Derek Tastes of Earwax

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

Derek Tastes of Earwax

Post by mukade »

When I think of numbers or dates I have always seen them as part of a 3D line around me. This includes numbers, days, months and years.

For example this is the line I see for numbers.

It is difficult to draw in two dimensions. 12-20 goes off into the distance and 20-30 curves around and up. I have seen it this way as long as I can remember.

I have never mentioned it to anyone, because I thought everyone did the same . However, a few weeks ago I was talking with my wife about the first time I came to Japan in 1993, and she asked me how long ago it was. This happens every time I talk about dates. I had always assumed it was because she was brought up on the Japanese year system and had little reference to western dates. I explained to her about the line I see when I think about numbers and dates and she looked at me as if I had fallen out of my tree. I was quite surprised to find that she has no such line and can't understand the way I see it.

Today I watched a documentary from 2004 (how many years ago?) about something called synesthesia. It is a condition where people see letters or numbers as colours or even tastes. Reseachers think it is caused by two senses overlapping and producing unusual responses.

And lo, in the documentary was a man who saw his numbers the same way I do. I had never heard of this before and I jumped onto the net and on searched around and the first image I found was this:

It was first noted by Francis Galton in a 1881 book called 'The Visions of Sane Persons.' :D People who see numbers and dates this way have a crossing point between numerical and spatial thought.

Some researchers also think that we all once mixed up our senses, and the different range of sensory input could have stimulated language production - an essential ingredient of language is abstract thought.

Apparently it is quite rare and probably genetic. Does anyone out there in Chiff land experience the same?

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Some of my letters and numbers always have colors, but not all of them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jack wrote:Some of my letters and numbers always have colors, but not all of them.
Me too.
Reasonable person
Walden
mukade

Post by mukade »

Researchers think that everyone has, or had, the ability to mix senses.
They also think that most people lost it because it had little use when we could express the world through language.

Several famous musicians, artists and writers such as David Hockey are believed to have synesthesia.
The colour sense mix looks more fun than the numbers. :lol:

You can take tests here to see if you are a synesthete.
http://synesthete.org/

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's very interesting. I do understand your diagram.
They don't wrap around me though.
However, doing math is a very visual process for me. For instance, if I am counting out six in my head, I use dots, as on a domino. (3 rows of 2)
Five is either 2 dots over 3 dots, or 4 corner dots with 1 in the middle. This comes from early elementary math, I think. Perhaps I've never progressed.

To process dates, eg, to remember when an event occurred, I do tend to string the numbers out by tens in a visual time line with the past going left and the future going right. Another vestige of early math. (also, my line doesn't hop from 10 to 10...it stays level.)

(but I used to have to wind up and say the alphabet by rote in order to put letters in the right order too, so I guess I cling to many primitive thought processes.)

I've always assumed that people who were "good" at math--i.e., those capable of manipulating numbers as natively and comfortably as I feel managing letters--could bypass this clunky visual part and instinctively work with the values more directly.
emmline

Post by emmline »

(I'm still trying to figure out how Derek and earwax factor in here.)

I'm also wondering why 12 gets a special, distinct position.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

emmline wrote:(I'm still trying to figure out how Derek and earwax factor in here.)
From the quiz linked
Do certain words trigger a taste in your mouth? Example: Does the name 'Derek' taste like earwax?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:However, doing math is a very visual process for me. For instance, if I am counting out six in my head, I use dots, as on a domino. (3 rows of 2)
Five is either 2 dots over 3 dots, or 4 corner dots with 1 in the middle. This comes from early elementary math, I think. Perhaps I've never progressed.
Sounds more like too many hours shooting craps! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

emmline wrote:That's very interesting. I do understand your diagram.
They don't wrap around me though.
However, doing math is a very visual process for me. For instance, if I am counting out six in my head, I use dots, as on a domino. (3 rows of 2)

To process dates, eg, to remember when an event occurred, I do tend to string the numbers out by tens in a visual time line with the past going left and the future going right. Another vestige of early math. (also, my line doesn't hop from 10 to 10...it stays level.)

(but I used to have to wind up and say the alphabet by rote in order to put letters in the right order too, so I guess I cling to many primitive thought processes.)

I've always assumed that people who were "good" at math--i.e., those capable of manipulating numbers as natively and comfortably as I feel managing letters--could bypass this clunky visual part and instinctively work with the values more directly.
I have always visualized dates in a manner similar to Mukade. I also visualize math problems, but not nearly as well. They say that cosmologists like Einstein, Hawking, and many of the real brains out there do see in very detailed pictures, even to the point of "seeing" how complex equations work out. The visualization part apparently works very well for them, not so well for us common folk.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ronbo wrote:They say that cosmologists like Einstein, Hawking, and many of the real brains out there do see in very detailed pictures, even to the point of "seeing" how complex equations work out. The visualization part apparently works very well for them, not so well for us common folk.
Oh good. So it's not a sign of a math disability that I make brain pictures.
Just a primitive version of what smart people do. I'm reassured. 8)
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

emmline wrote:...
I'm also wondering why 12 gets a special, distinct position.
Yep, I'm also wondering that. Is there some mathematical correlation? Maybe some theory or principle that makes 12 different? After all, 2 different persons had 12 as one of their diagrams' nodes. And 10. Plus they both had similar curvature from 0 to 10 to 12

If it were purely subjective, then wouldn't each person's diagram and visualisation be different? Wouldn't nodes (if any) fall on different numbers?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So like, if i said green, which number and note would others think of?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

I.D.10-t wrote:So like, if i said green, which number and note would others think of?
Depends on whether you're talking to 'Merkins or somewhere with pretty money.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I.D.10-t wrote:So like, if i said green, which number and note would others think of?
G, and E.

It seems really obvious so I feel like you're just being stupid or facetious.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

F is a medium brown.

But for me these things are probably more metaphoric than synesthetic. I can't really tell.

And, they're probably utterly subjective whatever the case, so to call someone "stupid" about it is uncalled-for. It's uncalled-for anyway.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician