which whistle to give newbies?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tkelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tkelly »

I've gone through the Megs I had around to give to people who fell in love with whistles after hearing or playing with mine. I'm not happy with the overall quality control there -- I'd rather give away fewer whistles and have a better chance at them being good. If you were going to give a whistle to a friend (or three) who might or might not ever get serious about whistling, but who really likes Irish music -- and who might be more likely to stay interested in the whistle if he or she received one that was actually playable -- which whistle would you give?

I don't mind doing a bit of tweaking beforehand, but I'm not sure I'd want to hand someone a gift whistle with a guitar pick glued to it :smile:.

TIA,
Tery
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would say Acorns would be a great choice.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I would recommend sweetones. They have a really nice shaped mouthpiece, come in different colors and sound pretty good. They are what I suggest to my new students.

Sandy
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I like Megs for the curious.
If I see a hearts interest, a connection that may grow to more than words, then I like to give Dixons.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Lee Marsh nails it! That was going to be my answer as well.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

:lol: @ jim

Personally, I'd say Clarke Sweetones or Clarke Origs. They seem to be pretty good concerning quality control, plus they sound good and they not only are good for beginners, but advanced players as well. (of course, that depends on what you're looking for...)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Yep, I also give out Sweetones - very consistent, and easy to play and also inexpensive enough it doesn't break the bank.

Works especially well with kids as they're colorful.

Richard
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Sweetones, for sure. They have the best consistency compared to Gens, Feadogs, Clares, Oaks, and Megs.
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

What is this -- near consensus on sweetones :smile:? Am I on the right list or have I gotten lost in cyberspace :smile:?

That's what I needed -- thanks!

Tery

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2002-12-15 21:57 ]</font>
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2002-12-15 21:56, tkelly wrote:
What is this -- near consensus on sweetones :smile:? Am I on the right list or have I gotten lost in cyberspace :smile:?
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2002-12-15 21:57 ]</font>
Actually, I would recommend Sweetones as well. While I personally don't like its tone, Sweetones appear to be reliable and consistent (I refer to the D only; I have doubts about the C), and they don't need lots of air.

Gens - too much of a gamble unless you are willing and able to test and try all the ones you're buying.

Clarke Originals - I love mine, but others on this board seem to have got Origs that require too much air.

Megs - quality control may not be that good. Inconsistent quality.

Feadogs -- um, let's just say I REALLY don't like them.

I've tried 2 Waltons Guinesses (?) - one was fine, the other was horrible.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Yep, same here. I try to keep some Sweetones on hand. Maybe an Acorn or two as well.

Erik
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Agreed!-The Sweetone D can play nicely, and won't be overblown easily like the Oak. The more I play one bought as a lark, the better it sounds. My Sweetone C has nice tone but needs a four-finger C-natural- the D has an OK two-finger C-natural, but improves with three
fingers.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-12-16 00:18 ]</font>
bassnwhistle

Post by bassnwhistle »

I try to keep a few Megs on hand (all in D). People seem to especially like the 'natural' finish over the black. So far, having unloaded a couple of dozen of the things, they are still my pick. I have no complaints about quality (bearing in mind that I don't actually play one in public). Remember that 98% of the people you give them to will never play them again after the first few attempts. Megs are attractive, decent-sounding, easy to play, and CHEAP. In the rare instance that I find someone who I think will really stick with it, I'll spring for a Dixon or a self-tweaked BlackDog.
If I'm trying to convert someone who can already play a recorder, then the Dixon seems to really work well.
Ian
The best thing about Highland Pipes is that the players can't sing at you.
serpent

Post by serpent »

From the desk of Serpie-Pie:
Meg. I teach a little whistle class from time to time, and buy them by the double dozen. I generally have to toss a couple, but the rest seem to work well. If the folks like the sound, I recommend they get themselves a Clarke trad, a Gen (except for their abominable Bb!), or a Sweetone. Once they're hooked, well... I do have a website... (G)
:grin:
serpent
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

As a kid in Ireland I had a Clarke and couldn't get started because I didn't have instruction. The tone and playability of the gift whistle is reasonably important, but they also need to know what to do with it. I suggest a Sweetone or Meg or whatever, but I would also give some instructions, either downloaded from the Internet (free) or copy something (illegally). Maybe a ripped CD would help too. Going to prison is a small price to pay for helping humanity.
Current stage of grief: Denial