they still don't know the lyrics.

djm
They know them just fine, problem is you have to play them back in slo-mo to be able to understand them :o To us it just sounds like Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :lol:
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I think the real magic and beauty here is the woman.

I haven't got a clue why she needed make up on.
What part of her was ugly?
Jack

Post by Jack »

hyldemoer wrote:I think the real magic and beauty here is the woman.

I haven't got a clue why she needed make up on.
What part of her was ugly?
Not ugly, just not acceptable by what society says women should look like, which is what I took her to mean. Her skin is blotchy and not colored well, she has bags under her eyes, her lips are receding, her teeth are yellowed, she has crows feet, and her hair cut looks like a little boy's. Haley Joel Osment, in fact, resembles her a great deal: Image

In addition, that outfit looks like a cross between what a psychiatric ward patient and a mammy would wear to a picnic. The top alone with jeans or some kind of solid print pants (or the bottom part of a one piece? I can't tell clearly from the picture) would have been fine, but striped pants are not something most people should wear, especially if the pattern is going to cover your whole body.