Stupid mistake...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ahogrelius
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Stupid mistake...

Post by ahogrelius »

Today I must have done one of the most stupid whistle related things possible. While making a low D whistle from some really nice looking 22 mm Alu pipe I cut one of my fingertips open; -On the whistle... :o

-I've heard about sharp notes but I've never heard of a sharp whistle... :)

Fortunately it was the R1 fingertip so at least I can play on my low D's but all the others are off limits for a week or so... :cry:

That's unless someone can come up with a tune I can play which hasn't got any F's in it, then I can tape the F hole shut and still practice... :D

-How about the whistle I was making? Well, at least it has a really sweet bell note, more to follow...

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I thought it was funny when the guy in the next office to mine got a pretty nasty cut from the aluminum foil of a yogurt container. Then I did it myself. I thought that was funny enough that the first thing I did was run into the next office and show him that we're both idiots.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yeah, I think few of us are able to completely protect our playing hands from routine injuries in everyday life. Every time I cut a finger, or even break a guitar fingernail, I'm mad at myself for days.

Who was the well-known box player who was a bricklayer by trade, and who took up the instrument after crushing his left hand in a construction accident?

Or there's Alex Green, who whistles despite the loss of fingertips of his right hand. And didn't Donncha O'Briain play with an extension tube of some kind?

I count my blessings and keep my still-intact fingers crossed every day ... :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Gotta be careful. Yes, I have been there too - actually to the emergency room. I received nine stitches in my left index finger after I lost my balance and slipped while shaping a low G whistle beak. I put out my hand to steady myself and it landed on a sharp blade. That was a few years ago. I cut part of a tendon too. It took almost two years to get the strength and flexibility of that finger back to near normal. No whistle playing for a few weeks. It really limited my guitar and mandolin playing for much longer. I did acquire a button box to tide me over while recovering though. And the tools in the shop are much more organized now to avoid future mishaps.
ahogrelius wrote:That's unless someone can come up with a tune I can play which hasn't got any F's in it, then I can tape the F hole shut and still practice...
I suggest you just tape that hole and write your own tune.

Work safe.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Feadoggie wrote: I suggest you just tape that hole and write your own tune.
:D -Great idea but I've just tried playing a bit on my Chieftain low D and my bandaged fingertip didn't affect the pipers grip too much. Perhaps this would be a good time for some more focused practice on the low D...
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

And Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Jerry Garcia. Amazing musicians with impaired hand function.

Best wishes,
Jerry
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Jerry Freeman wrote:And Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Jerry Garcia. Amazing musicians with impaired hand function.

Best wishes,
Jerry
well yeah, but try naming all the musicians with impaired brain function.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kennychaffin »

mutepointe wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:And Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Jerry Garcia. Amazing musicians with impaired hand function.

Best wishes,
Jerry
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

mutepointe wrote:

Best wishes,
Jerry
Geez. I can't think of a single one.

Best wishes,
Jerry
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Geez. I can't think of a single one.
If you lived closer to Woodstock, Jerry, I'd guess the smoke is drifting in your direction. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.