Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Flute Player that influences you the most

Matt Molloy
35%
Laurence Nugent
4%
Kevin Crawford
19%
Josie McDermott
4%
Mike Rafferty
11%
Seamus Eagan
5%
Catherine McEvoy
17%
Cathal McConnell
5%

Total votes: 113

sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

There are quite a few that have inspired me, but my first 2 cd's were both by Seamus Tansey, he has a great style and very unique, amazing flow and sweet tone to his playing.

sponge :)
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

since nobody has voted for josie yet, i will vote for him, just out of sheer respect for the dude... and of course his many lovely flute tunes ... a fluteplayer's dream. and while talking about flute tunes, then of course we have vincent broderick...
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

AKIBA wrote
Wow, aren't you so very condescending, Mr. Pole-up-your-arse? Too bad you missed my point. My question is--who are your greatest influences and the list was just a starting point for conversation. If you have to be so high and mighty on this humble board, my guess is you probably have something that is "very tiny indeed".
I did not miss your point, and when i read your comment,a few words came to mind. Im beginning to think you have bitten off more than you can chew here. And if you have a habit of shoving things-up-your-arse then youve got problems.
Also the next time you ramble into a session and foul-up a good nights music maybe you should shove your flute up your arse and leave it there, you would be doing the music world a great favour
Have a great day.
Denny

Post by Denny »

kind of a nurturing influence, ain't ya
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

glinjack wrote:AKIBA wrote
Wow, aren't you so very condescending, Mr. Pole-up-your-arse? Too bad you missed my point. My question is--who are your greatest influences and the list was just a starting point for conversation. If you have to be so high and mighty on this humble board, my guess is you probably have something that is "very tiny indeed".
I did not miss your point, and when i read your comment,a few words came to mind. Im beginning to think you have bitten off more than you can chew here. And if you have a habit of shoving things-up-your-arse then youve got problems.
Also the next time you ramble into a session and foul-up a good nights music maybe you should shove your flute up your arse and leave it there, you would be doing the music world a great favour
Have a great day.
Ooo, touchy, touchy. The biter bitten. Can dish it out but can't take it. I'm not surprised. Let's here a clip of your playing; I stand by mine. And your "have a great day" is just pathetic, asinine. You still have yet to respond to the intention of the post, as in who is your greatest influence. Mentioning you know 50-60 fluters who have influenced younger players is just arrogant bravado and way off the mark. In the end, you make me laugh and feel sorry for you.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, could we get a referee on this?

I can not tell which one is worse at this point.

HELP me :D
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Hi
My greatest influence was my Father, Rip, a great flute player, and after that it was my friend Seamus Tansey.
But aside from all that i could feel happy listening to Roger Sherlock, Patsy Hanly, Tommy Guihan, Frank Jordan, John Brady, Donie O Sullivan, Francis O Connor, Mike King,and many more and not forgeting my friend Christy Barry a fine flute player.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

glinjack wrote:Hi
My greatest influence was my Father, Rip, a great flute player, and after that it was my friend Seamus Tansey.
But aside from all that i could feel happy listening to Roger Sherlock, Patsy Hanly, Tommy Guihan, Frank Jordan, John Brady, Donie O Sullivan, Francis O Connor, Mike King,and many more and not forgeting my friend Christy Barry a fine flute player.
Thanks Jack for the positive input, I am going to see about getting a CD from Christy's group. http://www.christybarry.com/
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:
Thanks Jack for the positive input, I am going to see about getting a CD from Christy's group. http://www.christybarry.com/
That site's a bit old (2004 tour?). Custy's has "Late in the Night" flute and accordion with backing:

http://www.custysmusic.com/mall/CustysT ... 703146.stm

I wonder if Christy is any nearer a solo CD? He's a great, very relaxed player. His track on WFO3 is one of my favorites.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Anyone under the age of 60 that says that Matt Molloy has not influenced his or her playing is a f***in' liar.

That said, I try not to be influenced much by him...A lot of people have influenced me somewhat, but I would cite the playing of Jean Michel Veillon as being the flute player that I would most like to emulate, more in terms of tone and phrasing than repertoire (though I do play a few Breton tunes here and there). Other players whose playing I pay particular attention to would be John Skelton, Marcas Ó Murchú, Frankie Kennedy (though there's sadly very little to hear of him solo), Iain MacDonald, Paul McGrattan, Leo McNamara, Conal Ó Gráda, Caroline McEvoy, and Grey Larsen. I've heard bits of Harry Bradley and Gary Hastings that I've enjoyed, but I need to hear more.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Anyone for Mick Tubridy, Mick O Conor, JC Talty, Peadar O Loughlin, Eamon Cotter, Brid O Donohue, Bill McNamara, Paddy 'Organ' Mullins, Joe Bane, Micho Russell, Mick Hand, Tara Diamond, the old McKenna and Morrison recordings?
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

kkrell wrote:
I wonder if Christy is any nearer a solo CD? He's a great, very relaxed player. His track on WFO3 is one of my favorites.

Kevin Krell
I think that piece [An Buachaillín Bán/Flanagan's Reel/McCormack's/The Cliff Dwellers/An Buachaillín Bán] is lovely too, and I'd like to hear more like it from Christy Barry!
~~~~
Barry
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Apologies for the previous acrimony. I don't have a problem admitting I'm not an expert as it appears you are. Thanks for the insight. I certainly have not had the great benefit of growing up and being in such an environment as yourself. All this info is why I started this thread--to learn more. My greatest influences are those I've heard on CD, having very few live examples to learn from--Matt Molloy, John Wynn, Larry Nugent, Grey Larson.

I'm amazed at the wide spectrum that encompasses "Irish Trad Flute" playing, styles being so vastly different. It's one thing that makes this small Irish flute world so fascinating.

Cheers,

Jason
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Tara Diamond, Pat Mahon, Ciaran Somers, Catherine McEnvoy, Peter Horan, and Conal O´Grada are great sources of inspiration
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:Tara Diamond, Pat Mahon, Ciaran Somers, Catherine McEnvoy, Peter Horan, and Conal O´Grada are great sources of inspiration
Any sign of Pat Mahon this time? My trackers failed to trap him.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org