In memory of a wonderful friend

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Mrs. James
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mrs. James »

Two of my fondest memories of Chewie.
He was a wonderful little guy that was the "good child" most of the time. One example of that is when we lived in Texarkana, we had a playpen for the Chewie and Bug to play in - kind of a safe area because they would get into everything. I came home from work one day, exhausted but decided I would put them in the playpen so they could play while I napped a bit. I woke up and looked down the hall to see part of the playpen and Chewie just jumping and bouncing up against the playpen wall and looking at me is if to say, "Mommy! Mommyyyy! Mommmy. He's in trouble... Mommy come look!! Come look NOW Mommy!"
So I get up and walking down the hall, trying to figure out what is wrong with the picture. ( I always suck at such games) Then I realize that there was only 1 ferret in the playpen. One. There were two but now one. This is when the panic hits when I see Chewie still dancing and jumping up on the pen wall. But he is not looking toward me directly anymore, but a point behind me. A small, fuzzy, silver point behind me. I turn around and see Bug just dancing behind me, sees me coming and takes off, dooking (ferret laughter, best description of dook) around the corner.
Here I am running after a ferret who thinks this is The Best Game EVER as I make a bounding leap and grab Bug’s hind end just as he almost crawls under the apartment, under the stove. The Little Sh*t.
But from that point forward, Chewie was known as my Little Tattletale.

The second memory was one week James was out of town for work. I was giving the ferrets a run. (Ferret math had occurred and at that point there were four.) I tried to sneak out and Chewie saw an Opportunity added Ornery and raised it to an Adventure. He bounced as fast as his fat butt would take him between my legs and out the door. I got out without a flood of ferrets after me and started down the hall to catch him. The funniest thing is he would bounce a few times and look back, making sure I was after him and dook wildly. Bounce, dook, bounce, dook, Bounce, dook, look back, wash rinse and repeat until a grabbed him up and tickled his belly mercilessly.
He was also the best a ferret human communication. When he had had enough play, Chomp! – Not meanly or in anger, or even to break skin. Just enough to say, “M’kay mommy, daddy, dat iz nuff. I iz tired.”

Gonna miss that little boy.

:cry:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cute Ferret. :cry:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

So sorry for your loss. :(

Was he named for Chewbacca, or perhaps for a fondness for mastication?
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

So sorry for your loss. A good friend of mine recently lost one of her ferrets to adrenal disease also. Both of hers were rescues. Ferrets are cool. I don't have one myself but got a second-hand look at life as a ferret-owner through her.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

fearfaoin wrote:So sorry for your loss. :(

Was he named for Chewbacca, or perhaps for a fondness for mastication?
Yes. :P

Those are not mutually exclusive options where Chewie was concerned.

His full name was "Chewbacca the Munchie," or, if in Voodoo-fert mode, "Chewbacca dem Munchie" (spoken in a sort of hollow, James Earl Jones-ish voice), named after the Wookie, and also because on our first day of owning him, he bit the hell out of both of us on a frequent basis. :lol:

He really was a good little fert, though, and after he got used to his new home and rested up a bit, he was a friendly and happy little guy.

I miss him.

At the risk of sounding like Gollum, he was my birthday present.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sorry, James. :cry:

My youngest daughter keeps ferrets. They are real little characters, and yours looked like a cheeky fella. Great photos.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Ferret, ferret, where you go?
Is there some rest
For thee below?
A place of comfort
Void of grief,
A place of joy
That's not so brief?
A tunnel through the sands of time
To ferret out
The great sublime?

Rest in joy.
Reasonable person
Walden
Bubbie

Post by Bubbie »

I am very sorry to hear about the passing of your friend, James. We form a deep emotional attachment with our pets and the grief we feel can surely be as deep and as real as when any human friend dies.

Rest in peace, Chewie.
Caveat: See 'em play before you swallow what they say.
Bubbie
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Sorry to hear of your loss. losing pets is hard at the best of times :(
Walden wrote:Ferret, ferret, where you go?
Is there some rest
For thee below?
A place of comfort
Void of grief,
A place of joy
That's not so brief?
To ferret out
The great sublime?

Rest in joy.
:cry: :cry: I can't take much more.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:Ferret, ferret, where you go?
Is there some rest
For thee below?
A place of comfort
Void of grief,
A place of joy
That's not so brief?
To ferret out
The great sublime?

Rest in joy.
Walden, that was lovely.

Thank you, my friend.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard